Difference between amateur and professional players?

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe three main qualities differ pro player from amateur one.
1. Knowledge; they have a better insights of ranges due to long playing and cards performaces depending on positions.
2. Disiplice; they play a steady game no matter player, looses or bad beats.
3. Money; they have money that they can loose without worring for it;

You are welcome to name other qualities that you believe makes the difference :)
first of all, a professional earns money only through poker, for him it is a job, but for an amateur it is mostly just entertainment

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
- They know how to handle patience, defeat, bad fortune much better
- They know how to identify their rivals and make a better reading of the game
- They know how to wait for the right moments in the tournament to attack the rookies

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a professional poker player is someone who has a lot of money to play, apart from the money he needs to pay for living expenses.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think a professional poker player is someone who has a lot of money to play, apart from the money he needs to pay for living expenses.
A person who chooses to play poker with a $1 million dollar bankroll is a professional? And another who grinds out ~$1.5k/mth off of a $2k bankroll is not?

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I agree only with point 3, with a lot of money you can learn to play poker, even if you don’t want to learn.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I believe three main qualities differ pro player from amateur one.
1. Knowledge; they have a better insights of ranges due to long playing and cards performaces depending on positions.
2. Disiplice; they play a steady game no matter player, looses or bad beats.
3. Money; they have money that they can loose without worring for it;

You are welcome to name other qualities that you believe makes the difference :)
I think point 3 is the most important, if I had money available to lose I would play all my hands with a better perception of the ranges and I would have a consistent game no matter who I face at the table. Simple

ikescherer

ikescherer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Discipline above all, it’s a job, sometimes is not fun to grind and stick to a gameplan.
Amateurs tend to play for the fun they feel.

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMHO the difference is simply based on the ability to earn money, if you can't earn real money to live on and pay for good tournaments, you can't call yourself a pro.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a huge difference is that in some we bet and the pros only check. They also realize many times when we are bluffing.

xaj9x

xaj9x

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greetings 😉 The most important difference between an amateur and a professional, a professional player is not looking for the difference, he is looking for amateurs at the table😉😀😉