Ask Me Anything (Dusty Schmidt aka Leatherass in the well)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BTW, What Do These Eight Letters Stand For......

except it is only 7?????

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#1 On ring games what limits did you start at online?

#2 How much was your first deposit for your first ring game sessions?

#3 Do you feel its better to wait till you have enough bankroll to skip the micro tables and play low limits?

Thanks for your time..

1. I started at .25/.50 limit on party poker

2. $50

3. Absolutely. In my book I recommend always having 100 buy ins for the games you are playing.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty,
I am new to cardschat, and before I ask you any questions, although many have said so before me.. THANK YOU.

Your raw unvarnished answers are so totally refreshing in comparison to what i think of as "answers made to keep up a Mystique" which is the way i see alot of the answers in articles and such.
I personally appreciate the brutal honesty that you use in your responses (while you are never rude). This is the type of character trait that makes people i aspire to be like my personal heros, and also the first trait that I look for in new people in my life whether work or socially related.
You are an Icon.

I am ordering your Book
I have a dream like many here to become a professional poker player
and while i admit lotsa money would be nice, my goal to begin with is much simpler. It is 2 fold really
first to suplement my income, and then to progress to the point where it is my income, and by that I dont mean riches just financial stability without answering to anyone but me.

I dont currently even have a question for you as so much has been asked already and i am still absorbing it all... BUT I do have somthing for ya...

GRATITUDE

thanks Dusty.

Wow thanks! Very, very appreciative of this. Good luck!

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First there was that fact that you pointed out about PS.

but later in the thread you say that if you can't get rakeback it is pretty much hopeless for you (not a direct quote but the gist of it)

so since you play at stars does that mean you have a special deal with them, or is playing there profitable becuase your winrate is enough to just absorb the hit of not having rake back ?
I ask because I play there too and it is very frusterating that they do not have rake back, as it is my prefferred site.

thanks again for your time.

This is the reason Stars is the best. Stars has a democratized VIP rewards system where it doesn't matter who you are, you earn cash bonuses (basically like rakeback) based on how much poker you play on their site. So you are not penalized at poker stars because you may have created an account awhile back before you knew about rake back. This is why people should really just play on Poker Stars. They are straight up about everything and that is probably the reason they are #1

Thanks again for everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This brings up something I thought was kind of inconsistent throughout the book and your posts. You pride yourself on this "no losing month" stuff but really isn't a month just some arbitrary time frame. I mean, if we're really playing our best and putting in solid volume, losing months should be uncommon but certainly not unheard of. I mean it's like getting crushed by the deck for 31 days (or 30 or 28) means nothing if it runs through the middle of 2 months as long as you make up for it and finish each one up, but put that same bad stretch from day 1 to day 30 and suddenly your a loser??? I think you put WAY too much into this no losing month thing. Maybe it's something you should work on with Jared?

BTW I do hope you make it this month. It's obviously very important to you but my question is, should it be?

What you are saying is exactly right. My no losing month thing is something that has become a streak that has gone on for 58 months now and I am just having some fun with it. I don't think it's something I need to hire a shrink over, just a fun little streak I have going.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a way, I kinda feel like WVH. I don't think the month to month is important, but it does give us a concrete time frame to view our game under. However, a losing month shouldn't be considered such a bad thing that it causes the mental side of your game to suffer. I mean this... if you were to have always looked at your game as a "weekly" thing instead of monthly, would this even be bothering you right now? I know you said you've had some really terrible weeks but turned them around before the month was over. Or do you think that any losing time frame just puts your mind in the crapper, so to speak.

I know if I ever have a 57 month winning streak, I'll probably be running around on month 58 jibbering like an ewok and killing kittens if I'm running horrible as well. So I'm not hating!

Regardless of how I think about it, it is really something that never enters my mind when playing poker so I think it is mostly harmless.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi LA cool that u answer all our questions. I also have a couple if you dont mind.

1. You say in the strategy section of the book that you would c/r an opponents turnbet after he checked back the flop and then bet the turn like Kxx, flop goes ch ch, turn lets say a T, u check he bets and u raise!?
Would u do this play with any 2 cards that uve called in the BB before or which hands do u choose that move with? what do u do with a hand like midpair on the flop e.g. 88 on that T turn? u still c/r or c/c with medium strength hands?

2. Same topic but now u r the PFA: u cb flop with QQ on Kxxr ( do u recommend this play? since its not that difficult for a good opponent to put u on those hands or would you bet to rather rep air or nutz?) and ur opponent leads turn on a blank. Do u raise him here? cause u said in your book that u would raise turnleads by your opponents. Or do you call since u have showdown value? But I think again that by calling turn its easier for ur opponents to put you on those hands isnt it?

3. I really like ur multitabling action but I saw in your videos and also on a picture that u play with the classic layout on PS. I was wondering why you guys dont play with a custom layout or at least with better looking cards ( u play with the normal cards right?) on ps i like the simplified cards way more :D for me I think it also has an impact on how good I play when I try to have a nice layout im playing with. What do u think about that? u might wanna check out tiltbuster for their custom layouts (im not a worker there but bought several off of the people and I just wanna support their great work ;))

4. Is there any chance that you play professional golf again?

5. How much is a membership on dragthebar.com?

6. I also really like USA ( im from germany) and I might wanna move there so can you tell me how much tax do a professional poker player has to pay? do u have to pay ur taxes monthly or yearly? did you consider to move to another country where you dont have to pay taxes on ur winnings? I think there are some like England e.g.

7. Have you played against the PS player nanonoko so far and if yes what do you think does he different than you?

8. How are u able to get reads on your opponents when playing 16 tables? do you write notes down or do u save them in ur head? for me when I play that many tables ( even 9 is much for me) I just click the buttons and due to the action cant really focus on my opponents...:ridinghor

9. Have your account ever got hacked or are you scared about getting hacked/ having so much money online? Where do u have all the other money since u cant use neteller anymore...

10. you wrote in the book that one of ur friend once had 250k on an account and all of a sudden that pokersite had closed. Did he get that money back?

11. I heard that obama likes playing poker. Im just wondering why doesnt he legalize poker then? Is he maybe planning to do so? Do u think he wil be elected next time again?

12. Did your wife liked what you were doing right from the start or was she sceptical and disliked that u `gamble` ?

13. Do you know if other highstakes player do something similar to what you are doing with the homeless people?

14. For how long will you be answering the members questions?

thx for answering and keep up the good work with the homeless people. I hope one day I can do the same:)

1. The cards don't matter for that play. As far as the middle pair example goes, I just don't have enough info to tell you for sure.

2. Again, just not enough info to give an answer. Sorry :(

3. I am so used to it that anything else I try looks like Chinese to me. :)

4. Probably make a run at the Senior tour some day. It would be nice that's for sure, but for now my sights are on improving my poker game.

5. $30 a month or cheaper if you buy 6 or 12 months.

6. The USA has a law that says you have to pay USA taxes even after you move, unless maybe you are moving for good. As far as taxes in the USA go, I would contact an accountant.

7. We play pretty similarly. He does some things different as do I.

8. I don't develop reads as well playing 16 tables, no question. I do my best to remember, however.

9. I would prefer not to answer this question

10. No

11. If everything in Congress happened the way barack wanted it to then things would be a lot different haha. I think he has more important things to worry about right now than poker, but for many reasons, I wish he did have the time to legalize poker.

12. In all honesty she fell in love with me so quickly that she probably wouldn't have even had time to think much about it. :D

13. Not that I am aware of, but quite possibly.

14. For as long as people are asking.

Thanks for the questions.

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know you are a nice guy. I can tell.

But that is just plain silly! :eek: Hope we will have you!?!??! ;)

I think I can safely speak for nearly all of us when I say We are THRILLED you are here, proud you want to stay, and extremely excited to have a chance to learn about poker from someone who has become a master of the game.

I'm glad to know you. It will be even more fun here now that you are a part of the community.

Again, Welcome!

