What do you do when you have KK preflop...and you know you are beat

KidFlopadelic

KidFlopadelic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how deep I am in the $ and my stack size, sometimes I can afford to fold a monster preflop if I know a rock has me beat...
but if ur M is under 20, u just gotta go with it IMO

lotsa things to think about when ur approaching the FT $

ugotkicked

ugotkicked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KNOW YOUR BEAT?

KK preflop and know your beat? How do you know your beat?
There is No Knowing,unless his or her cards are revealed.Then you KNOW.

BUT>>>

If want gamble for whats in the pot and also his stack.
PUSH EM IN. Who "KNOWS" Maybe they roll over QUEENS.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Until you let it go the first time, you will never be able to overcome the inherent greed that the big pairs engender. Sounds flip, I know, but you might be letting too much ego make your decisions for you.

I dropped AJ, AQ, AND AK in position last night because I knew I was beat PF, and it wasn't worth the damage that might happen for me to pursue any of these hands at that time.

Those were not your big pairs, granted, but I use those examples as a reference because I wasn't getting any pair last night other than 3 times 88.

You have to learn that they are just cards. Just CARDS! That and sometimes poker is about things that the odds just don't quite cover, even tho the odds at that instant might be in your favor.

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow.......

Until you let it go the first time, you will never be able to overcome the inherent greed that the big pairs engender. Sounds flip, I know, but you might be letting too much ego make your decisions for you.

I dropped AJ, AQ, AND AK in position last night because I knew I was beat PF, and it wasn't worth the damage that might happen for me to pursue any of these hands at that time.

Those were not your big pairs, granted, but I use those examples as a reference because I wasn't getting any pair last night other than 3 times 88.

You have to learn that they are just cards. Just CARDS! That and sometimes poker is about things that the odds just don't quite cover, even tho the odds at that instant might be in your favor.
:dito: that was GOOD, deej! Imma remember what you said here, and when I know I'm beat, imma fold! I've lost SEVERAL hands 'cuz a' my ego, and just because of loosing that ONE hand, I wound up not making it ITM! Tanx, Man!:smile:

A

ajight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I say stay in. Just don't re-raise after the other player does, just call. He'll think that either, you're limping in, or that you are unsure of your hand. The flop should determine what you do with your cards. If a straight draw, or a flush draw comes on the table, raise the pot. Assuming the player plays tight, he would usually cut his losses.

Still seeing the flop with that great a hand is always a good idea, no matter how much the pre-flop raise is (unless it's 50% of your remaining chips or more). Pre-flop everyone may have a certain percentage of leverage over each other, but it still comes down to luck, and who knows, you might hit a set, while the other player is stuck with just pocket rockets.

Rememberthis1

Rememberthis1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it hard to lay down KK preflop, a few days ago I picked up KK on the big blind, Sascha Biorac was on my right and he raised, and I re-raised, he went all in for like 7000 chips, seemed like he had Aces but he flipped over AK and I got mah t-shirt.

L

lewis010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have never fold kk preflop and i think i couldnt do that.... its the 2nd best preflop hand and only aa beat these combination ( before seeing the flop of course) however if you have the feeling that your opponent have aa and if he is a very tight player just think a bit and in the case you think he has aa just fold.... its difficult but its your decision

S

slypnslyde

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look, I'm fairly new to poker, and know I dont know squat, but it seems to me that until you see his cards, you never KNOW you're beat. Call him PF and then play it out. He may even have AA pre, but flopping AKK would cost him everything...and I HAVE seen it...in a very real sense, even though the odds can be against you PF, all hands are 50/50 before the flop to some extent, arent they? So play the pot odds and call.

neilzelkin

neilzelkin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold

As Kenny Rogers said in the gambler, "You got to know when to fold em', know when to hold em." I figure chips thrown not thrown into the abyss is the same a chips won.

A

azbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say stay in. Just don't re-raise after the other player does, just call. He'll think that either, you're limping in, or that you are unsure of your hand. The flop should determine what you do with your cards. If a straight draw, or a flush draw comes on the table, raise the pot. Assuming the player plays tight, he would usually cut his losses.

Still seeing the flop with that great a hand is always a good idea, no matter how much the pre-flop raise is (unless it's 50% of your remaining chips or more). Pre-flop everyone may have a certain percentage of leverage over each other, but it still comes down to luck, and who knows, you might hit a set, while the other player is stuck with just pocket rockets.
If the guy actually had AA it's likely he'll slow down a little once you're heads up preflop since he wants as much action as you'll give and he doesn't want to let you get away. If he raises 50% of your chips he actually probably doesn't have aces.

G

Gabaik

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand Number 1356142563
Start Date 2008-09-06 21:59:49
End Date 2008-09-06 22:00:36 Pot Size $3 235,00 Rake $0,00 Game
Type Hold'Em Play Mode Real Table Name $100K PTS Qualifier III Structure NL Community
Cards J
diamonds.bmp
K
diamonds.bmp
clubs.bmp
J
hearts.bmp
K
hearts.bmp

Player Information
Amount tkids 3 $2 225,00/$2 225,00 $0,00 $0,00
Crissy 4 K
spades.bmp
K
clubs.bmp
$1 505,00/$3 235,00 $1 505,00 $1 730,00
MCFLASHFLOOD 5 J
spades.bmp
J
clubs.bmp
$3 010,00/$1 505,00 $1 505,00 $-1 505,00
R0cket P0ckets 6 $765,00/$765,00 $0,00 $0,00
MMDGOLD 8 $3 055,00/$2 980,00 $75,00 $-75,00
JohnnGun 9 $4 440,00/$4 290,00 $150,00 $-150,00

