Does poker have to rely entirely on luck?

vanmin2152x

vanmin2152x

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VN
Chips
In my opinion, luck is an integral part of poker, if you lack luck, 99.99% of you can lose. But it is not the most important thing, because in poker there are many things that you need to cultivate knowledge and have the courage to see the problem. Poker knowledge and skills are much more important than luck

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a good strategy on a long enough time line "Luck" won't have anything to do with it. In the short term and with bad bankroll management luck can end your poker career before it even starts.

As I once heard said a long time ago, "winning money in any given session is predominantly luck, winning money in any given year is predominantly skill."

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If you have bad luck then it is hard to win. If you learn how to and when to bluff, you don’t need luck.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is based on statistics, decision making and luck, if a player reaches the plateau of excellence, he will only be a hostage to luck, but no player will reach this perfection no matter how good he is, another issue is the mental part that helps us in decision making, so in my opinion poker is based on these 3 elements.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is an integral part in any gambling game. In a table of "equally skilled & experienced" poker players, luck is the variable. In a table with inexperienced players, skill is an advantage until lady luck spanks you in the behind. :)

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, luck is an integral part of poker, if you lack luck, 99.99% of you can lose. But it is not the most important thing, because in poker there are many things that you need to cultivate knowledge and have the courage to see the problem. Poker knowledge and skills are much more important than luck
I completely agree with you. Luck is just part of the game, but unlike our skills and experience, which depend primarily on us, our luck is beyond our control. So all we can do is just improve our skills, our game, accumulate experience and just hope we get lucky :)

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Obviously, in a single game luck can be a major factor but it is provem that in a long run skills are what you need to be successful.

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It certainly doesn't just depend on luck, it depends on the variance, "the die is cast" there will come a time when you will have to "flip the coin" depending on the situation, but if you are a good and constant player it will depend much less lucky...

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does Poker have to rely entirely on Luck?!. It's wrong question! More correctly to ask: Do You need to rely entirely only on Luck in Poker?..
And answer: of course, NO! Because Poker this is a mix of Skill and Luck! But first of all, it's Skill, of course!

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
poker is so tricky and mysterious that we will never fully understand it

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
If it wasn't luck involved the game would be dead. DYSW?

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
No, luck only accounts for 35%, skill is indispensable

MackemMan

MackemMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Without luck you will never win at Poker.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Success in poker is the result of a systemic combination of luck and technique, between skill and intuition. There is no point in being lucky and not knowing how to play strategically, just as there is no point in knowing how to play strategically and not being lucky. Everything must be completely balanced, both luck and refined poker technique.

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Luck is a significant factor in Texas Hold'em. The distribution of cards is random, and sometimes the outcome of a hand depends on getting favorable cards from the deck. However, skilled players can use strategy, psychology, and odds calculation to minimize the impact of luck and improve their chances of winning over the long run.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Everything in life has to have a bit of luck, but knowledge, strategy, skills, are important factors

UngureanuDan

UngureanuDan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You have to learn the game, luck then will be a very small part of it, poker is balance, good day and bad day, learn from both!

23maxim88

23maxim88

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is 50% luck, 25% skill and ability to play, and 25% instinct, intuition, and opponent analysis.

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Depends if you know what you are doing or not. I would say not. My husband is a lot more proficient than me and I’ve seen him play heads up and watched him betting hands that I’d fold instantly. To a point getting the cards you need and hitting is Luck, but you also need to know the affect of position, bet sizing, table perceptions, have the ability to read what your opponent is playing. This is all skill and takes experience and time to gain.

Knowing what hands to push with when is a skill. Patience is a skill needed in tournaments as is staying calm, moving on from a loss not letting it affect your game. Knowing when to fold isn’t luck, knowing you don’t have to go all in and risking your tournament every time you play a hand isn’t luck.

So no. You could cash without even having decent hands with betting at the right times from the right positions

Unless you are playing the hourly free roll on party, after level 12 it’s a rat race and yes depends on luck lol

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Much more skill, because luck or bad luck will never last long if you know how to control what you know!:unsure::unsure:

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi
Luck can certainly play a decisive role, but our attitude towards the game, our discipline, our patience, our perseverance and consistency, our skills and experience combined, in my opinion, far outweigh luck.

kabokinha

kabokinha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Of course not, some bad bets happen, but it also happens that you hit the best possible card on the river sometimes

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
lucky is a big part but game psychology and knowledge is also important. in live game if you can convince the opponent you have a better hand then them through table talk you can win too

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe luck has a important role on poker of course, but you also need skills and for me, the most important, a good poker mentality. It's a fact that you're not going to win everyday, so, you need to take advantage of your good days and try to win as much as you can and try to reduce your losses on your bad days.

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Luck forms an important percentage in the game. Although it is true you can play and you can win sometimes thanks to luck. They will be a very small percentage, since the game has more to do with strategies that good players will apply by applying mathematics and psychology.