Anyone know the reason why royal flush rank the highest?

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had 3 Royals (got the badges on Poker Table Rankings to prove it!!!!)

E

einsteintimes9

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you guys are missing is that there are more possibilities of straight flushes. You're focusing on one combination which is exactly what a royal flush is. A royal flush is simply an ace high straight flush. There are EXACTLY 9 other straight flush possibilities (K high, Q high, J high down to 5 high). Which makes a royal flush 9 times more rare than a straight flush!

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which makes a royal flush 9 times more rare than a straight flush!

But a royal flush is a straight flush.

Let's say I give a fancy name to the nine-high straight flush; let's call it the noyal flush. The noyal flush is just as rare as the royal flush. Yet the royal is ranked higher than the noyal. So when it comes to ranking one straight flush against another, odds have absolutely nothing to do with it.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you guys are missing is that there are more possibilities of straight flushes. You're focusing on one combination which is exactly what a royal flush is. A royal flush is simply an ace high straight flush. There are EXACTLY 9 other straight flush possibilities (K high, Q high, J high down to 5 high). Which makes a royal flush 9 times more rare than a straight flush!

I don't think anyone's missing that given how it's been said 136 other times in this topic.

E

einsteintimes9

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand how you guys dont get this.. It only makes sense that if a 7 high straight flush is better than a 6 high and given that an ace is the highest card throughout the game that an ace high royal flush is the best hand.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any historical reasons that

Why royal flush nearly ranked highest in most of the poker games?

one more detailed is that
why even in the royal flush, the rank is like this?

Spade Royal flush is the highest , then next one is hearts? diamond? last one is club royal flush?

:D:D:D:D

It is called a royal flush because it is the;

A) Highest straight flush possible
B) Has the highest ranking cards all in one 5 card hand in a row.
C) Has all the "royalty" in it as well; (King, Queen, Jack). Thus the "royal"; in older societies, royalty was the highest ranks within that society.

So, highest, highest, highest; Royal flush. A king high flush is only highest, highest. There is one more highest to add. So, it could not also be referred to as a royal flush despite having the King, Queen, and Jack. No ace, not the highest, not a royal flush. I think that it makes perfect sense.

Europe was a major influence. If you wanted something higher than a 10, but less than an ace, the King, Queen, and foot servant (Jack) were logical choices. As they actually represented real people in society. I have no clue when "foot servant" became "jack"

As for the order of the suits, who knows? It had to be done though, for games where both players could make the exact same flush at the same time. Since this could not be a split pot because they were both the best hands you could make and otherwise equal, I can imagine the fights taking place in the old, old days;

"I have the highest hand! An ace high flush!"
"No, no, I have the highest hand! An ace high flush"

Then you look at both, and yeppers! They are both right!

So before a game could be started, you had to establish what happens if 2 players both get the exact same flush. No one wanted to split it, so they started picking suits "in order", strongest to weakest, just like Ace to 10. They choose this over a split pot. Why? Who knows? I think it should be a split pot, but I am not the poker police. The house always has that honor.

This only applies for those instances where both or more have the exact same ranks for the flush hand. so the royal is not the problem; it is the ace high flush. You could more often see two or more players in stud get an ace high flush. So if they all make it with exactly the same ranks of cards, you must resort to suits.

Ad9d7d6d2d beats As8s7s6s2s (9 higher than 8, suit does not matter)

Yet;

As8s7s6s2s beats Ad8d7d6d2d (same exact ranked hands, now you must go to suits to pick a winner) At merge it is (Highest) Spades, Hearts, Clubs, and Diamond (Lowest)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cause whoever created the game made it that way=0

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cause the other hands don't rank so high.

MAFSC

MAFSC

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The royal flush is the rarest hand in poker

W

WhineyLobster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not because its the rarest...its a combination of being the rarest (straight flush) + your A being the high card.

Every straight flush has exactly the same odds of hitting.

Lets say you only played with 1 card. A vs a K...both cards are equally rare...but the A is higher, thus the A wins. But there are the same amount of Ks in the deck as there are As.

Also, even if you were playing A vs As... the Aspades would win (assuming you play suit ranks which I assume you would in a 1 card poker hand). Its not that the Aspades is rarer than any other A...its that its just ranked higher.

