Does poker have to rely entirely on luck?

sidd4rt4

sidd4rt4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
U CAN ADVANGE IN SOME TOURNEYS WHEN U know how to play, then there will be the variance to ruin your planes

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
In the later stages of a mtt you really need luck, you need your better hands to hold and not lose to some garbage

Babale007

Babale007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AL
Chips
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
Seneca

V

Viking26

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You need luck to.. But in procent it s more skill and knowledge

Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think luck can be the key factor in some punctual moments, but on the longrun luck evens out and it isn't determining the quality of a player. A top player isn't relying on luck

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In my opinion, luck is an integral part of poker, if you lack luck, 99.99% of you can lose. But it is not the most important thing, because in poker there are many things that you need to cultivate knowledge and have the courage to see the problem. Poker knowledge and skills are much more important than luck
Great statement, I agree, It's skill that makes the difference in the long run. Luck is key to functionality of any poker game.

TruthFruit

TruthFruit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
In poker, there is a very high variance in the short term ; but very low variance in the long term.
This means that yes, luck is an important part of poker and every single hand/tournament can go one way or another. But when you consider how you tend to see the same faces coming back over and over again at final tables, it shows that skill is much more important in the long run

Lanaiba

Lanaiba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
To quote Phill Hellmuth poker is 50% skill and 50% luck … the only thing you have to work for is ur skill … so … work on it and get better … and to quote Daniel Negreanu if poker is just luck answer me this “why in final tables you always see familiar faces?” They are always lucky ? How so?

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think poker is half luck and half your gaming skills

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is important in poker but in a very low percentage I would say 15 or 20 percent maximum then the rest is reading and learning a lot to continue improving.