Bankroll, going pro, and 8 weeks of poker

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But wouldn't losing 1/2 your br in 2 weeks show a lack of discipline? Certainly online you can always smack yourself down. Also you can always calculate a reasonable buy-in based on your own personal rules of BR management.

It seems most of the pros have advice on whether or not to go pro in the first place and when you can consider yourself to be a pro...

I'd like to toss in an odd kind of observation. Someone who grew up lower middle class to poor, might be better suited to the life of a professional poker player. I'm not meaning big name pro. I'm meaning someone who grinds out a living at it...

I know that sounds strange but I was mulling it over for a long time. A person who grew up on the poor side is better equipped for a hand to mouth existence. They surely would need someone to intervene quite quickly on the matter of BR management because when you're used to having to struggle to make ends meet, it makes you ill prepared for managing money properly. Still, with that kind of background, an extended downswing would be easier to live through.

I know that sounds like a very strange contribution. I just know that it's a lot easier to be poor when you already know how to be poor.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I may have misunderstood this (I am playing two MTTs while reading/posting). Did OP really say he has been playing since March, during which time he made a loss, and therefore his next step is to go pro ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

For comparison, I make $500-$600 per month, and have done consistently for a couple of years and many tens of thousands of hands, playing recreationally in the evenings after work.

And I know I am not ready to turn pro.

H

hornellfred

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dorkus's post is all the answer you need. If that don't put it in prespective then nothing will. GL

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That graph is sick. He's made $1.2 Million over 1.4 Million hands? Almost $1 per hand. Unreal.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he's the same guy that's gonna try to do 100k in a month at 400nl fullring right

H

hennyville2000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yep

100 guys try this every day in poker. 1 (you) hits, the other 99 feed the rest of us.

This is true, it is the dream though when you make small deposits. I definatly go for broke when I deposit a small sum, it is actually more exciting for me.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he's the same guy that's gonna try to do 100k in a month at 400nl fullring right

He said he'd do this if he could get at least $250k in action. I doubt he'll get any takers. He also has an open challenge to anyone in the world to see who can make the most money in a month at 1kNL and 2kNL.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He said he's do this if he could get at least $250k in action. I doubt he'll get any takers. He also has an open challenge to anyone in the world to see who can make the most money in a month at 1kNL and 2kNL.

what odds does he want or is he giving? if its 1:1 i might be interested tbh

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what odds does he want or is he giving? if its 1:1 i might be interested tbh

LOL it's a sucker bet, tbh. I'm not a LA fanboy or anything, but the guy is a sick sick machine.

$100,000 @ 400NL ~ 300k hands @ 4PTBB/100

Both of those figures are WELL within his range. Especially if there's money on the line. He routinely plays 150k hands a month at 1kNL+.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep, he'll crush that prop bet if anyone takes it imo. I don't know what he's laying, but 1:1 would be a steal, heh.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL it's a sucker bet, tbh. I'm not a LA fanboy or anything, but the guy is a sick sick machine.

$100,000 @ 400NL ~ 300k hands @ 4PTBB/100

Both of those figures are WELL within his range. Especially if there's money on the line. He routinely plays 150k hands a month at 1kNL+.

whats his winrate at 1knl? i'd be hard-pressed to believe that anyone who puts in 300k hands in a month can sustain > 3 PTBBs

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whats his winrate at 1knl? i'd be hard-pressed to believe that anyone who puts in 300k hands in a month can sustain > 3 PTBBs

From what I have seen, between 3-4PTBB/100. He seriously is capable of holding like 6PTBB/100 at NL400 while 10 tabling.

Attachments

• dusty.jpg
    dusty.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 7
dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, here's the 2+2 Thread regarding the prop

Edit : My favorite quote from the thread

Originally Posted by ImsaKidd
Didnt you have a 52k month at 1/2 with no propbets before?

Originally posted by Leatherass
yes. but, shhhhhhhhhh
smile.gif

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management