john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What are your thoughts about children and tennagers who want to play poker? We should let them play or not?
I think it's bad when kids play card games for money. Yes, if a teenager is already earning money himself (for example, working somewhere in the Internet), then I don't see a problem. I even have no problem if kids or teenagers play poker without investing real money. That's normal too. :cool:

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Poker is a game , just like chess. I see no issues with kids playing it as long as money is not involved.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Let them play and know the game but dont let them play for money online. gambling can be a slippery slope, its addictive and needs a responsible frame of mind.
My son (14) knows how to play for fun, he is aware of real gambling but know not to get involved in that side of it, for now that is. He has played for cash with me, my dad and brother, not often though but that means i have to put in twice and he keeps what he comes out with.
He spends more money on gaming than i spend on poker. The joys of being young. Im envious, my youth was wasted on drink and drugs. Im glad I've steered him away from that direction.

D

Dougana

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
My kids know ad play poker. We play for the fun of the game and not for money, Its a good game to teach them. My kids learned a lot of basic math skill learning this game .
Awesome! It's a nice game and they can learn a lot from it

Out of eight grandsons and granddaughters, 2 granddaughters wanted to learn and 1 grandson, I taught normally, none of them continued to play, I learned to play poker when I was 13 or 15 years old, I don't see any harm
Exactly, I don't see any problem either.

Poker is a game , just like chess. I see no issues with kids playing it as long as money is not involved.
I think the same my friend.

Let them play and know the game but dont let them play for money online. Gambling can be a slippery slope, its addictive and needs a responsible frame of mind.
My son (14) knows how to play for fun, he is aware of real gambling but know not to get involved in that side of it, for now that is. He has played for cash with me, my dad and brother, not often though but that means i have to put in twice and he keeps what he comes out with.
He spends more money on gaming than i spend on poker. The joys of being young. Im envious, my youth was wasted on drink and drugs. Im glad I've steered him away from that direction.
Exactly, i also believe that they're can play with no money involve, unless they're gambling with family to learn a little bit more about the game.

Boys are still more inclined to play poker than girls. However, in no case should you think that now I’ll come to poker and earn money. This can only be done if you work at it very, very diligently, spending a lot of time and effort. And there are no guarantees that it will pay off.
It seems to me that it is very important precisely at the moments when the child shows his interest, then it is necessary to develop interest, precisely at these moments.
Exactly, they need to know that is a game of odds, like any other.

I think it is important to teach teenagers and children the Value of money and how it needs to be respected, How to avoid becoming addicted to any form of Gambling, whether it is Poker, Blackjack, or anything else that may come their way.
Being responsible for their own Money no matter how much pocket money they get, and the perils of losing it, There is no point beating them in a game of Blackjack, and then giving them the money back that they lose, By all means return it, but make them work for it, even if it means Making their beds or washing a few Pots and Pans etc.
Teaching them that if they lose money gambling, it is not that easy to get back, is a more positive approach than taking all their Sweetie Money and giving it back without a cost, is giving out the wrong message. Gambling can be Fun, but teach them the risk's and negatives along with the Fun part.
I taught my Daughter how to play Blackjack before she went to Kindergarten, not so she could gamble but it taught her how to count from a very early age, and when she got older and started going out to Parties with her friends, if she got into a friendly game of cards, she knew what to expect and knew enough about the game to beat her opponents.
She is now in her Forties and still can feel comfortable gambling for fun!
I feel the same, if they want to gamble, it need to be their own money, that would lead to learn about the worth of money, and no to gamble with no responsibility.

D

Dougana

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
They could play no money games. I played for game chips as a child for no money with friends and cousins. I think it does help to develop game strategy in the younger min

They could play no money games. I played for game chips as a child for no money with friends and cousins. I think it does help to develop game strategy in the younger mind.
Exactly, play with no money involved.

Wow rha
As long as they are playing for fun and if they show interest, I think there's a lot of value to it;

-Gambling Control - Teaching poker young and how to look at bets will help them to not have a gambling problem in the future. It will also keep them away from sucker bets like slots, or at least they will understand that they are just donating money for a little fun.

-Risk Assessment - Everywhere in life you need to assess risk vs reward of your choices. Knowing how to estimate equity of a situation can really come in handy even when it doesn't involve money.

