Do you think poker should be a olympic sport?

J

jancika77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely no.
Poker is form of gambling and there is a lots of luck involved before skill.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
No , it should not be a olympic Sport ever. cos the Sport is all about endurance and skill. poker is about skill and luck . its a part of gambling Thing , and shd remain the same.

M

misko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me poker is not a sport.
No poker cannot be a olympic sport.

developer716

developer716

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
although it is not a sport should be included in the Olympics)))))))))))))) joke

R

racorel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
would be good to be an Olympic sport...is a game that depends a lot on skills .... consistency, attention, patience, trust, short is an art, a science:)))

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol Its funny idea but poker just isnt sport :)

S

sotakid80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no! i love poker but its not for the olympics.

wilmer907907

wilmer907907

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reviewing the " Olympic Charter " found it to be included in the Olympic program , a sport must meet the following:
1.1.1 . Must be a sport widely practiced in at least 75 countries and 4 continents by men, and in at least 40 countries and 3 continents by women.
1.1.2 . Sports widely practiced in at least 25 countries and 3 continents for the Winter Games .
1.1.3 . Sports that they have adopted and implemented the global anti-doping code.
1.1.4 . They will be admitted to the program of the Olympic Games at least 7 years before the Games.
Also remember one of the last decisions of the IOC , limit the number of sports to 28, 300 tests and 10,500 competitors. These measures include the possibility of new sports in the Olympic program is limited because not many causing low . The brake on the number of participants and sports is caused by the increasing costs and complexity of the Games.
A clear example is the Karate that he almost become part of the Olympic program . Only Spain has 64,884 licenses , of which about 35,000 are male and a female 12000 ( the rest are without breakdown ) . CSD data are referred to the 2006 season. With that number of licenses is only behind Football , Basketball, Golf, Handball , Tennis , Judo and Athletics . Between 5 continents there are 106 recognized federations (national) . Finally , have perfectly adopted the World Anti-Doping Code .
Some refers to economic reasons and problems between the different federations , and must say that karate has many styles and this makes joining the program despite being considered by the IOC as a sport first level . Anyway, I should find a way to unify or styles, and try to make a firm request for 2016. - I am still unable to comment on the Karate so I hope your write - Meanwhile , I leave an interview with Ivan Leal Interview with a similar orientation , and the final of the World Championship in Tampere last year.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why does this topic not die???? It seems every year or so someone starts one......

Poker is a card game. Not a sport. Why would anyone even remotely think it should be an Olympic sport? Might as well put computer games in there too.

You can train your poker game, be one of the best there is and still get beat by the worst player in the world.

nuff said.......

P

Pandaaaaa88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
who will play at this? People plays for money, wsop will gave you much more money neither OG. But i want that poker be part of OG, because poker is under the ban at Russia and this innovation will solve this problem

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes but if it doesn't replace something more serious. I do understand that "something more serious" is a thing of oppinion and for me judo will always be more importaint than let's say bob slay.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously............. how in hell is poker a sport? It is a friggin card game where anyone anywhere from zero to infinite experience, skill and knowledge can partake. People sit on their asses and dont move for hours except to piss or w/e.

A ridiculous thread with even more ridiculous responses.

Suggestions for new olympic sports.....
Spelling bee.
Checkers
coin flipping
crossword puzzles

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't agree it's a sport. So I vote No for the Olympics :)

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would expect to see Chess become an olympic sport before poker does.

The reason why I would be surprised if poker ever became an olympic sport is because in Poker, the best player does not always win. The only way it would work is if the competition consisted of many thousands of hands in order to significantly reduce variance.

I think if Poker did become an olympic sport, the field of competitors would be wider in age range than typical olympic sports....It would be interesting and I would DEFINITELY watch it though

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would expect to see Chess become an olympic sport before poker does.

The reason why I would be surprised if poker ever became an olympic sport is because in Poker, the best player does not always win. The only way it would work is if the competition consisted of many thousands of hands in order to significantly reduce variance.

I think if Poker did become an olympic sport, the field of competitors would be wider in age range than typical olympic sports....It would be interesting and I would DEFINITELY watch it though

Rather than the best not winning, non-professionals can win in poker. Worst player can win the main event.

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont agree. the poker is game of probabilities and more then that is the fact to play poker you dont need to get fit or do your workout hardly like the others sports, you know what i mean?
i think it shhouldnt be promoted to the olimpic games. but it is a nice discussion.

The only way it would make sense to include poker as an olympic event is if chess and other games such as backgammon get included first. And then, 1on1 poker could be added, but will need players to play many games against each other, to minimise the amount of luck - kind of like in snooker where WC is best of 35 (?) frames

redwhitealex

redwhitealex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a way to have a good time with friends or a bottle of beer while away the evening online, but not going port, especially Olympic))) should be regarded more as a hobby in order to earn)))

H

hastiegringo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is more poker shown on ESPN where I live than most other sports. ESPN is a sports channel so someone out there thinks poker is a sport.....

Personally, Id rather watch it than Equestrian, or shooting.....or synchronised swimming.

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am probably the biggest fan of poker out there but hell no!!!

G

Game_Gran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although this has been said here before, I'll say it again. Poker is not a "sport" and should not be in the Olympics any more than backgammon or Scrabble should. Sports have an active "physical" component that poker does not come anywhere near. In fact, it might be the exact opposite if I think of how my rear end feels after a three hour session!

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think no. but it would have been awesome to watch Phil Hellmuth explode in sochi when some japs k7 cracked his AA!

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think no. but it would have been awesome to watch Phil Hellmuth explode in sochi when some japs k7 cracked his AA!

"japs"
You do realize that it's a racial, derogatory term towards Japanese people, right?

CardKing777

CardKing777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Originally Posted by BadB420

"japs"
You do realize that it's a racial, derogatory term towards Japanese people, right?

WOW!! Looks like BadB420 needs a lesson in humility and ethnic manners! Don't the numbers 420 have something to do with smoking dope?

If I'm right about the numbers thing then in BadB's case it worked!!

HE IS A DOPE!!!
:mad: