Anyone try to play poker while stoned?

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cannabis does effect short-term memory.

If you work closely with a smoker, you will find them forgetting all kinds of stuff. They simply have no recollection of short conversations.

You also notice that when they have periods of abstinence form smoking their memory magically improves.

I have experienced this from both sides.

When I was in my early 20s I smoked a few times a week, and people always commented on how poor my memory was. I often assumed that they were simply lying because I had no recollection of their 30 second meeting by the water cooler a week ago.

When I gave up regular smoking, people seemed to notice my memory improve within a couple of weeks.

From the other side, I have worked with regular smokers and seen exactly the same patterns.

When people say it rots your brain, there is an element of truth there.

Ok I agree there, but be open minded with me for a second. Being able to forget things such a bad beats, bad run of card, suckouts, etc. is something a good poker player is able to do. So why do you need short term memory? ;) No need to go on tilt when you can't even remember how you were knocked out of your last tournament. The bad beat story won't linger.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok I agree there, but be open minded with me for a second. Being able to forget things such a bad beats, bad run of card, suckouts, etc. is something a good poker player is able to do. So why do you need short term memory? ;) No need to go on tilt when you can't even remember how you were knocked out of your last tournament. The bad beat story won't linger.

LOL

Thats a fair point :D

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

And I thought it was my improved confidence in my game that kept me from whining about bad beats and suckouts. :confused:
Damn - now you took that away from me, too. :mad:
Maybe I should light up now --- but I forgot where I put my lighter.:eek:
:D:D:D

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cannabis does effect short-term memory.

If you work closely with a smoker, you will find them forgetting all kinds of stuff. They simply have no recollection of short conversations.

You also notice that when they have periods of abstinence form smoking their memory magically improves.

I have experienced this from both sides.

When I was in my early 20s I smoked a few times a week, and people always commented on how poor my memory was. I often assumed that they were simply lying because I had no recollection of their 30 second meeting by the water cooler a week ago.

When I gave up regular smoking, people seemed to notice my memory improve within a couple of weeks.

From the other side, I have worked with regular smokers and seen exactly the same patterns.

When people say it rots your brain, there is an element of truth there.

Don't forget its also dose and person dependent. While some may have short term memory problems, others may not have that much of an effect. personally I forget stuff stoned and sober :p

Also regarding doses, you can smoke to a point where it is detrimental playing (lack of interest, etc) but there is also the I guess for lack of a better word "functional" stoned, which seems to be more of just a mood-relaxer

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't forget its also dose and person dependent. While some may have short term memory problems, others may not have that much of an effect. personally I forget stuff stoned and sober :p

Also regarding doses, you can smoke to a point where it is detrimental playing (lack of interest, etc) but there is also the I guess for lack of a better word "functional" stoned, which seems to be more of just a mood-relaxer

Oh yeah there are definitely factors to consider and the harm caused has to be put into context by comparing it to other options.

I do find that the majority of pot smokers seem to disregard any side-effects, when they do exist. I think they should be a little more realistic.

Putting it into context though, I don't know this as scientific fact, but I would imagine the long term effects of alcohol are worse than that of cannabis, but thats not to say that cannabis is 100% without detrimental effects.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah there are definitely factors to consider and the harm caused has to be put into context by comparing it to other options.

I do find that the majority of pot smokers seem to disregard any side-effects, when they do exist. I think they should be a little more realistic.

Putting it into context though, I don't know this as scientific fact, but I would imagine the long term effects of alcohol are worse than that of cannabis, but thats not to say that cannabis is 100% without detrimental effects.

Yea they exist for sure. But the side effects get blown out of proportion at times as well with regards to cannabis v. alcohol/nicotene/whatever ones legal fix may be

H

herlis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
well i must say that its not whether your stoned or drunk it all depend on you on your play on how focused you are at your game and how determined you are to win your game and with a little help from luck.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just wanted to add that I rather draw a picture or play my guitars when I smoke, than play poker.

I like the creative boost it gives me.

I don't need that necessarily playing poker :D.

Cannabis has got a weird side-effect on me - I don't get tired (like many others)

I tend to stay awake the whole night.

