Do u trash talk 2 donkeys after they make a horrible call 2 suckout? GUTSHOT ALL IN!

T

theugoogilizer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do notor bad call then say something to that person if still have chips i will say to try and spark a conversation to see how many peopple at the table think it was a good call then i can see if are majority good or really bad

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
devil's advocate

Let me just argue for a moment against the two most common reason's given for not berating bad play at the table:

1. "It will clue the fish in, and they will start to play better."
No, no it wont. Getting better at poker isn't something that is going to occur because of any comments you make about a particular hand. Getting better at poker takes time and dedication, and isn't going to be accomplished by listening to the "expert" lecture at the table (as noted, they usually are not as expert as they think).

2. "The fish will leave."
Online, so what?-- there are thousands of horrible players, and another one will just take that one's place shortly.

.....there, just wanted to stir the pot a little :D!

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do notor bad call then say something to that person if still have chips i will say to try and spark a conversation to see how many peopple at the table think it was a good call then i can see if are majority good or really bad
I don't mean to sound rude, but please use some punctuation in your posts. After reading that ^^, I said, "Say what?" Periods at the end of sentences help the reader to follow your thought process better.

AG, you do bring up a good counter-point. But on the other hand, who really likes a "table coach"? :p

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still maintain that berating other players makes you look like a sore loser :)

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me just argue for a moment against the two most common reason's given for not berating bad play at the table:

1. "It will clue the fish in, and they will start to play better."
No, no it wont. Getting better at poker isn't something that is going to occur because of any comments you make about a particular hand. Getting better at poker takes time and dedication, and isn't going to be accomplished by listening to the "expert" lecture at the table (as noted, they usually are not as expert as they think).

True, but they might tighten up a bit.

2. "The fish will leave."
Online, so what?-- there are thousands of horrible players, and another one will just take that one's place shortly.

Also true, .... BUT IT WON'T BE THE MOTHER F*CKER WHO DONKED OFF YOUR STACK!!! STALK THAT MOFO AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK. :mad:

Oops, er, sorry, lost my head there for a second.:eek:
If I'm really steamed I'll usually just say "Good insticts".

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was reading Super System 2 the other day and in the Mike Caro U. section he dictates to never dicuss strategy around weak opponents, as many of them may not have realized there was anything worth dicussing. Basically they might not know calling all in with a gut shot is a bad play and if thats the way they are thinking you are bound to get your money back sooner or later. I even go as far as to turn my chat off if things start to get out of hand.

scruffy mojo

scruffy mojo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't direct my comment at them personally, i'll type bs, lucky nh or i guess you knew it was coming lol. people type such nasty things that are totally uncalled for, its a part of poker, move on..i've seen some of the worst allin calls and hit runner, runner, suckouts i still can't believe..i guess i don't like it done to me, so i don't do it to others...

K

KingOfFelt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess the best advice in this situation is to never say anything that would benefit your opponent. (duh, right?)

Basically only say something in the chat if you think it will work to your advantage (put someone on tilt etc.) Usually after you got bad beat though the other guy is in a good mood and not too tiltable.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL....yeah table coaches rule! NOT!

I love it when some one starts handing out advise at a table, but never argue or discuss any hands in the chat window, only a g1, nh etc. The best was AQ against AK with an AKQ flop...and I caught the Q on the river. My comment was "sheesh what a suckout!" and villain reply was "Suckout? no ways ...good call!!"....almost fell of my chair laughing!

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont berate or trash talk the fish, I MAKE THEM CRY
but seriously i would give them quite a hard time for like 2 minutes, then i say "just kidding" and that way i get to release my angre and they dont mind as think that i was not serious, this way i dont get a life time chat ban :)

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
joke right ? I know its not but can't you see how sad that is ? a quarter of a minute every hand OMG !! can you imagine that in a live poker game .

4 you just need to play 4 tables , read a book , watch tv , surf the net and relax while playing . chill my friend :p

I actually play 6 tables, and yes, even with that many tables I still complain about people taking so long. :eek:
Its just so annoying, i would never type "zzzzzzzz" in the chat if the player was in the middle of a hand, or they have a hard decision to make or if they are facing a preflop raise.
But, there are so many players that actually take 15-20 seconds every hand when it gets folded to them preflop. The people that usually do it are people who are multitabling. My advice to them is, DONT MULTITABLE IF YOU CANT KEEP UP!
However, i do have a BIG problem with patience and i just dont think i could cope with playing live poker. Sad, but true. Still i dont think live players would take 10 seconds to fold 82o utg.

Yes I can, usually they are immature/kids, and they often do it when the person involved is quite clearly having connection problems. Also people are entitled to take their time to make a decision if they want to, if those impatient pillocks don't like it maybe they should go and play the latest FPS instead. The site will automatically fold their cards for them if they take too long, so you don't need some moron typing zzzzzzzz

I play on stars, and i always check players connection status before complaining about them amount of time they take.
I dont think the players that want to play more hands per hour are "pillocks". I think the players that take a long time to fold 72 and the players who multitable but timeout on ever street are the pillocks. Like i said in the above post though, i do have a huge problem with patience so maybe its just me. :)

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donkeys get the poke from me.

Can't help it.

