Do you ever think FR's are not worth the time?

JMTalbert

JMTalbert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FRs are worth your time if you're looking to have fun. If you want to make money, pay to play.

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls have taught me how to be patient and let me practice forms of poker besides hold'em that I was inexperienced in, but money wise, I don't think I've made more than $10 in 3 years of playing poker.

larry4896

larry4896

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls

Some are better than others. Year and a half ago I won $7 on bodog freeroll, played small sit and goes, and an occasional tourney, got it up over $900. Still going, although Bodog tourneys are not as good as before

B

ballboy75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spent 4 hours today in ixgames.com $50 FR and finished in 24th place for .16 cents.... thats 4 cents an hour... hobos make more than that.:mad:

Just my two cents worth... any other opinions?

lol, ur better off playing in a sweat shop in China, i heard they make 7 cents an hour:D .
anyway, i hate those freerolls which pay a ton of people with pennies, a waste of time, try qualifying for big and exclusive freerolls.
i play in the PTOTW freerolls and the WDIAV 1 K monthly freerolls.
in the past 2 days i have built my br are from nothing to 80 $ from just those 2 tourneys. you can check it out in the brag and bad beats section, the id's are there.
if ur going to play private freerolls, register to good ones so you feel ur not wasting ur time for scraps.

mets40

mets40

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play a freeroll especially after I've taken a beat down on the cash tables and I still have the itch to play. The thought that it isn't going to cost me anything helps me get over the losses.

A

AAChipMagnet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FRs are good for a learning tool. They are also good to start a BR. It is sickening to play for 4 hrs and get $3 for 25th out of 2700 players if you don't need the money for a BR. Even worse if you get knocked out before the bubble. Generally, the highest prize and lowest number of entrants is the way to go.

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FR

I hate them until...I am broke with no money on my card! It just keeps me in touch with what's going on in my little poker world!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
absolutely

I agree, not worth the time. When I first joined forums I played all the freerolls, hours spent to make 16 cents. I now play no freerolls that are less than $500, and no freerolls with more than 300 enrolled unless the prize is in the thousands. The best bets are money added tournaments, and even those aren't worth it unless at least $100 is added.

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like freeroll,,,,y,, becuase wen im skint at least its a game for a few qiud for no outlay,,,,so any 1 who thinks freerolls are a waist ov time should think again ,in mi opinnion

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing a free roll while watching TV, before you realise youre even playing you can have quite a hefty stack.

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FREEROLLS ARE THE WIG IN MY WAM. FREEROLLS are basically an advertisement for a site or a group. I think we are going to see a fantastic growth in them in the future as advertisers and big business see what a bang for their buck they get when they sponsor an event. Especially if there is a funky banner parading accross between every other hand. Hypnotizing every player to buy brand x detergent.

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taxman , to me there seems to be a decline in freerolls, don't know if its just me thinking that way , but I used to play one to three freerolls a day, but not anymore, now it seems Im lucky if I can get in one to three a week, but then again alot of the sites no longer exist, so just got to make the best out of the ones I can play in now!!

zjohnzzz

zjohnzzz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually i am playing on four tables at once and one is usually a freeroll, most of time in a room where i am playing, keeps me patient while playing in a money tourney

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I don't generally play freerolls outside of the specials like the FT Ironmans, but Stars is having a Win a Porsche freeroll on Oct 18 @ 13:00, where first prize is a Porsche Cayman or $50,000, with the next 100 places receiving substantial cash payouts. Only catch is you must make a deposit (either first time or a reload), but there is no minimum to qualify (other than the standard minimum deposit amount). Presumably you could even withdraw the deposit once it clears, although I'd wait until after the freeroll just in case.

I still have some money on Stars but rarely play there these days and had no reason to deposit. But my wife needed a few more bucks on her account, so I deposited $30 and transferred it to her, which got me the ticket to play in the freeroll.

Just FYI for any of you who can swing a minimum deposit to get the ticket into a very lucrative freeroll.

M

mstram

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I don't generally play freerolls outside of the specials like the FT Ironmans, but Stars is having a Win a Porsche freeroll on Oct 18 @ 13:00, where first prize is a Porsche Cayman or $50,000, with the next 100 places receiving substantial cash payouts.

Thanks for the heads up !

Hmm, might be time for my first deposit :D

slicky111

slicky111

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My take is Freerolls is a waste of time. i play the freerolls on AP/UB. And, sometimes it takes up to 8 hours for $15. And if u dont make it to the final table u just wasted your time.