I must admit that this has enabled me to win MTT freerolls at 6 am, but with working hours from 7 am to 8 pm it just can't be done anymore.
(job>>small poker earnings)
and a completely wrecked / stoned / sleepless teacher won't teach anything substantial to the kids either, will he ?:stoned:

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
during a tourney break any sort of saying related to smoking gets a big response.

my favorites are ..."time to light one up" or "time to blaze one"

usually will get at least 3 other people to say ditto or..smoke one for me lol

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most post in there. :)
My only trouble is that some peeps said to quit smoking pot, but when you are used to smoke for almost half of your life and without any behaviours troubles, except the short term memory affliction, why would you choose to stop smoking?
Haschisch is my drug and i know how to control it.
I think that the all economics is based on dependence, that's how it rolls, nor why would you drink Cokes and eat burgers every single day to get
medical problems while getting fat? :D
This is an addiction too, and it might be more dangerous than pot smoking IMO.
So i think that people that don't smoke pot should also wonder what are their addictions?

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I smoke almost every time I play, but it depends how stoned I get as to how well I am going to do. With some Grade A chronic 1 hit will put me in a good place where I am not distracted by other things, yet not too stoned where I just stare off into the screen not paying attention at all.

It totally depends on the person and the dose. I have smoked for almost half my life, 1 person brought up smoking a couple times a week and said they had memory problems, Ive smoked every day for years and have still been the person that everyone depends on to remember everything, and I remember stuff the sober and drunks completely forget about. Yes, I have memory problems sometimes, but I only forget the stuff I didnt care to remember anyway.

Now as too doing better while stoned compared to sober its hard to say. I do better with just a couple tokes, but my friend can't play poker at all. He is amazed that I actually do good when high.

***Also***
As some one else said, I am usually high or smoke atleast a couple times a day, so to me being stoned playing poker is like being normal. Back in high school, the days I would go in not stoned were the days that everyone thought I was high.

E

erinh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a shame there isn't any statistical evidence to these perceptions,
and could evidence produced whilst in partial faculty control be considered valid, accurate or fully documented anyway.

We could compare stoner play to sober play by analyzing the hand history, couldn't we?

I

icepick007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this still remains an enigma to me,how can so many online phenoms play stoned,its such an utter mystery,i've tried it a cpl of times,and have definitely realized how bad it could be

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol i found this in the full tilt records....

QUESTION FROM Flo420: its marijuana a bad drug?
ANSWER FROM Patrik Antonius: no its a leaf lol

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Krantz and FWF have done this, however, in FWF's well post he talks about how he doesnt think it can be very effective for your game lol

C

chop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing stoned is awesome, i am usually very dumb while stoned, but with poker it seems to go really well

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So i think that people that don't smoke pot should also wonder what are their addictions?

Wow..... That's deep.
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

-

G

Grinderinoz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While not stoned, last time I played after plenty of beers one night I opened 3 45 man SNG's.

Busted in one, came 3rd in one and won the other.

I haven't run that good sober since, but my head cant take the little man inside with the hammer going bam bam bam the next day.

S

sharpone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eureathra

Now this is funny, im sitting here high out of my mind and i run across this post. I have a tourney starting in a few minutes so i geuss i will test out your experiment . Honestly i play high all the time, and i think i play a lil looser when i do more care free.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so does it help you figure POT odds?? HA!

pardon the lame joke. i don't smoke that stuff cause it never had any desirable effect on me...but, i'm more than willing to admit i'm an alcoholic...i'll have a hangover the next day from not drinking. not to bring alcohol into the thread but i think it's somewhat related from what i'm reading so far. but has anyone heard of the ballmer peak? its a theory among computer programmers that you're "in the zone" while your blood alcohol content is within a certain range. i subscribe to it since i code and script for fun, and since i went back to school last year, i sure did drink while i was doing homework. the funny thing is i'd always actually kinda felt in the zone after a certain amount of drinking *while* programming. then a buddy of mine pointed out to me there's actually a term for it, haha.

i like to have at night while i'm playing poker around 3-5 beers, now there's where i'm not sure if it actually helps me play aside from it just helps ME feel like me.

here's some links...it's somewhat of a joke/theory.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ballmer Peak
http://xkcd.com/323/

sky4ever

sky4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hehe, I never tried that one because a friend of mine who gave me to smoke for the first time told me to never play poker afterwards because he did and pretty much went broke.But after I`m reading your opinions guys...I think I`ll definitely try that once :D

G

GREATWH1TE2009

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hahaha I do it all the time,doens't make it as bad when you get rivered