8$ Into 10,000$ - Challenge

C

chispa73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it up kowboy. Forget about goals...sit down and just concentrate on making money. The goal will follow.

B

Brian182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those looking to challenge themselves in a similar way, I just want people to know that I'm thinking of trying the same thing, but with limit games. With limit games, you'll see less variance, and multitabling is easier because the decisions you make aren't as crucial (they won't make or break you). However, less risk means less reward. I wouldn't be climbing up in stakes nearly as fast as NL, and I really do have to be a patient grinder. Just thought I'd let people know. I think this is a safer way to build up a bankroll from nothing. I plan on still playing freerolls to build it up from scratch. Ever since I quit depositing my own money because I'd tilt and the stress wasn't worth it, I've been more excited about the challenge of building something from nothing than the money itself. What Kowboy is doing takes a lot of discipline, a level that most people don't have. Limit is all about the math, while NL is about discipline, reading opponents, knowing when to fold, and yes, the math too. I'm only mentioning this because some people have been inspired to do what Kowboy is doing, so I'm just offering an alternative way to grind up a bankroll. I'm a heavy tilter, and I know many people are too, and if you know that you are, I'd recommend trying limit games before jumping to NL. In no way shape or form am I saying that Kowboy should've done limit rather than NL. This is more of another idea for the audience.

B

Brian182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it up kowboy. Forget about goals...sit down and just concentrate on making money. The goal will follow.

I disagree with this, mainly because it makes no sense. Setting up goals is a way to measure success or failure. Yes, from the looks of it and from the majority opinion, kowboy will fail to make it to 10k in two months, although I am still rooting for him. This is not to say he's a failure, far from it actually, but that he's probably going to fail in his goal. Yes, it was an overly ambitious goal, and yes the odds were against him, and he knew that from the get go, but rarely do we succeed in something great before failing a couple of times. Setting such an ambitious goal probably also makes him a better player at the tables. It's easy to set goals so low, and achieve them, or forget about them, or not take them as seriously because you have so much flexibility in succeeding at it later, e.g. turn $10 into $100 in 10 years. But no, you don't set goals later, you set them prior. You have to have a plan, you have to know where you want to be. Anybody can make money. I don't think this is about "the money" for Kowboy. Yes, money won is needed to achieve his goal, but I think it's more about the discipline, heart, determination, and skill he has and proving to us and himself that even a non-professional can accomplish such a goal. Also, keep in mind, we all already mentioned variance in poker, and the fact is, let's say he gets to $8k in two months, or $10k in 3 months, although he might have failed his actual challenege based upon the parameters, he still didn't fail to illustrate his point. With those kind of numbers, it's easy to see that with a little luck/variance, one can make 10k in two months (as a non-pro).

aLoser4evR

aLoser4evR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your goals a little, ok extremely, high. Odds are against you and playing penny tables are gonna make it even harder.

Good luck ... I'll check your up dates .. could you list your total beginning and ending bank with each post?

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone interested in this thread may also want to check out Daniel Negreanu's blog, or google his $10 challenge. He is doing something similar to Chris Ferguson except he is starting with $10 and trying to make $100,000.

C

chefjimmy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
back in the saddle kowboy

good to see you back at it.just stay the course,you have my support.

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DAy 17,18 and 19

I have been doing schoolwork a lot as class intensifies but I did get some random freerolls and what not in before having a losing session. I will have all day to play tomorrow and Friday though and hopefully that will pay dividends. I plan on logging at least 1.7k hands in the next couple days to unlock the next promotion for me which is 30$ which will put me way on the way to the next promotion. I'm determined not to let anything else that's going on in my life to affect my poker play and will be secluded in a room talking to no one the next couple of days only coming out for eats and drinks. I should be much closer to the next level the next time I blog so look for that. Until then, good luck and good night.

2lthudg.jpg

S

SnGTurbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've managed to bump my BR up to 146$. I won first in a 5$ 90 man sit n go.

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 20, 21, 22 Blog

Sorry for the lateness of the blog. Again I was out late last night watching a movie on the big screen with some friends. I got a lot of poker in which was nice in these three days overall and I'm looking forward to get some more in before my next blog for tomorrow. I played about 6 - 8 hour in all and logged close to 2,000 - 2,500 hands. In that time I unlocked another promotion for 30$ and am once again close to attaining the next level. Hopefully, it goes better this time then last time if you know what I mean. The site is changing it's comp/VIP system and thus everything will be brand new and all my pre-existing points will count for nothing. The good news is the new system will have cash rewards and a new freeroll system. Sunday afternoon I will be playing in the last 50k freeroll for this system that the site will offer and hopefully it will be a valuable experience for me (cha-ching). In the end the 20$ I am up from poker and the 30$ I am up from the promotion jumped me up to a 100$ bankroll and I need 125$ to get to the next level.

2lchtd.jpg

D

dillingerdis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This run so far is still better than a lot of people. Keep it coming!

C

chefjimmy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stay the path

hopefully your morally feeling better,this should give you a boost..just stay on track.

