Difference between amateur and professional players?

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe three main qualities differ pro player from amateur one.
1. Knowledge; they have a better insights of ranges due to long playing and cards performaces depending on positions.
2. Disiplice; they play a steady game no matter player, looses or bad beats.
3. Money; they have money that they can loose without worring for it;

You are welcome to name other qualities that you believe makes the difference :)

I

ICU1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe three main qualities differ pro player from amateur one.
1. Knowledge; they have a better insights of ranges due to long playing and cards performaces depending on positions.
2. Disiplice; they play a steady game no matter player, looses or bad beats.
3. Money; they have money that they can loose without worring for it;

You are welcome to name other qualities that you believe makes the difference :)
Other than experience there's no real difference. Holdem isn't a difficult game to learn. Playing styles come and go so if you don't adjust your left behind. Professional take it more serious because stakes are higher. All professionals started as amateurs.

Nokaut men 1997

Nokaut men 1997

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
There is no difference between a good amateur player and a good professional. Both will beat you if you are not a careful and responsible player.
Professionals don't always win tournaments.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
A professional makes a living playing poker and an amateur doesn't. And of course everyone can win or lose, but since a pro plays for their income, they have already factored in any losses and because they protect their bankroll, they can afford to lose sometimes. An amateur usually only plays for fun and is therefore not as strict with his bankroll as a professional is.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A professional knows how to endure and knows that you need to press the fold button often so as not to fly out of the tournament.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all
I would say on the contrary, not a professional player is worried about losing, but an amateur, since an amateur (like me) plays at small limits and losing $ 5-10 is not a big loss, I recently watched the final of the tournament with a buy-in of 1,000,000 €, paying such an entry you will not play after a sleeve

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pros have a better mathematician's brain; they use math more than an amateur to figure out odds during hands. Pros are able to fold strong hands when they think they may be beaten. Amateurs over play strong hands in positions where they could be beaten.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We put our clothes on the same way. No difference except pros are ones who got a big win and was able to maintain their bank and build on it. The shoes could be filled by anyone on this site if they are willing to take it to the real tables and do the same.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
....Pros are able to fold strong hands when they think they may be beaten. Amateurs over play strong hands in positions where they could be beaten.
I agree with this a lot , have seen some very disciplined folds made and I feel I couldn't have made such a fold .... things to learn and consider !

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
One name already says that there is a difference. He plays as an amateur for pleasure, but as a professional he plays for money. He understands the game better, a professional has more information about the players, professionals are more disciplined and mentally prepared for moving. The boss's pro will even throw a full house if the situation calls for it.

I

ICU1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pros usually do not post here :))))))))
I'm pretty sure CC has four poker pros that do give input. I'm also sure some people find it interesting being involved with the forum. Pros who are down to earth and remember they to started someplace. Egomaniac s wouldn't benefit and new comers anyway.

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The professional player plays calmly and calmly and chooses the hands and position to win the tournament. The non-professional player plays randomly and sometimes he climbs into the tournament and then collapses without any victory

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Pros have a better mathematician's brain; they use math more than an amateur to figure out odds during hands. Pros are able to fold strong hands when they think they may be beaten. Amateurs over play strong hands in positions where they could be beaten.

I completely agree with you. Their math skills and mental state are better than amateurs.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Professionals are players who, thanks to skills, experience, patience and discipline, receive a stable income from the game. Professionals are players who constantly analyze and improve their game. Professionals are players who are confident in their abilities and clearly understand their potential.

I

ICU1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Real advantage I think is the ability to shake off tilt. M most of the time it's a cooler that determines the final outcome. Online coolers are often.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with this a lot , have seen some very disciplined folds made and I feel I couldn't have made such a fold .... things to learn and consider !

I think disipline is the most notably of all pro skills and a good indication against whom are you playing!

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The study and discipline since they live from it is their job... :D

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being able to pay the bills and not being able to do so

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one difference between amateur players and professional players is the amount of time they spend studying the game. Professionals are studying most of the time, and only playing really key tournaments. Amateurs play a lot more and study a lot less.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think disipline is the most notably of all pro skills and a good indication against whom are you playing!
I agree with most/parts of all the comments so far but this one really hit home. In my limited experience the guys who just sit there and methodically do their thing, hand after hand, without emotion are the ones to beat. Maybe they're pros, maybe they're regulars, maybe they're just strong amateurs, but if you're paying attention you know exactly who they are.