ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Do you consider yourself an anxious person, and do you believe this hinders your poker performance?

Do you believe that poker results are related to your mental state?

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Seriously?
Why do you permanently ask rhethorical questions where everyone knows and has an answer?
Is there someone fishing for statistics or something?

And not to be off topic too much:
Yes sure it does for a lot of people and I am sure everybody has lost control over emotions at the table at least once. Be that anxiety or overdexcitement it usually leads to bad results since emotional reactions are not solving problems in a rational and efficient way.
Ask Spock for more.

Last edited:
ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Seriously?
Why do you permanently ask rhethorical questions where everyone knows and has an answer?
Is there someone fishing for statistics or something?

And not to be off topic too much:
Yes sure it does for a lot of people and I am sure everybody has lost control over emotions at the table at least once. Be that anxiety or overdexcitement it usually leads to bad results since emotional reactions are not solving problems in a rational and efficient way.
Ask Spock for more.
Thank you for your answer, it's just content for the forum, I appreciate your answers.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thank you for your answer, it's just content for the forum, I appreciate your answers.
But why triple thread one topic?

To topic:
Sometimes emotional reactions also help since they are very well connected to our subconsciousness. They can be signs for a similiar situation where we have already been through but we don't remember it actively.

Achrarock

Achrarock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
Yes, anxiety can negatively impact poker performance by affecting decision-making, concentration, and overall mental clarity. Managing stress is crucial for optimal play.

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think tilting is a much bigger factor than anxiety.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think anxiety (and any other mental health problem) can affect your poker results. When you're not 100% mentally ok, it's easier to be on tilt or you don't have the patience and focus to wait for the right hand.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Считаете ли вы себя тревожным человеком и считаете ли вы, что это мешает вашим результатам в покере?

Верите ли вы, что результаты в покере связаны с вашим психическим состоянием?
Certainly. The results of poker games and tournaments are directly dependent on mood and mental state

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, if you are worried about something, you won't be able to play poker normally and enjoy it better. When something worries you about not playing poker and trying to do what you care about, the poker result depends on your anxiety and your anxiety

R

rufininha14

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Without a doubt, when you are anxious the trend will cause you to lose focus and make you play in a negative way, hindering your performance in the game.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Do you consider yourself an anxious person, and do you believe this hinders your poker performance?

Hi
The psychological state clearly affects the player's decisions, actions and results. If I'm in a bad mood, I never start a game, because such a game will only lead to losses.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
of course, irregularities on your feelings makes you take bad choises

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I think it's quite normal to be anxious at table specially if you're a new player just starting out and even an avg rec/hobby player coming back after a longish break. I've been both.

What I did to battle this was back before I first started playing on Pokerstar's play money tables. Help get me comfortable with the software and the online game flow. I still was a bit nervous when I deposited my first $150 and started on real money tables. but I'm sure I was less nervous then I would have been had I not played a bit of the play money tables.

After a few years of playing I took my first 2-3 break. Upon coming back I was a bit nervous. Turns out poker is just like riding a bike. Once you got it you got it and you just pick right up where you left off before the break. My last break was about 5 years long. Was pretty nervous coming back after 5 years away. I was nervous for first 7k-10k hands. After that I got comfortable and it like riding bike. Player pool had changed that much.

EDIT: If anything it makes one more careful and tight when it comes to ranges.

Cheers!!!

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Calm is very important. But alas, it is very difficult to preserve it.

broncho

broncho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
Absolutely, let's break it down. When you're feeling anxious, it can mess with your poker game. Why? Because poker needs a clear head for smart decisions. Anxiety can make you second-guess yourself, act on emotions like fear or frustration, and even mess with your focus.

Imagine trying to play your best when you're stressed out – it's not easy. Anxiety might lead you to make moves you normally wouldn't or react poorly to the ups and downs of the game.

To handle this:

1. Take a Breath: Literally. Deep breaths can help calm your nerves and keep you centered.
  2. Real Talk: Understand that poker has its ups and downs. Don't put too much pressure on yourself for every single game.
  3. Time Out: If it gets too much, step away. Sometimes a break is all you need to reset your mindset.
  4. Talk it Out: Share your feelings with others who play. They might have been through the same thing and can offer some helpful advice.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm a anxious person, but I'm very calm most the time I play. If I have a game plan, I try to stick to it. But sometimes the sequence of bad cards is so big that I get bored and go all in with low odds. If it folds well, if it gets eliminated, I'll have a coffee and do something else.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm a anxious person, but I'm very calm most the time I play. If I have a game plan, I try to stick to it. But sometimes the sequence of bad cards is so big that I get bored and go all in with low odds. If it folds well, if it gets eliminated, I'll have a coffee and do something else.
I do exactly the same thing when things don't go right.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes odcourse. But I have lately started meditating. It helps.

TruthFruit

TruthFruit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Do you mean anxiety at the poker table regarding your mood and the situation at hand ; or do you mean anxiety as a psychological condition/disorder ? Like : do someone suffering from regular panic attacks or similar condition (or from a ptsd of some sort) in their everyday life could nevertheless perform well at poker ?

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Fortunately, I don't have any psychological health issues. On the contrary, poker helps me to distract myself from all the problems I have. I don't know what I would do without poker. Or rather I do, but I don't have enough money for it. :cool: