8$ Into 10,000$ - Challenge

C

chefjimmy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dude take a break...but not that huge...you fighting a good fight..davey v goliath..get back in there..switch games if necessary..i doubt ya too...but i,m railing for ya...get in there n fight!

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Kowboy,

I'm sure you will come back stronger than ever.It doesnt hurt to have big goals.I hope you complete your challange even if the timeframe was off.GL to you.

PokerPrincess87

PokerPrincess87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A day or so break would prob be good for you. Normally, you play pretty well after a break. Keep your head up and stay strong.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all have bad days and runs that are so frigging horrendous they leave us believing that we must truly be the unluckiest player in the world. Been there, done that. The point is - whether we want to believe it or not - we've all been there, done that, all of us. It will get better! It will!

S

SnGTurbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm hangin in there! I hope kowboys can! I can't wait to get home to play some more!

TheseNutsWin

TheseNutsWin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That pretty much says it all. I'm torn and I'm battered and I'm bruised. If I am a really bad player then so be it. If I am the unluckiest player in the world then so be it. In any case my will power is fading fast and thus I have deemed it necessary to take teh next couple of days off (Like 3 or 4) before I even play poker again let along this challenge. I can't remember the last time I saw so many sick cards layed down. If anything changes in the next couple of days I will let you know but most likely I won't be playing at all and won't be blogging. To all the naysayers you were right about this. At first I thought it was highly unlikely but now I think it is just plain impossible. Before I take my hiatus I will answer a few questions that have been asked and I will be checking this thread and updating when I get back. I do not plan on just leaving the challenge altogether. I just need a break. I hope you all understand.

This is also why I said you will not make it.. The variance is a bitch. People think they can make 10k out of 50 in such a short time... All of those who claim they made $3000 in one day out of a 50$ deposit must be either smoking something or they must have hit the LUCKY WAVE.. I read this article on POKERNEWS.cOM few weeks back. Guy wrote it about how he made $3000 from $10 in 1 DAY in 8 hours jumping from one level to another one quickly doubleing up. I mean come on.. I play a lot online and although AA, KK and QQ get's cracked rarely if you going all in preflop against 1 or 2 people IT DOES happen and when you loose pot like that half of your money is gone.. They are going to tell me that they kept doubleing up without loosing a hand? they either lying or something...

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is also why I said you will not make it.. The variance is a bitch. People think they can make 10k out of 50 in such a short time... All of those who claim they made $3000 in one day out of a 50$ deposit must be either smoking something or they must have hit the LUCKY WAVE.. I read this article on POKERNEWS.cOM few weeks back. Guy wrote it about how he made $3000 from $10 in 1 DAY in 8 hours jumping from one level to another one quickly doubleing up. I mean come on.. I play a lot online and although AA, KK and QQ get's cracked rarely if you going all in preflop against 1 or 2 people IT DOES happen and when you loose pot like that half of your money is gone.. They are going to tell me that they kept doubleing up without loosing a hand? they either lying or something...

I actually did do this, but I did'nt make it from say $50 I made it from a $2 in a free roll on Party, and then it took like another 10 hours straight to get to $3500 (Jumping from level to level:D), and then 1 bad beat took it all away from me in one hand:(. Yet I've never hit an up swing like that again:(

S

SnGTurbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like I said, I did 50$ to 2500 in 2 days. I was extremely lucky.

I wouldn't ever tempt fate like that again.

Last edited:
D

diemos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good idea to take few days off, clear your head and try again, at least until you lose it all :)

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still not hating on you Kowboy. But when you started this you did realize that there would be at least one or two downswings in a 2 month period (even if only miniscule downsings). What you are going through now was going to happen. It's not because you are a bad player or an unlucky player, it just happens to everyone. Thats why what you set out to do was extremely unlikely to do in 2 months.

Maybe you should consider extending the timeframe for the challenge to 6 or so months. It would not be as spectacular but would still be an incredibly amazing feat (and still extremely difficult). I believe if you are a winning player you can turn your $8 into $10,000, it will just take longer than 2 months.

Don't be discouraged, keep with it, just please consider extending the timeframe. My concern is if you don't, you may begin to play out of your bankroll, you may begin to play while on tilt and then lose what good progress you have made.

