Difference between amateur and professional players?

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with most/parts of all the comments so far but this one really hit home. In my limited experience the guys who just sit there and methodically do their thing, hand after hand, without emotion are the ones to beat. Maybe they're pros, maybe they're regulars, maybe they're just strong amateurs, but if you're paying attention you know exactly who they are.

Exactly! Here is another esencial skill to master during the game: Ability to not just stay calm and play but stay calm, play and observe carefully!

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The difference can be seen in the bank account!

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Amateurs are mostly either trying to win by making strong combinations, or playing and bluffing at random. The difference between professionals and amateurs is that they understand opponents ranges and know when to bluff and when to call without strong combinations.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The difference between a professional player and an amateur, the professional has more discipline, has more sponsors, They usually have more money to spend they can also travel all over the world some don't even have a wife and children In many countries you cannot live from professional poker :eek:

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I believe three main qualities differ pro player from amateur one.
1. Knowledge; they have a better insights of ranges due to long playing and cards performaces depending on positions.
2. Disiplice; they play a steady game no matter player, looses or bad beats.
3. Money; they have money that they can loose without worring for it;

You are welcome to name other qualities that you believe makes the difference :)

I think that a professional player can sit at the final table, or at least he can reach the winning seats with a percentage that may exceed 75%
As for the amateur player, if he is lucky, he can win in a few cases, but not always, and also he cannot reach the winning seats, even by 40% of the majority.

Moroccanbluff26

Moroccanbluff26

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well easy to know during a tournament you can see there starting hand and the way they play I mean lose game

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amateurs play for fun. Pros understand that it's more fun to win. Also... A few other hundred reasons.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The difference is that professional know how to play correctly in all areas of poker and amateurs do not.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm an American so I'll give you my informed American opinion on it...

...there is only ONE difference between a "professional" and an "amateur": it is a TAX classification.

First of all, the US Tax Code states that the one requirement to classify yourself as a "Professional Gambler" is that you have no other primary income. This means that if you work a full-time day job, you CANNOT file your taxes as a professional. Even if you are the greatest poker player in the world, you will only qualify as an amateur.

The main difference in this classification is that professionals get special tax treatment. It gets technical to explain, but professionals can deduct their losses against their winnings. Amateurs cannot do this, which means amateurs get screwed by the US Tax Code.

Let's use two examples, two identical players except one is able to call themselves a "Professional" but the other works at a factory and can only file as an "Amateur".

Each player has a break-even year. They both have significant tournament wins during the year, but those winnings are offset by their losses. They both enter $100K in tournament buy-ins during the calendar year, and they both win exactly $100K in payouts. Thus, they each "net" zero income - $100K in winnings with $100K in losses.

The Professional can sum these up on their tax return, and end up paying zero in tax to the government. The Pro has no income which means no tax is assessed.

However, the Amateur is not able to do this. The Amateur must claim the $100K they won as "income" and pay the full tax on that income (generally from 25% to 33%, so they owe the government anywhere from $25K to $33K). Amateurs cannot deduct losses from these totals, except for the very small "standard deduction" which is almost insignificant. Amateurs must add their poker winnings to their income from their day job and pay tax on that entire amount.

Disclaimer: I am not providing tax advice, some of my information here may be incorrect so do your own research. However, pre-Black-Friday (April 15, 2011), I held a full-time day job and thus I had to file as an amateur poker player so I learned the hard way just how terrible the tax code is on us. I actually quit my "real job" to play poker full-time as a "Professional" so I could obtain the tax advantage for that status... and believe it or not, my last day on the job was April 2011... after the government took away our freedom to play online poker that fateful day, I never made any income from poker, so I never actually became a professional.

These days, I call myself a "play chip pro" which is a comical joke about this whole subject. I've been angry for the past decade about how they stole my dreams, but I did have the option to leave America and move somewhere I could play poker and follow my dreams... I chose not to do so, and still live here despite it all. I grind the play chips on poker stars and rose to the highest ranks there. At least I became a baller somewhere, even if its more of a joke than anything. I like to poke fun at the whole thing, its maddening of course but I'm not gonna give myself an ulcer and ruin my health over it. It is what it is, this is our world, its not fair but oh well... and so it goes. LOL

Hope this explanation helps.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
can add professionals, observer, patient, more courageous and aggressive, my opinion, I could be wrong. amateurs, rash, too eager, demonstrate the weakness

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
the difference between the amateur and the professional player is the workplace :)), the amateur goes to work every working day and wakes up in the morning :), and the professional wakes up at noon :), after which he plays some poker and makes money:)

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the basic difference is that the so-called professional players have more studies about the game, mainly the math part, and they are much smaller than the amateurs who appear sporadically in the field, usually on weekends. As for money, I think there are professionals and amateurs with a lot of money or little, what happens to them after a table is another story lol:)

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A professional is one who has poker as a job, earning a living by poker. To succeed in this he must have psycho-mental abilities and constant learning and practice, much more than amateurs. But that's the way it is in every business, not just poker ...

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Professional players have clearly worked out actions for any situation

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's like they said above, volume of play, discipline and patience

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a business to them and they do everything to get into the green and stay there.

They are constantly upgrading their skills through educational materials, looking for advice from professional players and outside professionals that can help them run their business such as accountants (jab at the post with the accounting stuff, lol) and dedicated to one thing and that's turning a profit.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Knowledge; they have a better insights of ranges due to long playing and cards performaces depending on positions.

You are welcome to name other qualities that you believe makes the difference :)
Hi Bhzrd588, you seem to almost have a mythical view of poker professionals. Publications regarding ranges are everywhere. They can be easily learned. Many a pro who gets stuck, and everybody gets stuck from time to time, are often not on their best game while trying to win their money back. This gives the other pros at the table an advantage. This has nothing to do with bad beats. A good many of the pros are playing on the cusp, some good self-promoters resorting to playing with OPM, while others are negative millionaires who resort to borrowing money to play. This is the lifestyle I was a part of back in the eighties, and it hasn't changed much.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

They also have more luck than the amature players. After all no one can really win a tournament without having a couple of lucky hits. But it seems the pros get a little more than a couple.

G

GoodMoon90

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A systematic approach before the game, this means understanding the correctness or erroneousness of one's actions at any moment of the game

M

miriancastro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think the main difference is the study

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The pros can re-evaluate value during a hand and that separates them from the amateurs.
They are able to make the big calls and folds.
The amateurs like us, see our cards get excited, and become married to them.
6c97be43eb8abc8dd84480745e9a5502.png

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips

The professional has been doing something so long that there’s no situation they haven’t seen so making the right decision at every situation.the Amateur just haven’t seen everything yet.that’s my analysis 🧐.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think there are many differences. Professionals have more knowledge because they study constantly and improve their own game. I disagree with the money part. I know plenty of pros who have to scrape together their bankroll to get into a game. I think one quality that you overlooked is that they are very observant. They watch the other players and the action and notice every little detail and every situation and they file that information away in the recesses of their mind to use when appropriate.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the difference is very clear, the professionals are those who study, are consistent in their game, and take their work seriously, most recreational players do not study and play poker for fun and have a good time, we must identify them to take advantage of that.