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DAy 23 - End of the Week Blog

Good week overall I got to say. I ended up moving up a level and getting a decent amount of play in. I didn't make an insane amount compared to my level nor did I really take any big hits so I am grateful for my luck at the moment. Other then the big 50k sunday freeroll I stuck specifically to .05/.10 NLHE Short-Handed ring games which proved more profitable to me then full ring. During the week I made 72.07$ which is the equivalent of 720.7 big blinds at my level. Next week I will pay more attention to the amount of time I am playing and then give you a BB per hour ratio. I will also do some calculation and give you my estimated time of arrival for my goal with pics of course and a cool graph. Nothing hits the spot like a cool graph. I also plan on starting my play in the PLO tables and see how I fair there. I already plan fish to be there as it is the lowest level omaha tables they have. I will also update you on how the new Reefer Poker rewards program works when it is up and available starting April 1st. Until then good luck and good night.

o9k29i.jpg

S

SnGTurbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep kicking ass! I f'ed up. I played over my limit. I made it to 250$ then tilted myself all the way back down to 40$. I managed to make it back up to 45. I'm a prime example of bad bankroll management.

BDDP

BDDP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the funnest read on the blogs yet IMO. I just saw it for the first time and read the whole thing... I'm all caught up now and waiting patiently for more. You still have a little less than $9900 to go in a little over half the time but as your levels go up so should your gains... I can't wait for the next installment. I think it can be done and you are on the way. Remember that all those who are busy saying it can't be done are never going to be the ones doing it!!!

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Day 23 Blog - Part 2

Stats - These are for next week

Start of the Week Bankroll: 55.28$
Current Level: .05 / .10 NL HE
Bankroll Required to go up a level: 125$
Bankroll Required to go down a level: 25$
Current Buy-In per table: 2.50$ (At each level I start with the minimum and as my BR goes up my buy-in can go up though I tend to keep it low)
Days Into Challenge: 16
Last Date of Challenge: July 6th, 2009

End of the Week Bankroll: 127.04$
Current Level: .10 / .25 NLHE .10 / .25 PLO
Bankroll Required to go up a level: 250$
Bankroll Required to go down a level: 50$
Current Buy-In per table: 6.25$ (I like starting with 25 Buyins and working my way up)
Days Into Challenge: 23
Last Date of Challenge: July 6th, 2009

------------
Q & A Thread

No one asked me any questions :(

------------
Poker Lesson of the Day- Adjusting Your Opening Bet to your Style

This is a lesson that everyone should use and is something I know I've had in my game for quite a while but perhaps some of the beginning players have not yet thought about and that is what your opening bet is. For the sake of definition the opening bet is the first bet made above the BB in any round of poker. The question is how much to make it? For beginning players who have not yet adjusted to the game the opening bet should be large to protect your hand as much as possible and minimize the risk of having to read your opponents hand. For more advanced players the bet should go down to increase the action you will get per hand and thus the amount of money you will make over time. For each his own but it shouldn't be any more then 5x BB and no less then 2.5x BB (BB = Big Blind). My style is simple for an opening bet with any playable hand I open for 3x the BB + 1BB per caller before me. Maybe you can use this as a simple staple for your style of play.

----------
Poker Hand of the Week
To commemorate me moving up a level I wanted to show the biggest pot yet that I have won. It really isn't that great of a hand but I liked it since I have been at this level for much longer then I wanted. This is your straightforward cooler that everyone hates and love when they get it.

Starting Hand #17994237-1487
CowboySquirrel1987 is the Dealer
Shuffling Cards
Username777777 Posted Small Blind $0.05
danptk Posted Big Blind $0.10
Dealing Cards
You Were Dealt (Ad, Ac)
GZZZZZ Folds
Jigsaw56 Folds
CowboySquirrel1987 Raised to $0.30
Username777777 Calls $0.25
danptk Raised to $0.80
CowboySquirrel1987 Raised to $2.80
Username777777 Folds
danptk Raised to $6.80
CowboySquirrel1987 All In
danptk Calls $1.73
CowboySquirrel1987 Shows (Ad, Ac)
danptk Shows (Ks, Kh)
Dealing Flop (As,5d,7h)
Dealing Turn (5h)
Dealing River (Jc)
CowboySquirrel1987 Wins $16.50 from Pot 1 with : Full House - Aces over Fives

PokerPrincess87

PokerPrincess87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Question:
Hey. How Are Ya? How Ya Doing? lol

Poker:
Keep up the good work.

C

carrnage

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been trying to make 20 buck into 10g's for years. It hasnt worked yet but I am getting closer:)

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Site Down

I didn't want to blog on April Fools because I didn't want to be apart of April Fools so I stayed off the web. Unfortunately, got back on to play pokre and the site has been down now for an extended period of time. It is a bit unsettling but if the site is down for a day or more I will add that to the end of the challenge period as extra time.

pokertoi

pokertoi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish you all the luck in the world, sounds like you have a good strategy, i would love to know if you accomplish your goal, keep us imformed.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Luck!!

This is a very difficult task you've set up for yourself. I really hope you make it.

I started out on FTP with $0.00 and have raised it to over $250.00 at it's peak.
(Granted it's been about 3 years of playing but with their money)

Right now I'm just shy of $200.00.

Again good luck

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This isn't even remotely possible unless you can put in 15+ hrs a day and/or run real good at the start so you can play some decent stakes. Also 500BB (even if this =1000bb) is absolutely terrible BR management if you are playing full stacked (even if you aren't). Why not try something realistic like making $10000 in 5-10 months or so and follow good roll management so you don't go busto after your first decent downswing? It gives you time to balance your skill level with the stakes you are playing, and it is completely doable, whereas $8 to $10000 in 2 months is never happening.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck to you as it is a great goal.

Rafeeki1087

Rafeeki1087

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a great read, and I will deff keep track of this. I wish I could do this for sure.

C

chefjimmy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
keep up the good work!

your an inspirationto all of us no matter how it turns out,your doing great!

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just got done reading all of this at once.I like the idea win lose or draw.Every one needs a challenge , a goal is what makes life worth living.