^^ :top:
:dancing:

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really appreciate the questions everyone. I also want to let everyone know that I have decided to call Cardschat.com my home forum!! I am going to post here and help people with their games on a VERY frequent basis. I am really looking forward to helping out. This forum is simply awesome and I am thrilled to have come across it and now call it my home! You guys definitely won me over with this thread. What a great bunch of people over here. I'm really happy to have found a home in this forum. I hope you guys will have me.

Thanks!

Dusty

I will repeat what I said in the lounge....

Just when we thought this forum couldn't any awesomer... Welcome home, Dusty! We can't always promise to keep it clean, but I'm sure you'll find it warm and comfortable. :D

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Dusty! Glad that you're over here at cardschat and sparing some time to answer questions...I've bought your book, I'm halfway through it, it's the third poker book I bought, and I can honestly say it was the most helpful and very different from the rest since my main objective is making money online!

These last 2 months I've only been reading books, watching videos, posting on cardschat, and playing freerolls on pokerstars and full tilt(won then lost etc...).But I really want to start seriously now, I'm going to deposit 50$ in 2 days on full tilt and so I need some advice:

1-I'm not used to multi-tabling more than 2 tables at once.Should i learn this right away?If I should, how should I go about it?
2-I don't have rakeback on any of the 2 sites...Is this a lost cause?
3-I can spare 4 hours for poker per day(Yes!real 4 hours like you said in your book :p).I need to set an objective. How much should my 50$BR be in a month if I play my A-game?(I'm quite good and been playin since 4 years...)
4-Since the other books I read were Doyle's super system and slansky's theory and practice, I think I play mostly by the book and I apply all position strategies and pot odds etc...to my play. After the many freerolls I played I'm not sure if that's the best play. Do you think I should change my play style for the micro tables I'm gonna start at?
5-How much bb should I enter with when I first start at the cash games?and at how much should I stop playing at the table?
6-Should I go all in pre-flop or should I always wait for the flop?It's hard not to shove with AA and it sucks to see them cracked when playing with real money!
7-When should I stop?How much should I win before I stop or how much do I have to lose (if on losing streak) before I stop?
8-Finally! How do you deal with the enormous amount of bad beats you encounter minute after minute on the internet?What do you do when you lose your quads over a suck-out quad on the river?Can I still play that day?If so what should I do before I continue playing?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions Dusty. I'll keep you posted on my advance after my deposit through PMs if you would allow it. You're great man! Thanks for making online profit possible :p and keep up the good work :)!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really appreciate the questions everyone. I also want to let everyone know that I have decided to call Cardschat.com my home forum!! I am going to post here and help people with their games on a VERY frequent basis. I am really looking forward to helping out. This forum is simply awesome and I am thrilled to have come across it and now call it my home! You guys definitely won me over with this thread. What a great bunch of people over here. I'm really happy to have found a home in this forum. I hope you guys will have me.

Thanks!

Dusty

Glad to hear this Dusty - it will be great to have you helping some players out with strategy and analysis when you have time.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OH SWEET! I knew you'd stay if I told you I'd steal your blinds!;):p

This is just awesome news. Made my whole day.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Couldn't have said it better myself..lol.

That quote really was well put. AEJones is just ticked because you've re-raised his hand in life and all he's holding is 93s. I've read you're blog about what he had been saying and then went and searched out some stuff on my own and that guy is just over the top. But hey, you can't have fame and fortune without having a few haters. And I'd rather be on your end of that stick any time.:D

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Thanks!

Dusty

It's great to have you here, Dusty! :)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What you are saying is exactly right. My no losing month thing is something that has become a streak that has gone on for 58 months now and I am just having some fun with it. I don't think it's something I need to hire a shrink over, just a fun little streak I have going.

Good to hear that it's not that important to you, other than as something you'd obviously like to continue (who doesn't want to win money every month). I guess because it's a part of your standard tag-line (on the book, in bluff, any time you're introduced) I thought maybe you had built it into an obsession. Also congrats on making it to 58.

Really glad you plan to stick around. Your expertise and experience will be invaluable.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks!

Dusty

Rock on Dusty, you won't regret this decision one bit. We are a lot like family. We don't always get along but we always figure things out in the end. It's an absolute pleasure welcoming you to CC and I know that I speak for everyone here at CC when I say, thank you for your contributions and for deciding to stick around.

