Does age matter in poker?

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
age does not matter when you develop in poker, experience in the game will make your process better and better and you can be profitable in the long run.

slysilvosilvo

slysilvosilvo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
Im 56 - playing since 1993 --- and if the age matter? no still getting beaten every now and then from younger player - younger I mean when the difference is 15+yrs (just look at the online games - you dont know how old the opponent is)

slysilvosilvo

slysilvosilvo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
I turned seventy this year and celebrated by playing poker tournaments in Vegas. I play three or four or five online tournaments each week, two or three on my monthly weekends in New Hampshire, and every month or month and a half I drive down to Foxwoods for one. :)
Thats a good plan for pension... I plan the same ...

Pityesz1974

Pityesz1974

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I am 49 years old and have been playing poker for at least 15 years. With minor interruptions I play almost every day.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Age is not that important, experience on the other hand, is.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I started playing poker at the age of 22, although there was a big break for several years, but now I've started again, I've been playing for a year and a half)) age is not important, the way you think is important.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I'm 29 years old and I've been playing poker for a very long time and I'll tell you no matter how old you are and how many years you've been playing poker. It's also not very important to develop playing poker and constantly learn poker, then you won't stand in one place and go ahead and stand in first place

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that age is not particularly important in poker, but your skills are important. There was nothing stopping Doyle Brunson and, for example, Phil Ivey from playing together at the same level.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I'm 47, I'm playing very little poker lately. I'm only participating in the PS CC freeroll

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am now 68 years old, and still play occasionally, I have been playing for over 20 years and made several small Bankrolls On-line But the main reason I took up On-line Poker was because my eyesight deteriorated to a point I could not see the balls properly on the Snooker Table.
I have always been more of a Player than a watcher, probably why I don't like Football as much as I used to, As a kid I loved football and played at every opportunity, but as I got older and found I couldn't chase a ball around I lost interest and preferred Pub games like Pool, Darts, Snooker and of course Card games.
There are many players in the Snooker World that have made it their profession, but I never believed I was good enough to do that myself. Likewise with Poker, Sure I have made some money from the game, but to make it a career, I am a realist There is no way I could make it my Profession.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Poker is a game regardless of age. (Except that it is a game of chance, so only adults can play.)
But it can be played even at the age of 70, and nowadays anyone can play from anywhere via a laptop, even lying in bed.
Just look at Doyle Brunson, who even went to the prestigious races over the age of 80.

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm 64, been playing about 10 years. Pretty sure I regularly beat players decades younger than me. I think intelligence, experience, and demeanor are more important factors than age. Though I think younger players, on average, tend to be less patient and more inclined towards tilt than older players, especially newer players.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm 40 years old, I've been playing poker for a year... How old are you and how much do you play?
I will be 43 in December. I have been playing poker for about 7 years. The first 2 years I played badly because I didn't understand many things. With time and experience, my game has improved, especially since I became a member of the CardsChat community. For the last 3-4 years I have a regular income from the game, my bankroll is growing and I feel great :cool:

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Of course it matters, experience comes from playing for years, that's important to be successful

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think age doesn't matter at all, what counts is your experience and skills at the tables

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, neither the gender of the player nor the age does not matter for playing poker. I'm 40 years old, and I've been playing poker for three years.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm in my 50's. Although I've played NLHE for maybe 15-20 years, I've only been serious about poker since the pandemic.

I've always been keen to continue learning as I've aged. In my line of work (IT, Data, InfoSec) one simply must keep studying or else you become obsolete. it does become more challengin for me with age.

When I was a young whipper snapper, as the say, I could absorb a disgusting amount of information...and recall it. I can still learn a lot now, however, it is by no means as effortless. Now I need to take read, take notes, review notes, read key themes/ideas aloud in order to reinforce those synaptic junctions. My indexing isn't as good as it used to be...so recall is affected and can take more time to locate that piece of memory.

So -- I think there are advantages young bright minds can bring to the table. When it comes to poker, I think poker theory, whether exploitative or GTO or a mixture, is more important than poker experience. In fact, the only thing relevant in terms of experience is your hand history -- ie the data you've got on others...turned into intel.

The game has changed a lot over the years. GTO has significantly changed the landscape of poker in the past five years. Sure, an old dog can pick up a book on GTO, but it isn't the same as starting out with GTO as a basis for your strat. Sure you can learn French, but if your native tongue is English, your French will never be as good as a native speaker. I'm old ernough that I learned to code/program. Procedural programming. I later learned object-oriented programming, but have never been as strong at it as for procedural coding.

Blah blah blah... Long story short... You're not going to be a pro, just because you're young...but you have some advantages. That said, we' oldies are not ready to roll-over and die yet.!

Cheers,
JT

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think it's one of the most beautiful things about poker. No matter how old you are, you can always start playing and get good at it.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm 40 years old, I've been playing poker for a year... How old are you and how much do you play?
I am now 128 years old and yes, I have been reincarnated into the fox that is in my ava. Sometimes my fleas don't let me play long in poker, sometimes I go out into the woods to hunt wild chickens. But I love poker as much as I love my charming smile. And what about age? Nah, age doesn't matter for a successful game. :eek::ninja:

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don’t think so. I believe that experience is more important than age.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe so, when that age is accompanied by experience in poker. I'm 41 years old, I've been playing for 10 years as a hobby. I don't practice to be a professional.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I turned seventy this year and celebrated by playing poker tournaments in Vegas. I play three or four or five online tournaments each week, two or three on my monthly weekends in New Hampshire, and every month or month and a half I drive down to Foxwoods for one. :)
Good on you! I myself am going to NH for Christmas and I'm hoping to see what they have done at Gateway (Boston Billiard Room) and maybe hit the poker room in Concord as it is 15 minutes from my daughter's home.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All ages can play poker. The main thing is how well they play. I didn’t see any retirees among the professionals.

Arthurinacio17a

Arthurinacio17a

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
we see young players going well and old player too, the gaming experience is more important.