Anyone try to play poker while stoned?

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't dream of playing poker stoned. How on earth could being completely monged out help you :rolleyes:

been curious lately whether Ritalin might be beneficial to the game?

Now this may work.

Marklar

Marklar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have, however, been curious lately whether Ritalin might be beneficial to the game?

Or maybe modafinil

"Modafinil is a mood-brightening and memory-enhancing psychostimulant which enhances wakefulness and vigilance." -Companies website

"In the United States military, Modafinil has been approved for use on certain Air Force missions, and it is being investigated for other uses. One study of helicopter pilots suggested that 600 mg of modafinil given in three doses can be used to keep pilots alert and maintain their accuracy at pre-deprivation levels for 40 hours without sleep" -wikipedia

caffeine is the only drug you'll find in me, but i do find that a bit interesting

VerbalKint

VerbalKint

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont get high anymore (17 years drug free, ty) but I find I need at least one drink to loosen up my starting hands. When completely sober I play like a freaking robot with his "bluff" switch turned off. Every pre-flop raise I make is either folded around to me or called by someone holding two random cards hoping to hit two pair and stack me. A drink (or two) makes me look like a babbling obnoxious idiot and then I get paid more times than not.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to admit that I did try playing stoned over christmas. I'm not a big pot smoker, but once in a while is OK. I played some small SNG's and that is pretty much what happened to me.

I've been doing some experimenting, and I've consistently played better poker if I smoke a bit of pot before a live session. Somehow it makes me more perceptive and focused, my reads get a lot better and I seem to be a lot more patient.

Anyone have similar/different experiences?

I was playing 1 table at a time, and was sat there and I just 'knew' when someone was weak and would fold. Maybe I was on a heater that day, but a friend of mine was sat next to me and he was just taken aback that I would have ATC.. and just say.. this guy will fold the flop.. and sure enough he would. Oh and no HUD either.. I couldnt focus on it properly!

We did joke that maybe stoned poker was the way forward!!

I wouldn't recommend it to higher stakes players but I would suggest that the smokers here try it out on a few small tournaments. A lot of people in this thread seem to be agreeing with this!

C

CardConnoisseur

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't even drink while playing poker. I believe any mind altering substances will make you play away from the way you would play normally. And if normally, you're disciplined, you should not mess with that. Now, I don't smoke, so can't really speak for the topic. I just know i make killings off of drunk players.

M

maolitas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fact when I'm stoned usually, I don't like so much to play online poker, so the answer is no.

woody19

woody19

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usaly smoke a nice spliff b4 playing poker carms me down make me think about what i doing more than when i am sober but just l8ly trying 2 stop smoking it so haf2 try play more carm and colleted but haf2 say its is really good being stoned while playing i consintrate more :):)

L

luzmaria

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so..this is why there is so many insane bingo players on the sites...thougt something must be wrong and the answer is....its cause they are POT smokers players:D

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The toker you poke, the poker you toke... :rolleyes:

N

nugsmoke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone play poker NOT stoned?
I sure hope not!!!

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone play poker NOT stoned?
I sure hope not!!!

lol I wonder this myself.
Both here and stox has been packed full of stoners.

Is the a correlation between poker and cannabis use?
Any other type of forum you will be told "drugs are bad" "say no to drugs", on poker forums you will get unanimous acceptance.

A

Aqqachar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most poker players are either stoned or drunk while playing....

hojediade

hojediade

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it will mostly depends on your consuming habits.
I personnaly smoke while playing online poker, but i would also smoke if i wasn't playing. :D So the difference is 0 for me, as i can't remember my last pot break, nor the last time i wasn't stone. Might be years ago. :eek:

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing stoned - mmmm I can't remember.

Possibly I wanted to but forgot to register and watched my aquarium instead.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol I wonder this myself.
Both here and stox has been packed full of stoners.

Is the a correlation between poker and cannabis use?
Any other type of forum you will be told "drugs are bad" "say no to drugs", on poker forums you will get unanimous acceptance.