Hand Actions

Player Action Action Data Timestamp
R0cket P0ckets Set dealer/Bring in spot 6
MMDGOLD Ante/Small blind $ 75.00
JohnnGun Big blind/Bring in $ 150.00
tkids Card dealt to a spot
Crissy Card dealt to a spot K
spades.bmp
K
clubs.bmp

MCFLASHFLOOD Card dealt to a spot J
spades.bmp
J
clubs.bmp

R0cket P0ckets Card dealt to a spot
JohnnGun Card dealt to a spot
tkids Fold $ 0.00
Crissy Raise $ 300.00 21:59:56
MCFLASHFLOOD Call $ 300.00
R0cket P0ckets Fold $ 0.00
MMDGOLD Fold $ 75.00
JohnnGun Fold $ 150.00
Betting round completed Last active pot = $825.00 22:00:21

Card dealt to table J
diamonds.bmp
K
diamonds.bmp

clubs.bmp

22:00:21 R0cket P0ckets Auto fold false 22:00:24
Crissy Bet $ 150.00 22:00:25
MCFLASHFLOOD All-in $ 2,710.00 22:00:28
Crissy All-in $ 1,055.00 22:00:30
MCFLASHFLOOD Return uncalled portion of bet $ 1,505.00 22:00:30

Side pot 4 = $3,235.00 22:00:32 TURN: Card dealt to table J
hearts.bmp
22:00:32

Side pot 4 = $3,235.00 22:00:34 RIVER: Card dealt to table K
hearts.bmp
22:00:34

Side pot 4 = $3,235.00 22:00:36
Crissy Showdown Show card: Four of a Kind K
clubs.bmp
K
spades.bmp
K
hearts.bmp
K
diamonds.bmp
J
hearts.bmp
22:00:36
MCFLASHFLOOD Showdown Show card: Four of a Kind J
clubs.bmp
J
spades.bmp
J
hearts.bmp
J
diamonds.bmp
K
hearts.bmp
22:00:36 Crissy Hand result $ 3,235.00 22:00:36

So this is happend whit me... I like bodog, because that was a very lucky call... i dont go all in preflop, i call all in in the Flop and after in the turn i lost but in the river i was so lucky....

Last edited:
X

xXShannonAXx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wouldnt fold kk preflop either qq not folding it preflop either but lower then that id at least start thinking about it ive folded qq at a live event once b4 when there was 4 people where all in the pot it was good fold in the end even though i hit trips i would of got rivered by the straight

J

JiuJitsuBraz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not folding it. IF I'm 100% sure, then ofcourse. But most times tha not, he'll have QQ, Ace-King suited, etc. In the long run, it's not worth folding imho.

Harthgrepa

Harthgrepa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to fold KK but if you are sure he has AA, it is probably best to fold. Personally I'd like to see the flop before folding.

~H

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not fold KK pf. Even if he has AA (which how do you know).....seen lots of ai re raises with AK QQ, JJ......nope not gonna do it. You are a 4-1 dog against AA.....I'm just not sure even if he showed me AA I would fold.

M

mozart5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually i would never fold KK pre flop, but today i had a bad feeling. i raised 4X, mid pos player called and player on my right raised me the pot. i folded. he had AA and the other player had QQ. AA won the hand. i still didn't make the money but i got close. i may find it easier to fold in the future. this was close to the money also. if it had been early i probably would have called and lost.

J

JesterGT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the game, I would try to see a flop and depending on the player, I'd toss them after the flop. For example, I raise preflop, tighty reraises me. I think he's got AA or AK. If he raises me again on the flop, I'd probably lay it down.

W

wasda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I can fold KK Pre-flop.'I never fold KK pre-flop, and when the odd occasion comes up that my opppnent has AA, I'll just flop a King anyway' - Gus Hansen.

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just depends on the stack size to me and how deep into the money we are...at some point to make a big cash you are gonna have to gamble and allow the element of luck to play its roll...too many times i stay tight once the tournie is ITM and i dont maximize my profit potential cuz im waiting for elite hands which never come around...

stay hard keep jammin and ill see ya

1pwn00b5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had this happen many times late in tournaments when i pick up KK and get into a raising war with a really tight player, knowing he's got me beat but not being able to let it go. I always tell myself that he would make the same play with QQ but it its never the case. So my question to you guys is, Can you really fold KK preflop? or must you just call and see the bad news and curse your luck?

Gotta fold if you're beat. If you're in a "raising war" with a really tight player, maybe try just calling instead of re-raising him. If you're sure he has AA, maybe a scary flop (10, J, Q all same suit for example) might get this tight player off his AA. Or you could hit your K.. and you can see the flop at a cheaper price.

G

GoodWoodRR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
insta muck. the longer u think about it the more likely you are to see him turn over aces. I would however only do this against a super tight player that Ive observed for a while.

I Eat Poison

I Eat Poison

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kind of sick

well KK is a hand you cant really fold preflop... i mean somtimes i get the feeling im against AA but u can never really know, so you would have to play it.... if you know you are beat then fold even if it is KK as hard as it is to fold a quality pair somtimes has to be done.

C

chardukian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously this depends on what type of game you're playing and how the effective stacks in the hand are. I think anything less than 100bb's and you're almost always shipping KK in preflop is given the opportunity. The only time I think I can ever ever ever fold this is if some nit repots me with stats of like 7/1.

S

Swodaems

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the sheer bad fortune required to have kings vs. aces headsup twice. Once as the final hand of a Carbon $2 sattelite SNG and the other time as the final hand of a Full Tilt heads up SNG. Both times, I just KNEW I was beat, but could not believe it. Both instances happened with in a week of each other. Statistically speaking, how many hands of headsup did I play in that week? I think I did a maximum of about 150 which I don't think is anywhere near enough.