-

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play on stars, and i always check players connection status before complaining about them amount of time they take. I dont think the players that want to play more hands per hour are "pillocks". I think the players that take a long time to fold 72 and the players who multitable but timeout on ever street are the pillocks. Like i said in the above post though, i do have a huge problem with patience so maybe its just me. :)
It's definitely not just you. It is frustrating, and personally I have usually keyed in my decision long before it is my turn (except when I'm UTG). Wanting to play more hands per hour certainly doesn't make someone a pillock, but typing in zzzzzz suggests to me that they are a pillock

I was listening to Rounders Radio last week (for a freeroll password) and one of the guys on there is paid to help people improve their online poker. He was saying that one of the first things he tells people he's tutoring is never to key in what you are going to bet until it has reached you, and you can make a decision based on how many other people have bet etc. He said that people can use you placing a bet quickly as a tell on how confident you are about a hand, always take the same amount of time to place your bets so people can't get a tell from it, and that taking a bit longer may well put some of your impatient opponents on tilt, which is clearly potentially to your own advantage

I must admit that I find people who criticise other players via chat far more irritating than the fish/donkeys themselves... and that's why sometimes I turn chat off :)

R

RMcLeod

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I had the opposite happen to me yesterday, the donkey trash talked me when he caught a set on the river to beat my AA, QQ 2 pair, which I flopped with AQ in my hand. This was in a free-roll satellite on Ultimate.

He said 'How did that feel, tell me?'. I responded 'fine, you occasionally lose from an over position, it happens.'

He responded with 'You're a rubbish player'.

When he later went out (unfortunately not to me), I would have typed 'How did that feel, tell me?' if I thought he stuck around.

As it goes I went on to come 16th and win a seat in a $1000 tournament and a small amount of cash, so felt completely vindicated.

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had the opposite happen to me yesterday, the donkey trash talked me when he caught a set on the river to beat my AA, QQ 2 pair, which I flopped with AQ in my hand. This was in a free-roll satellite on Ultimate.

He said 'How did that feel, tell me?'. I responded 'fine, you occasionally lose from an over position, it happens.'

He responded with 'You're a rubbish player'.

When he later went out (unfortunately not to me), I would have typed 'How did that feel, tell me?' if I thought he stuck around.

As it goes I went on to come 16th and win a seat in a $1000 tournament and a small amount of cash, so felt completely vindicated.

Now to those players (donks who call you a donk, when they get lucky), i would just type "get aids" in the chat.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now to those players (donks who call you a donk, when they get lucky), i would just type "get aids" in the chat.

Errrr ok...... Classy (and a swift way to get a chat ban).

Had a 90/40/20 on nl$100 two nights ago, he was sucking out of ppl in very large pots, and whilst the rest of the table was berating him, I was tapping away with "nh", "wp" etc etc. I managed to take $150 from him in the space of 20 mins.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had a 90/40/20 on nl$100 two nights ago, he was sucking out of ppl in very large pots, and whilst the rest of the table was berating him, I was tapping away with "nh", "wp" etc etc. I managed to take $150 from him in the space of 20 mins.
Now that's class! A far more civilised way of going about things... :cool:

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, here's the REAL reasons (vs. the ones in my previous post) that you shouldn't berate fish:

1. You have an understanding of this:
Variance formula, and chastising donks either shows that you don't truly understand the nature of poker (at worst), or, at best, undermines your acceptance of variance in the game. Engaging in these types of actions will change mindset and make you more prone to tilt.

2. You don't want to be an asshole. Simple really.

Note that there are good natured exceptions, like when playing with friends. Also, with members of the forum I don't mind discussing a hand honestly, either in HH forum or during a game.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AG it is (n-2) as the denominator not (n-1)
just saying....

but the reason u dont want to berate a player is :: chat ban, i went a month with out chat on ftp and it was liike hell, ppl calling me a jerk because i didnt respond to their question or say "ty" to their "nh"

AA88Joe

AA88Joe

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be mad with them just take thier chips

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cannot, for any reason "Tap the tank", the donk may be a good player just playing ATC because he is tired, bored or a little ahead in profit.
I was there at one time, I had been playing like a donkey, chasing my flush draws when the odds were definitely against me and hitting, this one player had made a comment like "dumba$$".
I had made a comment like "I thought I would play like a donk, seeing that donk plays seem to be paying off, but if you want me to bring my "A" game then your on"
And you know what?, he was right to let me know I was being a dumbass, it broke the spell and I played a great game after that and ended being the table captain.
After I starting taking larger pots with great hands, I think the player that made the "dumbass" comment wish he hadn't tapped the tank.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After I starting taking larger pots with great hands, I think the player that made the "dumbass" comment wish he hadn't tapped the tank.
Quite often the "expert" that's telling other people how to play has been eliminated by that point, anyway
but the reason u dont want to berate a player is :: chat ban, i went a month with out chat on Full Tilt Poker and it was liike hell, ppl calling me a jerk because i didnt respond to their question or say "ty" to their "nh"
At bodog one of the options that replaces chat is a list of current stats for the tourney, it's quite common for people not to respond to chat, so they're not automatically assumed to be ignorant if that happens

benevg

benevg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually play 6 tables, and yes, even with that many tables I still complain about people taking so long. :eek: ...

funny. i would often do just what you are describing as a part of a strategy close to the bubble or another break in MTTs. complain of me all you want. :p

just last night that helped me get in the money in a tourney. because the critical hand where someone called my initial raise (AK) with his A2 and hit 2 pair occurred just at the time the 64 players turned into 63. if i had not played slowly the previous 4-5 hands, i figure i'd have been the bubble boy ;)