Bodog, has $500 freerolls and Full-tilt has the freeroll to the daily dollar. Now, both of those are worth getting into.

To me, the best freeroll, which really isnt a freeroll. Is the 3 steps for $1 offered by the merge gamming network (Carbon poker, pdc poker, walker poker, erc.) Winning that $1 in less than two hours.

P

Peterr211

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would agree that freerolls are definitely not worth the time. However, as a broke, lacking permission from the wife, cheap, old man, They are a place to occasionally win some small change online and play 'for real . . .'

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, the best freeroll, which really isnt a freeroll. Is the 3 steps for $1 offered by the merge gamming network (Carbon poker, pdc poker, walker poker, erc.) Winning that $1 in less than two hours.

this is very true...i play that crap every day, and its the most worthwhile freebie out there....*if* you wanna play at carbon or wherever else on the merge network that has these things. they basically give you 10 shots a day for free at a "fun step 1" sng. i 6 table them, i don't pay attention to whether i won or lost a hand...the competition is so horrible that if you sit out you could probably avg 3 wins (haven't tested this). i just keep registering as long as i have 6 running until i've used up all 10. (though i only won 4 today, but then won 3 of the step 2's). i usually win 6 or 7 of the step 1's. where you just have to get in the top three. step two is not quite as bad as step 1, i mean, you have to play. this can be played like any other sng, you will get donked out though, there will still be, in some, just like the step 1's where 5 ppl are going all in on the first hand...great...just like step 1's, its worth the shot with AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT,AK,AQ,AJs to call those shoves on the first hand even with 4 other ppl, whatever. but step 2 is a little harder to win, the top 2 get step 3 tickets, 3rd place gets another step 2 ticket. i like to wait until i get 5 step 3 tickets (which is the super bowl for a dollar)...which takes around every other day or usually every day after "every other day". variance is a big factor in these things. then i like to multitable all my step 3's together...which is key...bah, i need to make a new paragraph!

yeah, like i was saying, to really make this work for you...guys, you really need to multitable the step 1's and the step 2's at least....or you'll just be spending too much time at it, and it will get old. playing all 10 step 1's they give you every day should take less than an hour...this is important....same with the step 2's. that's 2 hours, because you'll have less of them and they'll take a little longer. i try to get all my step 1's and 2's done for for the day. the step 3 coupons don't expire for like a week, so its no rush at all for when you want to tackle them. it's all about using what you're given to your advantage, for free, in a timely manner. to win a step 3 takes an hour, give or take 10 mins. but you really have to treat this like an assembly line....all the 1's together, all the 2's together, then the 3's. its good practice too...knowing you played right even though you got sucked out by crap, and knocked out, its no big deal with 5 other games going....you don't have time to read ppl's chat, you don't have time to chat. so i embrace these things...practice on concentration and having to think fast.

Agile Beauce

Agile Beauce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I built up a bankroll of about $250 across many different poker sites just from playing freerolls. The private smaller freerolls are by far better than the public freerolls. They usually have a higher quality of play. Also, the turbos are terrible, like the turbo to the Daily Dollar each day. You only get 300 chips to start. It is an all-in fest.

D

Dam Yankee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to find better freerolls, @ sites that have a bigger payout. Poker Star's, for a ticket = for ha ha's, and maybe u get lucky. UltimateBet, not worth it. That said, I did come in 1st on 1 of theirs a few yrs ago, won $10, and played that for a long time.
But won $45 on PlayersOnly for 3rd or 4th place a few wks back. So overall - they can be worth it.
They are usually an all in fest in the beginning, so in the 1st few rounds of blinds you have to play smart & get lucky; but you know - it's hard to find free fun these days!
I love them. They have improved my play, and given me a chance to play in $ games. And they are entertaining as mentioned above!

GordonStr222

GordonStr222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hell no.... Unless you're trying to build something out of nothing for bragging rights or the challenge other than that I don't think they are worth the time...

R

rakbarak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that's Freerolls is a waste of time. I play poker for 5 years and I still play in private freeroll.

B

ballboy75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that's Freerolls is a waste of time. I play poker for 5 years and I still play in private freeroll.
yup, private freerolls are the way to go, although i think they are mainly speaking of the public ones here, you know, the ones where half the players bust on the first hand:D

M

mstram

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I play on Carbon, which tourney are you talking about?

Is it a "scheduled" tourney or a SitNgo ?

$1 entry ? .... or you win $1 for free entry ?

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I keep seeing this thread and I keep reading "Do you ever think FP is not worth the time?"

And, frankly, I resent that notion.