Does your family interfere with your desire to play poker?

24hrrad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wife used to play poker online, but her job now takes up all that time, so she does get the attraction to online poker.

Wife has also seen me consistently win or place in smaller poker room tournaments, as well as online.

So the answer is, wife is fine with me playing as i only play poker while she is working and she works alot.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker loves silence in my case, I just flew out of the tournament without getting to the prizes, the thing is that they were distracted at the most inopportune moment. Still, everyone is at home at the same time because of this pandemic.

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my family and the whole country doesnt understand that poker is a game of skill and math and analysis. they think poker is like roulette and 100% gambling even if they know absolutely nothing about the game, and its not frustrating but its sad. people are still so lazy to think so they just judge even if they are lacking so much data...

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Na, I just did my own thing despite their protests. Then I became a pro, author etc. They don't say anything anymore.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, the All CardsChat Community! In my family nobody interferes in cases each other, because the all are adults already,
and everybody understands and respects personal freedom each. Therefore I haven't the problems with the play in the Poker.
And the same I wish Everyone! ;):cool::)

M

Mr_RichRich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling in parents background is always a crime.
Especially when you spend long long time on it . They just feel that there son is getting fooled and lost all his money on such thing.
So poker keeps make me problems with them , like every single day.
But i can't stop doing what i love to do for someone's opinion , even if it's my parents.:D

heeyjean

heeyjean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually no, but i feel they care about my future, and i understand they reasons... so i have to become more profitable.

igorneia

igorneia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
today I don't mind anymore, because today I live only with my mother, but my girlfriend even living far away still pisses.

"there are no paths to happiness, happiness is the way"

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is hard

my wife pisses me off because I play poker all day and I get very upset when she gets in my game.

ahaha! and my family thinks I'm a fool for believing in the reputation of poker sites ... and they underestimate and give me up ... that's annoying gets in the way

K

KAVA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, when my GF starts talking to me I always lose my hands. I prefer to play alone without any distraction. But she does not mind if I play, secretly she hopes I'll get rich from poker but we all know it won't happen.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, when my GF starts talking to me I always lose my hands. I prefer to play alone without any distraction. But she does not mind if I play, secretly she hopes I'll get rich from poker but we all know it won't happen.

hahaha! and you know this secret! ;p

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]I just accidentally gave it allin 'cause my wife bothering me, so poker is good if it doesn't fill you up.[/COLOR]​

All due respect jfofla... Think of it this way:

You didn´t get bothered by your wife. You didn´t have yourself in control..

P

pipayura

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Much of the above, it was with me. In the beginning, my wife raged wildly, she did not like poker. I noticed if she screams, slams the door, throws things, I always lose. I tell her shut up, good luck loves the silence, let us try at least once, she pauses, I won. I asked for help from members of kardchat, and gave me advice, some of which I used. The situation with my wife began to build. I even booked her on pokerstars, and began to teach the game of poker, but she resists. She did not really like poker. But I hope that someday we will become old, and I have instilled in her a love for poker. If you have family problems because of poker, do not hesitate to ask about it here. You obviously find answers. We must of course devote more time to the family, but I can not, in my excitement, zeal for losses and victories. I hope that in the future I will be more comfortable with the poker, not yet obtained. Lastly, love and appreciate and respect their loved ones, and if they really love you, they will understand and you will suffer, forgive and everything will be forgotten.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately many do not accept it at all and think that poker is a game of addiction and not sport, but I believe that when you start to have results and show that it is not just a card game people start to accept it better.

M

MojaParma

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I play poker, my wife sends my kids just then to play with them.

T

TongueLashin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread is a tricky one. Poker can be consuming at times. Certain games play when they play and sometimes my boyfriend refuses to understand. He wants to pick a fight, mess with the internet, threaten to break up, guilt me, insult me, bang on the chair, rattle the table, etc etc etc. I am a non depositer (aside from 1 time for withdrawal verification) looking to take my game from semi pro to full pro and it does take a lot of my time. What sucks is he has seen me withdraw several times now on Cereus, Bovada, and once at Betonline. I have shown him my stats... He does not give a rat's ass. "You just sit around and play games all day." I need a score big enough to silence him. If he will still not be silenced... I may look for my next boyfriend here at Cardschat. LOL

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my parents hated poker when I first learned how to play when I was in high school.
but you just have to sometimes listen to them. Even if there are kind of pissing you off.
there family and they come before poker.

My family wasn't that bad about it, but I think it is just a healthy concern for what is unknown to them; I'm sure they have heard "gambling problems" stories and are just looking out for your best interest. Luckily, my family seems okay with it - probably because of my bankroll management and playing with my own money of course. I think showing them there is a process and discipline (versus just gambling away money) helps to put them at ease a bit.

I stayed single (on purpose) throughout most of my pro career. It just makes things a lot easier.

Also, when I first started playing poker my family told me I was a "gambling addict" and to "stop before I lose everything."

These words motivated me to prove them wrong more than they will ever know. I owe a lot of my success in this game to how pissed off these words made me :)

lol Funny - the irony is that in many cases, when someone tells you you will basically fail: it has huge motivational incentive to prove them wrong. I think it is safe to say you have succeeded in "proving them wrong" :D

Also, just curious, when did your family eventually come around to understanding your perspective? Was it your first MMT win? Perhaps a well-known event you placed well in? Or was it just a time thing they slowly got more used to over time?

As with everything in life balance is the key. I play poker in my free time and without risking money which i can't afford to loose so my family leaves me to play.

+1 I am the same way. Bankroll management is much more than simply "not gambling what you are not okay with losing", but I find that demonstrating there is some system in place helps them feel better about it.

Sounds like there are a lot of "family hates poker" and especially many "wife hates poker" stories here. Actually, this is not the case for me. My father was never a gambler, but he has childhood memories of his father (my grandfather) being big into poker and having competitive poker nights with many people. I don't know the stakes they played, but I know it was decent money because knowing their personalities: they wouldn't play otherwise. Anyway, despite these memories: my father never really learned how to play poker. He was never taught by anyone and poker was always something the "adults only" did. Fast forward about 50 years later and I was the one to teach my father how to play poker. Fairly often we play heads up poker at home and it is a good bonding moment. As a result, yeah I could say my family is supportive of my poker.

This cardschat member knows what they are talking about! :)

p.s. Yes, I quoted my earlier post. I was re-reading the forum posts and felt like commenting on some other posts together (instead of several smaller posts). I figured, why not quote myself as kind of a joke? ;)

A

ankoum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody cares as long as it remains a hobby for me and I only play for reasonable amounts.

F

fegyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every person who doesn't play poker considers it gambling. These are common stereotypes and you need a lot of time to convince they otherwise

C

chs2051

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wife only complains when she wants to do something, and i say can't tourney in 5 minutes

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my wife annoys me because I play poker all day and I get very angry when she enters my game.

If at first it is difficult to make them understand about this game, the reason is that your family members will see it as a game of chance a waste of time and money, but then with time that the good results begin to arrive they change their perspective about of the game although they will always see it as Chance and it is not like that because Poker is a game of skill and like everything in life accompanied with a little luck.

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
They do not like gambling games. Poker is just cards game for free time :)

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my family doesn't bother me.but sometimes they don't like it when I do my duty to play poker