Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The theory you mention is interesting and raises an important aspect of poker: chip stack management, also known as "bankroll management" in poker. Having a bigger stack than your opponents can provide strategic advantages in certain situations, but it doesn't automatically guarantee victory.

It is true that having a bigger stack gives you leeway and allows you to make more flexible decisions, such as increasing your bets or making more aggressive moves. However, the strength of your cards is still critical in poker. Although it is possible for a short-stacked player to have much stronger cards in an all-in matchup, there are still elements of chance involved, as community cards (the flop, turn, and river) can change the outcome. hand in hand
So that way they play many more hands, looser and expand the range, managing to connect without greater risk of losing chips and that is why it gives the feeling that it is a trap haha

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, I agree with you a large stack matters and a very large one, and if you have a lot of chips you will win more often than others who have few chips, this theory exists and you will win even a large number of all-ins and they will be in your favor, so theory says in practice, too, but this is not always the case so you can't guarantee to win all the hands you just have more chances

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I dont believe that only having a big stack make you play diferent more agressive but that doesnt make you win every hand

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
People tend to remember events or information that had strong emotional significance, which is called 'selective memory'. Positive or negative emotions, such as joy, fear, anger, or sadness, can make certain memories more vivid and enduring. For example, you remember described situation cause most like you were part of it and lost. Bigger stack just lets a player play more spots without risking too much of his chips, that's it. If you run those spots where he has a weaker hand for thousand times his hand will eventually loose more often.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Here's a theory. Usually, those players who have a bigger stack than others win more often. It doesn't matter what cards they have.... the main thing is that their stack is just bigger than yours. So I'm wondering: how often have you noticed how a player with the biggest stack beats 4-5 players with a small stack, but who have much stronger cards (assuming all players go all-in pre-flop)? :unsure:
As already said, it is nothing more than a myth.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Having a big stack enables you to bully players, in tournaments at least. It can be especially effective close to the bubble.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What happens is that those with bigger stacks have greater chances of losing one or another hand but winning the majority in the end, you increase your chances of winning throughout the tournament, as you will have more chances of paying to see the cards.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
of course :) ...when you have a bigger stack your hands are always very hard to confrunt by the smaller stacks :)

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It’s just a coincidence, but I myself constantly notice this at the tables. When you want to play as correctly as possible, you don’t get involved in stupid hands and just wait for a hand - and here it is: AA, you waited for it in 10 bb and your opponent with 41bb without hesitation presses a call on your all-in. What hand does he have to snap call? WHAT?! J3o?! And what do you think the flop is? JJ3. So yes - a large stack simply allows you to play “dirtier” and more freely, and such hands cannot be ignored and become memorable :D:D

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s just a coincidence, but I myself constantly notice this at the tables. When you want to play as correctly as possible, you don’t get involved in stupid hands and just wait for a hand - and here it is: AA, you waited for it in 10 bb and your opponent with 41bb without hesitation presses a call on your all-in. What hand does he have to snap call? WHAT?! J3o?! And what do you think the flop is? JJ3. So yes - a large stack simply allows you to play “dirtier” and more freely, and such hands cannot be ignored and become memorable :D:D
your not seeing the big picture in that your opponent called with j3o when way behind.

j3o is still winning ~15% of the time and jj3xx is one of the winning combinations. the fact they hit a the flop is irrelevant because the goal in poker isnt to not lose with big hands, it's to make +ev decisions.

there is more value in knowing they call off this wide than there is in them folding j3o. to put it another way, them folding j3o is the safe option for aces. them calling is the riskier, but more profitable option for aces.

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
your not seeing the big picture in that your opponent called with j3o when way behind.

j3o is still winning ~15% of the time and jj3xx is one of the winning combinations. the fact they hit a the flop is irrelevant because the goal in poker isnt to not lose with big hands, it's to make +ev decisions.

there is more value in knowing they call off this wide than there is in them folding j3o. to put it another way, them folding j3o is the safe option for aces. them calling is the riskier, but more profitable option for aces.
Specifically in that situation, it seems to me that my opponent called because I had a knockout 2х buyins. (and just at that moment I thought that this would be beneficial for me - he would definitely want to take it for himself and would come in with a weak hand :D:D) . and yes, thanks for the reply. I know that aces do not guarantee you anything and I have run them over with similar hands many times - just a memory that popped into my head)

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
the stack allows you to press

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course the big stack matters! With a chip advantage, you are already putting psychological pressure on your opponents, plus if you are an aggressive player, you can use a large stack to bluff mediocre hands more often to steal blinds, especially from tight players.

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello, I saw different things and it happened to me that you can win with 1 bain, but then you have to have a lot of luck))

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's good to play with a bigger stack, it gives you the freedom to play a wider range and impose pressure on your opponent, but it doesn't mean you'll win the most hands.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
A big stack is most comfortable if you build yourself up at the beginning then wait for a good opportunity to take whole stacks of chips away from others without stress.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have repeatedly noticed this at Pokerstars and have come across such cases myself many times. I think the random number generator at PokerStars is initially set up so that tournaments do not drag out in time, and therefore there is a high probability that a large stack will knock a small one out of the game
OHHH! You are walking on thin ice around here wit that theory. I think it is plausible but I deny ever supporting it LOL!

MazzErati

MazzErati

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, there is such a thing in poker, I don't know why and how, but I often saw how players with a large stack hit all in from a short on any two cards and won. But there is another side of the coin, I very often see how an auto all-in player wins with a probability of almost 95%, it is difficult to knock such players out of the game, and they, having 1bb, continue to press the pass and sit.

E

Easylu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
It is good to have a big stack to be able to win more and play several hands, and be a little more aggressive. When you have more chips you have a better chance of winning a tournament.

K

khancerberos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BO
Chips
I think it matters a lot what size of chips you have on the table

jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
You're right, in part, Big stacks win more often in tournaments because they put pressure on short stacks who often fold good cards. So Bigstack very often takes the pot without even seeing the flop. Additionally, the big stack will not be eliminated from the tournament due to losing to the short stack. Everything else is just luck, sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't. If we assume that neither the big stack nor the short stack has a pocket pair, then the winner will be whoever hits anything on the board or has the highest card.

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
The bigger stack can olay looser, and play more hands, that is why you see them bust players with good hands preflop, there is also a bit of variance in there

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes and no, what I see is that the bigger stack usually is more agressive, and agression is key to win at poker. Like D.Negs once said, it's hard to hit your card in poker, so the bigger stack will usually win with a cbet specially at the end of the MTT, bubble, final table etc.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
in my opinion, it is obvious that the larger the stack, the wider you can play, and this is a consequence of winning many hands with the right approach