In a poker game without a flop (7 card stud, 5 card draw etc)... both players can possibly hit a royal flush or the same straight flush... depending on the game, you can either split or the person with the highest suit (spades then hearts, then clubs then diamonds) may win. If you lost with a royal to a higher ranked suit royal though...you should quit for an hour or two at least lol.

W

WhineyLobster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...and hopefully scoop the bad beat jackpot!

W

WhineyLobster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are EXACTLY 9 other straight flush possibilities (K high, Q high, J high down to 5 high). Which makes a royal flush 9 times more rare than a straight flush!

Yes but this can be said about ANY single straight flush compared to the other straight flushes. an 8 high straight flush is 9 times more rare than any other straight flush...just because the A is highest doesnt mean its MORE RARE. Its really just to do with hand rankings.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As for the order of the suits, who knows? It had to be done though, for games where both players could make the exact same flush at the same time. Since this could not be a split pot because they were both the best hands you could make and otherwise equal, I can imagine the fights taking place in the old, old days;

"I have the highest hand! An ace high flush!"
"No, no, I have the highest hand! An ace high flush"

Then you look at both, and yeppers! They are both right!

So before a game could be started, you had to establish what happens if 2 players both get the exact same flush. No one wanted to split it, so they started picking suits "in order", strongest to weakest, just like Ace to 10. They choose this over a split pot. Why? Who knows? I think it should be a split pot, but I am not the poker police. The house always has that honor.

This only applies for those instances where both or more have the exact same ranks for the flush hand. so the royal is not the problem; it is the ace high flush. You could more often see two or more players in stud get an ace high flush. So if they all make it with exactly the same ranks of cards, you must resort to suits.

Ad9d7d6d2d beats As8s7s6s2s (9 higher than 8, suit does not matter)

Yet;

As8s7s6s2s beats Ad8d7d6d2d (same exact ranked hands, now you must go to suits to pick a winner) At merge it is (Highest) Spades, Hearts, Clubs, and Diamond (Lowest)

Hope this helps.

Do you have any reference for this or are you just making things up as you go along? Suits, to my knowledge, are never used in ranking hands. The rank of suits is only used, in poker, when comparing the value of a single card (for the bring-in, in a stud game, or determining who gets the button on a new table, etc.).

:as4::8s4::7s4::6s4::2s4: is a tie with :ad4::8d4::7d4::6d4::2d4: and splits the pot

A royal flush, played in a standard game with no wilds, can not lose. It is unique in that sense. There are no hands that can beat it. It does not have to win. If both players have a royal flush, one in spades and one in clubs, they split the pot. The player with clubs doesn't lose to the player with spades.

Edit: From Robert's Rules of Poker:
Suits never break a tie for winning a pot. Suits are used to break a tie between cards of the same rank

Last edited:
vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Also, fun related story (since this thread won't die).

When my GF first started playing poker, she complained about how it was so hard to make a straight with FIVE cards. I told her it wasn't that hard. It wasn't until I had a straight, showed it down, and had her declare that it wasn't a straight because all the suits were different that I realized what was happening. My GF grew up playing rummy. She was convinced that all valid straights had to be straight flushes. :D

No wonder she thought it was so hard to get one. :rolleyes:

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Is this true? Merge wont split the hand...they award it based on suit rankings? Wow...good to know.

No. This is not true. The pot would be split. I have no idea where this idea that flushes of equal ranks then use the suits to determine the winner, but it's not a valid one.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hope this helps.

Lol at this
This is definitely not going to help—It's just wrong

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would also be impossible to have two royal flushes in different suits in texas holdem or omaha. (9 cards in play simply wont do it).

W

WhineyLobster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. This is not true. The pot would be split. I have no idea where this idea that flushes of equal ranks then use the suits to determine the winner, but it's not a valid one.

Haha was about to say.

M

Marsd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The royal flush ranks the highest because it is royal-
it has a king and queen- even a jack-ace to ten-d to them-
plus its pretty

W

WhineyLobster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The royal flush ranks the highest because it is royal-
it has a king and queen- even a jack-ace to ten-d to them-
plus its pretty

Boooo... go puntificate someplace else! :rolleyes:

A

atownshend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read a book that said four of a kind used to be the highest ranking hand, back in the day. The straigt flush was just a flush I think.

J

JaguarJT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't believe this is actually a thread and I wasted time reading it. LOL@ the suits mattering as well

Full Flush Poker