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it has been said many times, but here is to one more..... Your book is absolutely amazing! I am only to the strategy section, however the first part of the book was so informative. It put my in an "outside of the box" prespective and was the most enjoyable reading material that I have ever read! I can't wait to finish and start over again!
I am also very excited to read Raise when it is released!

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks!

Dusty

Welcome to the forum! (As a full time member, anyway, lol) I think you'll soon find that this is a much closer nit community (or at least much warmer) than the other well known forum. Don't get me wrong, debates get very heated around here as well but eventually, most people just kiss and make up.

I look forward to your input in the cash games section of this forum. I'm not sure if you've glanced over there yet, but there is a monthly cash games thread, where you will find some of the more experienced players. I'm sure everyone there will more than welcome and respect your thoughts and ideas. Glad to have you here, Dusty.

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty "leatherass" Schmidt calling CC home! That's wicked!

I'm excited already!

Welcome, kind sir.

xXSmuggla

xXSmuggla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome! looking forward to reading your book

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rock on Dusty, you won't regret this decision one bit. We are a lot like family. We don't always get along but we always figure things out in the end. It's an absolute pleasure welcoming you to CC and I know that I speak for everyone here at CC when I say, thank you for your contributions and for deciding to stick around.

DON'T SPEAK FOR ME EVER!!! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THAT???

Awesome to have you Dusty. Welcome to CC, I'm looking forward to all the knowledge and wisdom you will surely bring to the forum.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dusty - A quick question about Holdem Manager -
What are the top three indicators you look at when evaluating the efficiency of your poker business? Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Bought your book......enjoyed it. Appreciate you taking the time to write it.
Another quick question - If you could start with a clean slate, what type of table image would you like to have? More specifically, what do you think is the optimal table image, and why?

Thanks again for the book and taking the time to answer these questions. Best wishes for continued success with your poker business.

With Common Goals -
Joe D.

To be honest I just use HEM as a tracking tools for my wins/losses. I have never really looked at everything HEM has to offer and explored it. I use the HUD on occasion and just look at VPIP/PFR mainly.

If I could start with a clean slate I would just do it the same way all over again since I am quite happy with my results. I think table image is certainly important as the whole key in poker is to get people to misjudge your range. So you want people to think you are something a little different than what you really are.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Dusty, Read your book with great interest as I am trying to supplement my income with poker. I want to make a quick comment regarding your monthly "streak". As with all streaks in sports, they take on a life of their own after a while. Domaggio's hitting streak, Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak, etc...

You just want to keep yours going but more for the streaks sake. I hope you did but if you don't, I think you know its not the end of the world. And no one is going to think you any less a poker player.

My question concerns accountability. What I mean is, when you were starting out, the temptation to play higher limits, to get yourself more cash quicker, had to be enormous.

How did you handle that ? Did you have people you had to report to ? Someone keeping tabs on your game so you didn't get out of line ?

Also, how did you decide how much you could withdraw from your winnings vs how much to re-invest into your business ?

By the way, I think it is FANTASTIC that one of the best online poker players chose CardsChat to be an active member. Thanks for doing this.

1. Thanks! I did keep the steak alive, barely. I honestly don't give it as much thought as it may seem. I am proud of it, but if it were to stop this month I know that it is a good accomplishment either way.

2. I didn't have that problem at all actually. It has never really sounded appealing to play really high stakes at this point in my career. I love that I can play relatively risk free (the swings I endure are very minor relative to my bankroll) and have a chance to make big money still. There will come a point many millions of dollars in earnings for me down the road where I will want to play some high stakes stuff, but for now I don't really want to take on the risk/stress associated with playing any higher than 25/50 nl.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know you are a nice guy. I can tell.

But that is just plain silly! :eek: Hope we will have you!?!??! ;)

I think I can safely speak for nearly all of us when I say We are THRILLED you are here, proud you want to stay, and extremely excited to have a chance to learn about poker from someone who has become a master of the game.

I'm glad to know you. It will be even more fun here now that you are a part of the community.

Again, Welcome!

Thanks very much. I too look forward to getting to know you. See ya around in the forums!