Anyone know the reason why royal flush rank the highest?

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any historical reasons that

Why royal flush nearly ranked highest in most of the poker games?

one more detailed is that
why even in the royal flush, the rank is like this?

Spade Royal flush is the highest , then next one is hearts? diamond? last one is club royal flush?

:D:D:D:D

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you may know, hands increase in rank depedning on how rare it is to have them.

The royal flush is the least common combination for you to hit , so in the rare cases that you have made one it is the most powerful hand u can get. this is like talking to someone from outer space. what kind of a question is that anyways? LOL

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because its the least likely hand in poker, thats why its highest ranked hand.

colours don´t matter in poker (except when we ask "who gets the dealer button" in the beginning)

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wrong subject - it's math, not history.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok the highest rank category should be straight flush and not Royal Flush, because its only a special case of the category straight flush (the highest one).

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ranking of royal flushes makes no difference in Holdem. Whether or not it's spades or clubs doesn't matter because it is only possible to have 1 person to have a royal flush in any Given hand unless the community cards run out a royal flush (which happened at my table once) and since royal flush is the best hand possible you will never need to worry about which royal flush is best. The answer is every royal flush is equally good. Be sure u don't lay down a club royal flush because ur concerned about ur opponent having a spade royal flush... That would be the worst play made in poker history.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The ranking of royal flushes makes no difference in Holdem. Whether or not it's spades or clubs doesn't matter because it is only possible to have 1 person to have a royal flush in any Given hand unless the community cards run out a royal flush (which happened at my table once) and since royal flush is the best hand possible you will never need to worry about which royal flush is best. The answer is every royal flush is equally good. Be sure u don't lay down a club royal flush because ur concerned about ur opponent having a space royal flush... That would be the worst play made in poker history.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D AHAHAHAHAHAH:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you may know, hands increase in rank depedning on how rare it is to have them.

The royal flush is the least common combination for you to hit , so in the rare cases that you have made one it is the most powerful hand u can get. this is like talking to someone from outer space. what kind of a question is that anyways? LOL

Actually I don't agree with that

Example.

Ah Kh Qh, Jh Th is only one combination

but here

Kh Qh Jh, Th, 9h is another "ONLY ONE" combination

___

so the chance/possibility to draw this two are barely the same.

:p:p:p

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually I don't agree with that

Example.

Ah Kh Qh, Jh Th is only one combination

but here

Kh Qh Jh, Th, 9h is another "ONLY ONE" combination

___

so the chance/possibility to draw this two are barely the same.

:p:p:p
SPLITTING HAIRS HERE, ARE WE? :p :p :p

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is one situation where you can lose with a Royal Flush. If you're playing 5-card draw, with the bug, it is possible to have 5 of a kind Aces. This hand would beat the Royal Flush. I've rarely played at any official room where a bug (or wild cards) was in play (only home games), so I've never seen this officially spelled out. But, it's the house rule at any of my family's games.

The only time suits matter is comparing the ranks of individual cards. This is useful when determining who has the button (as mentioned above), or when playing 7-card stud games (since the bring-in is often based on the strength of your door card).

Be sure u don't lay down a club royal flush because ur concerned about ur opponent having a spade royal flush... That would be the worst play made in poker history.

Totally off topic:
This makes me think of a Sklansky quote about errors in poker. He was talking about errors and how costly they could be. He asked the reader to imagine a hypothetical player who would just fold any Royal Flush (even when not facing a bet) as soon as they hit it. As errors go, this is always going to be a huge one. But, as mistakes come, it's not going to be nearly as costly as calling too much pre-flop -- simply because you're going to have a lot more opportunities to mess up pre-flop than mess up playing your Royal Flushes.

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The odds of getting four 2's is the same as getting four A's but then the Aces out rank the 2's numerically. It's the same as in your example. Why is an Ace worth more than a King? Because that's just the way it is. Well, except when you're playing razz, but that's a whole nother thread.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The ranking of royal flushes makes no difference in Holdem. Whether or not it's spades or clubs doesn't matter because it is only possible to have 1 person to have a royal flush in any Given hand unless the community cards run out a royal flush (which happened at my table once) and since royal flush is the best hand possible you will never need to worry about which royal flush is best. The answer is every royal flush is equally good. Be sure u don't lay down a club royal flush because ur concerned about ur opponent having a spade royal flush... That would be the worst play made in poker history.

in holdem they are only one, but other games like....I don't know what other games...like each player dealt 16 cards , who cleared his hands or whatever win this game...

so there do show two royal flush...:p

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah as it's been said above, the royal flush has the least probability from the start of the hand...

