62.5 KB · Views: 52
dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice graph, dsvw. Keep up the good work!

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Update :

47495 hands Played
$343.67 Total Won
9.42PTBB/100 Overall Winrate
Current Level : 10NL

Attachments

• Total.jpg
    Total.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 51
skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice trend, and excellent win rate. Keep up the good work! You'll soon be rolled for 25nl.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, time for a little write up.

The two month mark on the challenge is closing in fast and look what I've accomplished already. My bankroll is now almost 9x what it was when I started, and I've only played <50k hands. I'm now starting to make some decent money (~$6/hour@10nl) and I'll be making the next jump up within the next 10 days hopefully.

My end goal when starting this challenge was to hopefully inspire some people who may be struggling. (Well that, and prove how awesome I am, ldo) Poker is a tough hobby/job/lifestyle or whatever it may be for you. But the end rewards can be pretty sweet. It doesn't take much to become a successful poker player. You don't have to be a genius, or some kind of prodigy, or genetically gifted. You just have to be willing to put in the time and effort.

In less than 2 months and a reasonable number of hands, I've turned a small $50 deposit in to a decent sized bankroll. There have obv. been some ups and downs so far, as is to be expected. In my 50k hands, I've already had two different ~10k hand break even stretches and each time I moved up to a new limit I was met with a nasty little downswing. It's not always fun (on more than one occasion I wanted to kill myself for even thinking of doing this) and it's never easy, but good things will happen if you work at it.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once again, good job! Are you planning on making a video at the micros? I know the videos help me more than anything as it's easier to watch certain situations take place rather than read through a bunch of HH's.

I feel like I'm playing better poker now than I ever have, but I'm stuck and can't get out of the rut I'm in. I've got money on three sites (UB, Walker, and Stars) but I can't seem to get them over the $50 hump. Seems I always have a horrible session and drop back down.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once again, good job! Are you planning on making a video at the micros? I know the videos help me more than anything as it's easier to watch certain situations take place rather than read through a bunch of HH's.

I feel like I'm playing better poker now than I ever have, but I'm stuck and can't get out of the rut I'm in. I've got money on three sites (UB, Walker, and Stars) but I can't seem to get them over the $50 hump. Seems I always have a horrible session and drop back down.

I've been thinking about the whole video thing and I think what I'm going to do is after the whole challenge is done, go back through my hands and use the replayer to make some videos that illustrate key concepts at each of the levels.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That would be cool! It would cut out all the useless folding.

D

dannyboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thers nothing better then having 50 dollars in your bankroll account one day then a couple months later having a couple thousand. it is such a good thing to do and hopefully one day i can do it becuase i no it can be done. thanks for the encouragement and good luck

gotalljax

gotalljax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Thread - Inspiring - and Great work.

I like the personal challenge idea and will be cheering your progress. Good luck to 10K.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sick graph and winrate.

Nice work dv keep it up!

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great job dv.....fun to watch. Keep it up we are all pulling for you!

U

UFCcantstopme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow

Well, you have got some progress so far, but making over $10,000 seems extremely challenging. It will take a long long time i'd have to say. It will take you a very long time if you are only playing 5$ tournaments. Then again, those will be easier to win than the 60$ ones, since very well round game players are in the more expensive tournaments. Good luck of achieving your goal.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great challenge and I wish you every success. I would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind, to do with your thoughts mainly from what I have observed from your graphs. Your answers might give some of us a better idea of how to approach and deal with the many hurdles we might face during a sustained run at the tables, thanks.

During Feb you played 12k hands at $5NL, and the first 10K hands were more or less break even. What advice would you give to the frustrated novice/learning player who perhaps wonders if he/she will ever get over that "start to make a profit" hurdle keeping in mind that perhaps 10K hands might be quite a decent amount of hands for them to have played up to this point. Also, what thoughts were going through your mind at the time.

By the start of March you were 12K hands in, and about $33 in profit. During the first 8 days of March you generated a very nice 14 buy-in profit of about $70 over 9K hands. Do you feel that you needed those first 10K-12K hands at the beginning of your challenge to get your eye-in so to speak, and become adequately accustomed to the level of play.