-Emotional Control - Experience getting wrecked by bad luck at the table can really teach you how to keep your cool and look at the bigger picture.
Wow that would be awesome, but not even us can control all or that. Would be super nice if a kid manage to do it.

this is a game for mature people, they shouldn't play. In the best of the cases, they should only do it with play money, not even freerolls.
They can play for fun, if they like it, no money involved.

Is there any kind of poker certofication?
It's the first time I hear that you can be poker certified.
I don't hear any of that either.

I think it's bad when kids play card games for money. Yes, if a teenager is already earning money himself (for example, working somewhere in the Internet), then I don't see a problem. I even have no problem if kids or teenagers play poker without investing real money. That's normal too. :cool:
Exactly, they can do it for fun, if they're want to gamble, it need to be their own money.

Alket21

Alket21

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
AL
Chips
nah bro don't let a child play poker at a young age because it hurts him mentally

9peso

9peso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your child just wants to play poker for fun, not for earning money, I think it isn't any problem to give your kid opportunity to have fun playing another card game.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What are your thoughts about children and tennagers who want to play poker? We should let them play or not?
I would not want my children to play card games. After coming of age I wouldn't mind, but up to 16-18 I would be against it. Although I must honestly say that I myself have been playing cards since I was four years old, I was playing cards before I learned to read.

D

Dougana

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
nah bro don't let a child play poker at a young age because it hurts him mentally
I respect your opinion but, you don't think it can make them mentally stronger?

I agree
If your child just wants to play poker for fun, not for earning money, I think it isn't any problem to give your kid opportunity to have fun playing another card game.

I agree 👍

I would not want my children to play card games. After coming of age I wouldn't mind, but up to 16-18 I would be against it. Although I must honestly say that I myself have been playing cards since I was four years old, I was playing cards before I learned to read.
Wow, I respect your opinion, especially because you have experience, I also have play card since 9-10 years, but I'm not against let them play for fun.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see problems in teaching teenagers to play poker, but I don't agree to let them playing with real money.

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Poker can teach children basic notions of math and risk/reward. Learning the rules and playing with family is harmless. If I had kids, I would give a prize/gift if one of them beat me at poker

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am surprised by how many members won't let children/teenagers play with valuable items.

IMO it is ok to let children play poker with nothing - because to me that is just playing cards.

But because poker is really about risking something....I would want children to play with candy/chocolates....and teenagers can start using nickles, dimes and quarters.

It really changes the game. Cards vs Poker.

Although I really like Mr Miyagi's idea to give a prize if they beat him.

Maybe start with limit games to keep it simple?

Last edited:
W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
let them play with monopoly money. good for critical thinking

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
We? There are laws and room rules that cannot be violated. Players' age is 18+

C

Cerniera

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
Îs not game for children under 16 age mayby just wach

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't play poker as a child. Children's psyche is weak....

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Started playing for money at around 14 or so. I & almost all of the degenerate gamblers I hung around with had part time & summer jobs by then so we had our own walkin around money. Even though we played for very small stakes it mattered because we had invested time & effort in acquiring it. Should you be talking about parents helping their child who is under 18 evade site rules to access online games to hone their poker skills, just another example of bad parenting.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Children or teenagers wouldn't be allowed to play for real money , not until the age of 22 minimum I think . And they should be protected by low from gambling commercial and products and streams in TV or internet .

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

Not really
They should not be allowed to play poker
There is a big chance to turn to be an addict or lose real money they do not have
Rgds

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I let my son have a go on a play money game once on poker stars he was about 7 he was knocking folk out for fun reraising hitting everything but had no clue what he was doing lol. I know my hub would have liked to have taught him how to play properly, as he would be really capable he has ADhD and confidence and great ability he just loses interest.

It’s a game at the end of the day the same as any card game. You don’t have to have money involved. If they want to play for fun and enjoy it why not. I’d never encourage them to gamble at any age.

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know man, even if theyre not playing with money they are not dumb they know this is a gambling game. They might get hooked on it God forbid. I dont know definently not before 18 or 19.

cracker

cracker

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's OK for kids to play for money as long as it's only with there parents for there allowance. When they can win on a regular basis they should be allowed to play with there buddies for there lunch money. Then by the time they turn 18 they will be ready to play with the big boys instead of being tossed in with no experience.

kabokinha

kabokinha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
As a recreational game, I find it interesting, but as a competitive game that involves money, the ideal is to have the concept of financial education well rooted first.