Should get more acceptance everywhere imo

E

erinh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't smoke pot, but I doubt it makes you a better player. If it did there would be alot more people doing it
signature_smileyh.jpg

That doesn't follow. For one, a lot of people ARE doing it. For another, each person is different and there are more than one kinds of high.

Surf Rat

Surf Rat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:D:cool: :canabis: :icon_thum Ohhh yeah....:D:cool: some closet chronic:canabis: :D :cool:a big mug of Java :coffee: :D :cool:some peanut butter MM's...and I'm ready to play:laugh: :hahaha::stoned: :smokin: my fav saying at the break's of tourny's is "SMOKE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM" almost always gets a big response from other players at table....does it help?? .......it does increase my concentration and keeps me on a even keel emotionally(less likely to get impatient or pissed :mad: and to go on tilt:eek: )....is it for everybody??.......no....like all things it depends on the person and how they handle it and it's affects on them(some get very very sleepy or lathargic..some a little paranoid and edgey):smokin: :canabis: ...and I'm haveing way to much fun with these smiley's ...LOL:icon_boun

lennytoon

lennytoon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lennytoon

I would say so becuse if have a drink it makes me a very agresive player, i smoke and everthing is calm and i fold when need to.
When i am sober i dont know what to do lol.
Gives a good excuse to my lass thou, to get the drik in ha!:D

E

Ecomdan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny you mention that. I consider short-term memory to be a valuable asset to playing poker, so I haven't tried it while stoned. I have, however, been curious lately whether Ritalin might be beneficial to the game?

I remember using ritalin once before a call of duty tournament and it totally put me in the zone... hand eye coordination was spot on and I was almost unstoppable. Definitely helped with concentration, seeing as how I don't have ADD (at least not diagnosed :p ) it seems reasonable to assume it would give me higher than normal concentration.

As a former wake'n'baker I don't smoke pot much anymore, but the few times I've played live tournaments while high I really didn't do so well... my tolerance went waayyyy down since I stopped smoking so the tiny hit that I took before the tourney got me too stoned to think.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Consistently played better poker or consistently thought you played better poker?

Very good point James,
a shame there isn't any statistical evidence to these perceptions,
and could evidence produced whilst in partial faculty control be considered valid, accurate or fully documented anyway.

On the bright side we can certainly see that the games were,
consistently enjoyed more.

E

eellaadd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
smoking is bad.... i wouldnt smoke and play

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
smoking is bad.... i wouldnt smoke and play

Marijuana may not be good, but it really isn't all that bad

Its no more addictive than caffeine , doesn't lead to harder drugs, and causes no more damage to your body than alcohol/cigarettes (better than cigarettes in terms of long term health)

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Marijuana may not be good, but it really isn't all that bad

Its no more addictive than caffeine , doesn't lead to harder drugs, and causes no more damage to your body than alcohol/cigarettes (better than cigarettes in terms of long term health)

You forgot no one has even died or OD'd from smoking it. I'm sure you've had a few car accidents stoned, but none as alarming as the rate of drunk driving accidents. It cracks me up how alcohol is legal, and they sell it in restaurants at bars, watch people get smashed, and allow them to drive out of there.

Just a joke IMO.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cannabis does effect short-term memory.

If you work closely with a smoker, you will find them forgetting all kinds of stuff. They simply have no recollection of short conversations.

You also notice that when they have periods of abstinence form smoking their memory magically improves.

I have experienced this from both sides.

When I was in my early 20s I smoked a few times a week, and people always commented on how poor my memory was. I often assumed that they were simply lying because I had no recollection of their 30 second meeting by the water cooler a week ago.

When I gave up regular smoking, people seemed to notice my memory improve within a couple of weeks.

From the other side, I have worked with regular smokers and seen exactly the same patterns.

When people say it rots your brain, there is an element of truth there.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ritalin will make anyone a poker champ fwiw