Another interesting idea to look at on this similar topic is the flush vs straight. When you look at the %s to get each hand from the very beginning of the hand, it is very close. Also, if there is one card to go, you are actually more likely to hit a flush if you are already holding 4 clubs (9 outs) then you are to hit an open-ended straight draw (8 outs).

By using that reasoning, some people might say that hitting a straight is harder, and should be ranked higher than a flush. However, that is not true, because the rank of hands is determined from the probability of getting the hand from the very beginning of the hand!

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in holdem they are only one, but other games like....I don't know what other games...like each player dealt 16 cards , who cleared his hands or whatever win this game...

so there do show two royal flush...:p

7 card stud also, I've played in a game where two people have had straight flushes in the same hand!

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everybody else was saying it is because it is the hardest hand to get.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question has been answered, but I have the same one effectively presented by Daniel72:

Why is royal flush even listed in hand rankings? A royal flush is just a straight flush. We don't have a special hand for full houses that are aces over kings, for instance.

Yeah, yeah, a royal flush is the very top hand, but still... it's a dang straight flush.

Just hair splitting? OK, then forget it. :)

U

uarejelly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what are the odds of getting one.. anyone got a chance of hands spread sheet

S

spstevens

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is one situation where you can lose with a Royal Flush. If you're playing 5-card draw, with the bug, it is possible to have 5 of a kind Aces. This hand would beat the Royal Flush. I've rarely played at any official room where a bug (or wild cards) was in play (only home games), so I've never seen this officially spelled out. But, it's the house rule at any of my family's games.

That is the way it was played at our job site for years.

I saw a man lose with 5 aces though , we used the bug and played 7 card hi/lo but you had to declare your intent either high , low or hog (both high and low).Low did not need to be eights or better so position was important in the declaration phase.

He had the 4 aces and the bug with 2 other low cards , thought he had a low hand called hog and was forced to play a pair of aces low , if you lost one half you lost it all. That hand haunted him for the next twenty years plus at every game and card conversation we had ,I still remember the raucous laughter at showdown and it still makes me smile.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
what are the odds of getting one.. anyone got a chance of hands spread sheet

Probability of a royal flush in 5-card poker is 0.000154% or 649739 : 1. There are 10 possible straight flush hands including the royal, the odds of hitting any of the other 9 are 72192 : 1. If you wanted to look at the odds of getting any one other specific straight flush, those are the same as the odds of getting the royal flush.

B

beerobrian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everyone else, but what happens in 7-card stud when two hands both have royal flushes. Does one suit rank higher than the other?

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with everyone else, but what happens in 7-card stud when two hands both have royal flushes. Does one suit rank higher than the other?

In this very rare case, it would be a split pot. Just like any other split pot.

The suits are never used to determine hand ranks, only individual card ranks.

Edit: It is uncommon to have split pots in 7-card stud, but it's not impossible.

U

utilizatorus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is absolutely impossible to have at one hand 2 (two) royal flushes because there are only 5 community cards. :) and it is the highest rank because it is the rarest too. you can hit it only once in 5 years or maybe never. the best odds to hit it faster are at the omaha game. and it doesn't matter if it's of clubs, spades, hearts or diamonds, i've never heard of such thing.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Somewhere the history of poker includes what unique combos became actual poker hands. Straights, flushes, etc. There are variations to the standard hand rankings. Skip straights for some reason caught my attention. A skip straight is 2 4 6 8 T or 5 7 9 J K. At one point, before the game became formalized, these were occasionally played. I seem to remember a skip str8 ranked above 2 pair, but below trips.

But really, any combo could have been declared as the ultimate hand. The guy who wrote the rules happened to have figured out the mathematical probabilities and based the hand rankings on that rather than some arbitrary system based on kids rules.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A skip straight is 2 4 6 8 T or 5 7 9 J K.

Wow, that sure would make NLHE a headache!

Skip straights: guaranteeing that virtually every flop is wet! :)

Thanks for the info, BTW. I had never heard of that before.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've never heard of skip-straights before.

My family used to play five card stud, and we played it "Canadian." It was the only game where you could play a four-card straight or flush. They beat a single pair (or no pair) but lost to everything else. The four-card flush beat the four-card straight.

Full Flush Poker