Do you feel a little embarrassed getting caught bluffing?

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope, not at all. Sometimes you have to put your opponent in a very tough spot. If you consider your range vs theirs and come to the decision they're capped, jamming puts them in a really awful spot. Sometimes you just have to unload and make a move, you can't always wait for hands or pray to sun run. Just play your game and the rest is out of your hands.

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't remember being ashamed to bluff kk
It is part of the strategy, it is one of the most profitable moves, but you have to have courage kkk

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why should I feel embarrassed? The few times I reveal a bluff it is to set up a play on later hands. :cool:

36yankees

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it pays to bluff sometimes it doesn’t that’s poker. I’m never embarrassed when I get caught it’s a sneaky play for a possible monster hand later on in the game

J

jorgejarapy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I feel a little annoyed, but seeing the positive side is a very good strategy, since the other players at the table will end up paying strong hands, thinking that you are bluffing

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Embarrassed wouldn't be the right word, but I am more vulnerable after the discovery of the bluff.

Danximo

Danximo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am caught bluffing, I regard it as a good bluffing trap the next time, my rivals often think that the second or third time I bluff again, and come across my monsters. But at the first showdown of a bluff, I feel only anger. And then the thought calms me that I can use it next time

S

scindor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A little maybe on the other hand it´s very satisfying when a bluff works :)

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I felt the same way

I always feel a little embarrassed when I get caught bluffing. And it is weird since bluffing is part of the corner stone of poker.
I use to feel the same way than i realized that if your not getting caught bluffing than your not bluffing enough. When you mix up your good hand with our bluffs and they catch you sometime than they will have a hard time putting you on a hand. They won't know if you have a hand or your bluffing.

K

kaktus56rus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kaktus

of course, the best part is when the bluff works.all means are good in poker.and if the bluff didn't work don't be embarrassed

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't feel embarrassed at all when I'm caught bluffing. In poker you have to do your best to win regardless of the situation.

Rocky87345

Rocky87345

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't care if I get caught bluffing really unless its for my whole stack. I love it when I catch somebody else in a bluff though its self satisfying and I especially like it when I have a feeling that they're bluffing and so I call them and I prove myself right.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think bluffing without embarrassment is necessary in certain circumstances with a decent bankroll.

C

CaptainXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heck no. You’re supposed to bluff sometimes, it would be odd not to. Under some circumstances I might decide the next few hours were not a good time to bluff because I had been caught, which would also mean my raises with great hands were less likely to be folded by opponents.

N

ntf1125

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. It´s more painful to loose chips than embarrasement.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always feel a little embarrassed when I get caught bluffing. And it is weird since bluffing is part of the corner stone of poker.

I think this is one of the greatest challenges with bluffing and with being a great player.

From a survival instinct, lying and stealing go against our human nature. If in history we were caught lying or stealing we would likely be kicked out of the tribe which would lead to likely death in the wilderness without the support of our family.

While we as humans evolve and technology evolve, a lot of these instinctual things from millenia past are still in our DNA. I think this is where the bluffing dilemma comes into play.

When we are 'caught' bluffing (even the word caught has an implication that we were doing something we shouldn't have been doing) the other players will see that we were trying to 'steal' the pot and that's a big no-no just about everywhere except for the poker table. And I think this is where the feeling of embarrassment or shame creeps in when our bluff doesn't get through. It's just a natural instinct to not want to do dishonest things, much less be caught publicly doing them.

The task therefore is to recondition your mind so that it understands when you are playing poker, you are playing a game, and the game is about winning by playing well. And that the actions you take on the poker table need not reflect ones you'll take off the table.

When we can reaffirm in our mind that people won't judge us off the table by how we play on the table it can sort of override this hesitation and fear of getting caught. This also bring the nervous levels down when going for a bluff, because both the fear of being caught is lessened and the fear of losing money are lessened (because we've told the mind that we're just playing a game and that in the game winning and losing is ok).

That's another fear of bluffing, we as humans are not programmed to enjoy losing or wasting money... man... so much psychology that carries over into poker, I love it!

Anyway, this is where using pre-game meditations to connect with your subconscious mind can be very helpful and turn off the natural programs that keep you from executing on the plays that can make you money in the long run.

Hope that helps! & Here's a little video on the optimal way to bluff vs different opponents

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn’t describe these felling like that but I do agree that we felt something strange and awkward when it happened. More like “ he didn’t get into my bluff..:mad:” Hahah

Gonmar111

Gonmar111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally embarrassing, then come the loaded ones of the members of the table, and one the only thing that hopes is to be changed of table, it is shameful.

F

Frank7Chipman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting caught bluffing

There is a consequence of getting caught, especially if it is multiple times. It means that you need to shift up your game. As others have said, it changes your table image. I almost never show a bluff unless called because I would rather be considered a tight aggressive player than a player that uses bluffs. However, being caught once in awhile is very good, because it means you are more likely to be called with your strong hands. However, this goes back to shifting gears. After being caught I probably am not going to bluff for again for awhile.

M

mkdjdfb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not for me, if I get caught bluffing that means I might be able to pass off the nuts as a bluff later on.

topcatbrazil

topcatbrazil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very interesting question. Yes, I think I do, specially when I am bluffing very frequently, I think our brains are wired this way. We have this sense of justice that we cannot really turn off. It is the way it is.

brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Acctually I stop bluffing because of thay, and I improve mg game playing only for value. This made me lose a lot of times!!