Drinking While Playing

M

Mattyice1478

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everybody seems to say they don't like drinking and playing. I certainly don't get shitfaced when I play but having a few drinks in me has me confident and thinking about what decisions I should be making. When I play live I get really into it, but I can see why alcohol might distract others.

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately that's my weakness I build solid rolls or at least nearly decent rolls , playing freerolls or small buy in tournaments, there would be so much
to tell and to many times the same story repeating ,
so I will just stop at the last one from 2 weeks ago, story that has repeated so many
times , to many ...
I got to 170$ from a 10$ deposit in 8-9 days playing tournaments then ...
the weekend comes, I am having drinks while playing and lose focus and temper and decide that its once more time to play some cash games;
and of course I play at limits that I cant afford and lose all the $ in no time.
Hopefully I will learn one day and stop mixing poker and drinks as they are a big no together...at least for me.

Zumpf

Zumpf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Alcohol and life — things incompatible in principle. There is no such things as a safe dose of poison. Drinking while playing poker means giving not only your health, but also money.

A

Alpha325

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No way I can’t drink I make some stupid bets when I’m intoxicated

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't drink; it is no big loss..

Who drinks when they play? And who drinks when they play online? :confused::elefant:

A better question is: Do you have to drink when you play? I cut down on the drink, so I hopefully have a edge over the buzzed players. Online, drinking might be an advantage, if you need that drink to set the mood, etc.

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
once drank so that after the break and forgot that it's time for me to return to poker to play
I do not drink anymore when I play. only juice of coffee tea and milk.

Lol, fun story. So you drank yourself into forgetting to return to the table in 5-6 mins (a normal break)?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol, fun story. So you drank yourself into forgetting to return to the table in 5-6 mins (a normal break)?
Yes exactly. Then I went to the kitchen and forgot about the break and the tournament. the truth, but it was for me very not beautiful[emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I drink only water - nothing more : )

R

Razaedge

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

I love drinking, but I don’t partake when playing, anything that dulls your faculties like alcohol or benzos is a terrible idea in my opinion.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, it's very rare that I drink when I play. Because I play for money and take the game seriously, I generally don't want to be impaired in my decision-making.

That being said, sometimes in a very social game, or online when I'm playing lower stakes, I'll kick back with a few beers. But I'd never play drunk. Personally I almost never get drunk anyway so it's not super relevant anyway.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:captain:I only drink water and soda when I play online.

L

LILBIGL

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think with 3-4 beers or a glas of whiskey, i`l play a bit better.
that because i take a bit more risk then an my bets are a more authentic then

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not drink at all and do not advise you.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's great to have a drink when playing poker, it makes you lose your adrenaline and become more confident.

drejva11

drejva11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I drink but only water xD, and I eat too at tournaments to get some energy.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd only drink and play if I didn't care about the stakes I was playing. If you're just playing to pass the time and don't care about losing, cheers!:cheers:

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm drinking as I type this. Pint of vodka and cranberry juice. It's a beautiful day right now down South. I am on my porch with my laptop. Grinding some MTTs today.

EDIT: Sometimes you have to enjoy yourself. Live and let live. If I lose a few hundred today, that is fine. Today is a good day. If I were to die tomorrow, I can't take the money with me. So, every once in a while you just have to have fun. :)

Last edited:
8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the theory is easy: don't mix poker and alcohol
the practice; playing freerolls suggests otherwise....
a little alcohol keeps the relaxed state/patience at optimum.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played drunk but this only makes my play bad. Maybe one beer can be helpful to remove stress and make you more relaxed but anything more than that just makes my play bad.

S

Slip_Me_Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who drinks when they play? And who drinks when they play online? :confused::elefant:

I'm surprised to see people say they drink while playing poker! I have a difficult time making poker decisions sober I can't imagine the crap I would pull if I tried to play while I was drinking! I have heard stories about players who could play even better while they were drunk but I've always wondered if this was true or just a good story to tell. I remember watching Scotty win a bracelet while he was obviously way past drunk. It was entertaining but also hard to watch at the same time! Lol

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gambling Rule #1 never drink and play ! Maybe at a small home 1 or 2 drinks. However if you are at my table drink all you want Please :)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alcohol destroys.
destroying people who do not have the willpower, combining alcohol with an important affair.
it was always

Pokericon08

Pokericon08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Control

I see no issues with drinking socially, as long as you control your behavior. Getting sloppy drunk has no place in poker.