Do you think poker will one day be an Olympic sport?

D

daibert murillo

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, poker is a game of chance, and for many people, games of chance don't like watching them.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I hope it will be an Olympic sport at some point, because I think a good game of poker puts your mind to good use.

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am sure that it will never happen. In the short term, poker is very dependent on luck. In the long term, it doesn't. At the Olympics, the best athletes compete. I already see the first problem there, because first you would have to qualify for it because otherwise theoretically everyone could participate there. Secondly, I see a problem in the duration. In order to choose the really best, one would have to adapt the rules in poker or have several tournaments played. Both are time-consuming.
I therefore see a lack of foundations to consider it an Olympic game.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, simply because it is not a sport, it will never be a sport. And people that seem to think it is, are kidding themselves on.

W

watup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some people wish it would, its just no sport, so no

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
If poker gets in the Olympics then Yu-Gi-Oh master duels should get in and while we’re at it all Competitive card games.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
And don’t forget chess ♟ I don’t think 🤔 poker will get in before chess.

B

Bettingsocks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GR
Chips
It wouldnt be the same. Also its gambling

NSX_Amfe2nat

NSX_Amfe2nat

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would love to see poker become an Olympic sport in the future

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No, because people don't appreciate this sport and think that it leans more towards gambling.

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The inclusion of poker as an Olympic sport is a complex decision that depends on several factors. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Legality and Cultural Acceptance: The legal status and cultural acceptance of poker vary widely across different countries and regions. For poker to be considered for inclusion in the Olympic Games, it would likely require widespread legal recognition and acceptance as a skill-based sport rather than a form of gambling in those jurisdictions where the Olympic Committee operates.
  2. International Federation Recognition: To be considered for Olympic inclusion, a sport usually needs to have an established international federation that governs and promotes the sport globally. While there are various poker organizations and associations worldwide, there isn't a single universally recognized governing body for poker at the international level.
  3. Olympic Criteria: The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has specific criteria for evaluating potential new sports for inclusion in the Olympic program. These criteria include factors such as popularity, participation levels, worldwide appeal, universality, and adherence to the Olympic values. Meeting these criteria can be challenging for poker due to its association with gambling and the perception of it as a recreational activity rather than a traditional athletic pursuit.
  4. Competition Format: The Olympics typically feature sports with clear rules and a defined competitive format. Poker, as a game with numerous variants and evolving strategies, presents a challenge in terms of establishing a standardized format that can be easily understood and broadcasted to a global audience.
  5. Public Perception: Public perception and acceptance of poker as a legitimate sport can also influence its potential inclusion in the Olympics. Some people view poker primarily as a gambling activity rather than a skill-based sport. Shifting this perception and highlighting the strategic and competitive aspects of the game would be important for gaining wider recognition.
While poker has gained popularity and is recognized as a mind sport in some contexts, the path to becoming an Olympic sport is not straightforward. However, it's worth noting that the landscape can evolve over time, and new developments may impact the possibilities in the future.

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
It depends on the popularity of poker.
I think poker is a sport based on intelligence.
If there is a desire, poker can be considered an Olympic sport in the future.

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Which Olympiad include poker, summer or winter? Or both at the same time?)))

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No , poker bridge , chess , backgammon etc are games ,not sports . But i do think there is something called a 'Mind Sports Olympiad ' series.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hell no lol, Olympics is about physical talents of various types... there is nothing physical about poker

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't think so :), it's too much based on luck :), it doesn't really hold on what you do :)
Although it was ruled as luck based its far from the case... I'm surprised as a player you think such a thing lol

drinker

drinker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it will never be, but inside me I do want it to be a recognized and Olympic sport. But I also understand that there are even more premier sports than poker that are waiting to be played at the Olympics. eg like paddle tennis, chess, etc.
I do not think that poker will be recognized as an Olympic sport. Personally, I do not believe that poker is a sport in the classical sense of the word. Although, perhaps, poker can be called an intellectual sport.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it is probably unlikely that poker will be included in the Olympic Games in the near future, but in the long term, anything can happen.🤔

ElScorcho008

ElScorcho008

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I doubt that it will. I would love to see it, but there is just too much luck involved imo