By mid March you were 5 weeks into your challenge with about 35K hands under your belt. You had a brief stab at $10NL but moved back down to $5NL because you are using stringent BRM. You then started playing $10NL in earnest 6 weeks into your challenge with about 42K hands under your belt. Similar to the first question, what advice would you give to the newish player regarding the frustrations of trying to move up a level. Also, what were your own thoughts, say, 40K hands and 6 weeks into your challenge and still having to play at $5NL.

Thanks in advance.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During Feb you played 12k hands at $5NL, and the first 10K hands were more or less break even. What advice would you give to the frustrated novice/learning player who perhaps wonders if he/she will ever get over that "start to make a profit" hurdle keeping in mind that perhaps 10K hands might be quite a decent amount of hands for them to have played up to this point. Also, what thoughts were going through your mind at the time.

Actually, February was entirely 2NL. These were the first hands of poker I played in like 3+months so obviously I was a little rusty. I'm pretty sure I was still winning, but obviously not playing as good as I'm capable of. Ummm . . . I guess the best advice I could give is to not assume you're just running bad if you don't feel like you're winning as much as you should be. Sure that may be part of the reason, but there's always room for improvement.

By the start of March you were 12K hands in, and about $33 in profit. During the first 8 days of March you generated a very nice 14 buy-in profit of about $70 over 9K hands. Do you feel that you needed those first 10K-12K hands at the beginning of your challenge to get your eye-in so to speak, and become adequately accustomed to the level of play.

Yeah, those first 10k hands or so were a bit of an adjustment period. It's been quite a while since I've played below 50nl and I had sorta forgotten just how to go about beating dreadfully awful players.

By mid March you were 5 weeks into your challenge with about 35K hands under your belt. You had a brief stab at $10NL but moved back down to $5NL because you are using stringent BRM. You then started playing $10NL in earnest 6 weeks into your challenge with about 42K hands under your belt. Similar to the first question, what advice would you give to the newish player regarding the frustrations of trying to move up a level. Also, what were your own thoughts, say, 40K hands and 6 weeks into your challenge and still having to play at $5NL.

I guess, just stick to your BR plan and don't be afraid to take shots when you have the BR for it. You're never going to improve if you don't move up. Sure it's pretty awful when you run bad at a higher limit and wipe out like a weeks worth of work in about 2000 hands. That first shot at 10NL was probably the toughest part of the challenge so far just because of how quickly I got wiped out and there was basically nothing I could do about it since every stack I lost was 100% a cooler. (And let's face it, KK<AA AIPF 3 times in that short of time is getting a bit ridiculous) Once I got over the initial frustration of running ridiculously bad, it wasn't too bad.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been struggling a bit lately. Getting owned by fish in NSD pots. Crossed the 50k hand mark since the start and the 40k hand mark on the month.

Attachments

• Total.jpg
    Total.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 53
eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still a nice month dv, don't worry, just a small rough patch, you'll get through it and rise to the stars !

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. If/when others can benefit from your own experiences and thoughts it's always a good thing. Personally, I am a big fan of people testing themselves and perhaps striving to push boundaries ( all within reason of course ) so from that point of view, fair play to you and I ( and others obviously ) wish you every continued success in your quest. I enjoyed following Comb's journey and success during his project and will no doubt enjoy following yours, best of luck.

U

unlucky79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im up 6k from 10 bucks on the year. Im a cash player so it can be done. Best of luck man!!!!

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im up 6k from 10 bucks on the year. Im a cash player so it can be done. Best of luck man!!!!

WTF:confused: How?

Let me understand. You started January 1st this year with $10 and you are over $6,000 so far, is this correct?

How?

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At a fast glance, and I could be wrong, but from your recent graph it looks like you're either
A. playing a wild and crazy style
or
B. playing at a limit you shouldn't be
or
C. (which is my best guess) might just because you're playing a MASSIVE amount of hands

Nonetheless, it looks like you're doing fairly well. Keep up the good work. :)

vtriclone

vtriclone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty nice, keep up the good work.. i made my 50 up to 700'ish then lost it all. trying to build it up again,,, keep on grinding.....

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well good luck on your venture. peace :)