S

SnGTurbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is true diamond. He took his first downswing pretty hard and we haven't heard from him since.

Kowboys, can you handle the emotional aspects of the game? Putting that much of your life into poker isn't easy on you mentally. It's not as easy as putting on a pair of pants in the morning.

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to let everyone know. I am playing today and will blog about it at the end of the day. After I went to my dance class friday night I pretty much didn't get home til Sunday morning around 2 or 3. I was just living life like I should am ready to play some more. Thanx for all the input.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't have time to have a life to complete this challenge.

Last edited:
blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gl man, get back on that horse

popo12

popo12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is possible if you move from 1/2 cent no limit tables to the 10/20...or 25/50 cent tables after one week...and play to win..you'd probably have to go to the next larger table week by week...and never lose an all in...It's an admirable challenge..GL

TheUndertaker

TheUndertaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been trying a similar challenge $0-$10,000 for about 3months now and I have not had any success I made it up to $56 and I lost $40 I only have $16 and I am not getting anyway.Good luck in your challenge I hope go all the way in the 2months.

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 16 Blog

I got back into the fray today. In a very slow way though. I didn't play that much as I was just easing back into it. Taking notes of some small details as I went. The only session of note was a 2 hour night session that went alright I suppose. Other then that I played a couple freerolls and lost. Fun times I guess.
Other then that a couple things will be changing for this challenge. First of all I am going to extend the challenge period to 4 months. I realize that that 2 months is close to impossible unelss you are playing out of your range or carry a significant luck boost. I don't know how much I will change the time I play per day but it will be significantly lower. I will not be blogging everyday like I did at the very beginning. Instead I will be bloggin on scheduled days. This is to devote more time to poker and less time to blogging. The blogs will contain more detail about my ongoings and more information. The scheduled days will be Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday. Sunday will be my start of the week for arguments sake and will contain general information about the general scheme of things. I will continue to play the way I have been. Hopefully, playing less will allow me to focus more when I do. Other then that the rules stay the same. When I feel comfortable I will do a video and see how everyone likes it.

Start of the Week Bankroll: 55.28$
Current Level: .05 / .10 NL HE
Bankroll Required to go up a level: 125$
Bankroll Requried to go down a level: 25$
Current Buy-In per table: 2.50$ (At each level I start with the minimum and as my BR goes up my buy-in can go up though I tend to keep it low)
Days Into Challenge: 16
Last Date of Challenge: July 6th, 2009

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 16 Blog Part 2

2ymyfi8.jpg

Day 16 Q & A

Q: Are you playing max buy-in or SSS?
A: My last blog hopefully answers that question sufficiently. It is a bit complicated the way I do it.

Q: Why don't you move up in stakes faster?
A: The point of this is to practice bankroll management. I will almost certainly go broke if I try to go up in limits faster.

Q: Can I handle the emotional aspects of the game?
A: Yes and no. I think a problem I am encountering is that I have played for far more money before and thus since I know I can jump on a higher table elsewhere if I wanted trying to maintain focus is a problem and I know it which makes it frustrating. Hopefully, spacing out my play helps me even more in this area.

Poker Lesson of the Day​
- Quiting when your in danger of tilting​

This one will be brief. Sometimes, even though you really want to continue, you just have to quit. This could be due to some emotional aspect of the game. You getting frustrated over your progress or some extra-ciricular you are maintaining. Always it comes down to your state of mind. Is your state of mind strong enough to 1. Keep from tilting and more importantly 2. If and when you are in danger of tilting are you strong enough to quit.

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow this is a good read! might be even better than boku87 if you ever crack this one! hope you recover soon from a big downswing and get your game back again! good luck!!!

B

Brian182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, sounds really exciting! By the way I read your post, getting to 10k shouldn't be a problem. The only problem is getting it done in two months. I'm definitely adding you to my friends list!

S

SnGTurbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm aiming for the same challenge, just not in two months. Follow my blog if you want to watch my progress!

P

pokerthejokersmoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good one cowboy,

Nice to hear your working on the psychological aspect of the game. A good question to ponder is what constitutes a proper poker mood. Getting angry and cussing your cards could mean making a wrong decision. Fold'em or hold'em. Just fold your crap cards. Wait it out.