Do you play using the statistics or do you play by feel?

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Only by feeling. To this day I have never bought a HUD.

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
I play based on both of those factors

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I recently managed to buy the PT4, and I recognize that it helps a lot when making the best decision.

F

Fastball

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
I tend to use a mix of both strategies. Relying on statistics gives a solid foundation and understanding of the game, but incorporating intuition allows for adaptability in unpredictable situations. Each approach has its own merits depending on the game's context.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a little of both really. sometimes i call just to see how the opponent plays a hand

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If statistics are allowed, not using them is a very bad idea. It's the same as having a sports car, pulling out the original chair and putting a wooden chair in there. It's comfortable, it brings a lot of profit, and especially if you play a lot of tables, the sensations alone will not be enough for you. You can be proud of your abilities as much as you want, but the fact that people who use statistics earn more is indisputable.

theoxy

theoxy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never used a hud and yesi play for my feelings and what i see at table.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
never used any, have thought about it many times though

Ingryd

Ingryd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I use probability more than statistics. Patterns are easier to notice throughout a tournament. This works well for me. Example when the flop comes two queens in the next hand Come Q9o I fold automatically

M

Misanthrop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
I dont use a hud, i try to use probabilities and stuff... its a huge struggle for me though

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I do both, I know stats can lead you to a good future, but some times you have that feeling this is the one hand, usually loose them xD

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bit of both, online I will take a glance at basic stats and notes. I do find at times a more in depth look at stats during play can be a distraction. In live play, much of it is based on observation and instinct.

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Other than statistics and rare gut feeling, i play most of the time in position.

kabokinha

kabokinha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I prefer to use statistics, I like to make rational decisions and this has been working very well for me

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I’ve never used “stats” or additional software, but I do consider “likely hood” /“odds” in an overall sense. If I’m on a draw for 7 to hit my straight…I don’t know the exact odds or likely hood that it will come, but I know there’s only 4 in a deck and there are x number of cards remaining so the odds are not great. That said…if the bet is small enough I might still call.

The call might be because I’m hoping to get lucky, or it might be because of who I’m playing or how I’m viewed at the table…if they are super tight or if I can make my opponent believe I already have the straight…then playing the hand works. That’s the “ feel” of the game/hand.

Remember…you don’t actually have to have a hand…you just have to have your opponent think you have one that is better than theirs. The only way to know if you can convince them of that is by feel.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play using statistics in my head and only leave 10% for my mental capacity to believe when they lie to me and call me bluffing in poker. But I almost always play with real poker statistics.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think it's a mix of both things. I try to play my cards based on statistics, position, and the range I believe my opponent perceives I have. Now, when making a crucial decision, it's not just about your cards, so I think that's where a lot of the "feel" comes in. Anyways, trying to identify patterns in your opponent's play and observing how they behave can be a part of that intuition and it ultimately becomes more of an analysis than a feeling.

mbermejo174

mbermejo174

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
i'm not good enough with statics yet, i'm a feel , im doing well so far!

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I use PT4 and HUD where possible. It's incredibly helpful on multiple tables.
Of course, there are no statistics, even 100 if someone can't interpret them, so it's not for everyone.
At the same time, intuition also plays a role, intuition comes in handy in many cases.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play live poker, I think you can play more based on your feel. I play more online and I usually use both even though I've always read you should use more the statistics than your feeling.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I never use statistical programs. All kinds of analyzers and so on, all this is not for me. But at the same time, I don't make decisions based on feelings. I play relying on my own skills and experience. Intuition, in my opinion, is quite a changeable factor, which I sometimes take into account, but nevertheless I make logical, but not intuitive, decisions.

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm amazed how many people on this think understanding the probability of making a hand is somehow worse than guessing based on what you think might happen. Also people talk about not using a HUD, that means they are playing online. People who think you can play by anything other than previous betting patterns of a play are deluding themselves. I only play live.

C

Cookiemonster19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LV
Chips
I dont have such a mathematical brain so im surely playing by feeling