What do you do when you have KK preflop...and you know you are beat

Z

Zingmaster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he's got Aces then he's got Aces. cooler time.

I'm always in the pot w/ KK.

W

wooo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK is a hand ive had problims from
however if i was to be in a rerasie battle i would just call his rerasie
see the flop
if no aces or pairs in the flop
bet hard
i say this becos i only take a small % of my bankroll to the table
so if i get taken out
who cares
there more in the bank
good luck

U

uradonk406

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kk

AAAAHHHHH the elusive a's in the hole....How do you really know what to do here??...Most and by that i mean all lol of us should know better to call but who cares right???.. Wrong.. I feel ther is no set strategy to the game of online,random draw(and i use this term very loosely),poker.You are about 50/50 before the flop ALWAYS. Ask yourself this....How many times have you seen the longshot hit on the net?????? I couldnt count em on all my appendages.It seems like the underdog always wins right???I say if you can handle watching your bankroll move like a rollercoaster go for it...IF not fold .

scooterdice

scooterdice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had this happen many times late in tournaments when i pick up KK and get into a raising war with a really tight player, knowing he's got me beat but not being able to let it go. I always tell myself that he would make the same play with QQ but it its never the case. So my question to you guys is, Can you really fold KK preflop? or must you just call and see the bad news and curse your luck?

i was just wondering how you knew the K's were beat pre-flop??
anyways i would usually at least see the flop to know where you stand...i would think about folding them pre-flop if it was an extremely tight player.

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I with KK Iin pre flop i am not give all in, reaching up to me without anyone having given raise, I usually give raise 3 times the value of the big blind is twisted to not leave an A on the flop, leaving only a flop in the continuing betting , Is leaving a flop only in the check. if someone's all in a lot will depend on the situation, the number of chips, but probably I give fold.

juz2swt

juz2swt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I juz lost a tourny with AA to the KK.. Flop came nothing pushed all in he turned a K and that was it...

H

Hotkiller102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only better hand is aces but you can't know he has aces. If you know he is tight then you know kings are good to get him all in and let him call. if he has aces it's just bad luck I quess. I wouldn't fold k-k preflop.

J

Justboo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not fold KK preflop. However, if I raise say 8X the BB and someone raises me then I just call their raise. I like to see the flop if at all possible. If I'm short stacked, well I would've went all-in and he wouldn't have had the chance to reraise!

T

TapYaOut33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't think of really anytime I would fold K's preflop, I would try avoiding the raising war preflop. One of the only times I can think of is if your on the bubble and will be broke if you dont place in the tourny. If they have A's then so be it, your beat by a better hand is the way I look at it.

D

dkee18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes, a tight player is just waiting for a hand that they can play, so their hand could very well be QQ or less likely AK. I would have to see the flop and make a decision from there.

R

RAMARAIDER

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can developl the discipline to fold any hand when you are beat then you will be winning player in the long run. It's only one hand.

G

ggggg105

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you know you beat your beat you fold,and fell a little better than calling and losing.

B

babibrian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well no matter how much you want to play it, the right move at that point is to fold. what seperates the good players from the great players is the ability to fold when you know your beat. Even if you have a premium hand

D

DrewP25

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a quick reply to this. folding KK preflop early in a tourney is very possible. Late, its not profitable to fold KK pre unless you know 100% that player is holding AA.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not fold KK pf. Even if he has AA (which how do you know).....seen lots of ai re raises with AK QQ, JJ......nope not gonna do it. You are a 4-1 dog against AA.....I'm just not sure even if he showed me AA I would fold.

hahaha, even if he showed? to funny

D

DrewP25

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok i guess what i was saying is late in MTT's if you are good enough to figure out players range to only AA, then fold. but it isn't +EV to fold KK the majority of the time so if you use BR manag, its correct to play KK for the tourney. I guess there are certain situations where you know you are beat. but it has to be a big nit to muck KK. maybe i'm totally wrong?

P

paulwall01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
-There is no perfect answer to this question...The only thing you can do in this situation of being late in a tournament and having kk's against supposed AA's is:

Figure out what outcome you want to have happen with the big picture. That is, are you close to the money and if you lose will it cripple you or knock you out. If the answer is no then by all means challenge him.... otherwise fold because its just one hand. You are not guaranteed victory with any hand so your kk's can be beat by 49 off...so the point is to look at the big picture and make a decision based on that.One time i folded aa's preflop because there was 12 people left in the tournament and i was in the middle stack wise. I raised with AA's the next guy went all in with more chips than i had and another player went all in after him with a shorter stack.

-I folded because i couldn't live with the outcome of getting outflopped and knocked out. I went on the get 2nd in that tournament. So if you can fold AA's preflop in some situations, then you most def. can fold KK's if it doesn't fit with your tournament plan.

- If your in a ring game then maybe you should just find a way to see the flop but if you don't hit, then keep the betting small to nothing. Especially if there is ace showing. If he insist on bumping up the betting then get out and wait for a more lucrative situation.

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have to see the flop 1st before folding. an ace on the can make me fold. but if not... im willing to go allin with that player give my all my chips to him if he does have i those pocket A's, if not then he's the one in trouble.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Put on your Jenifer Harmon mask and pretend you are making a FT commercial.......

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THe only way I am folding KK PF in a tourney is if there are 3+ players ahead of me allin and I have a mega-stack.

Late ina tourney, I'm even less likely to fold. WHen it gets late your chances for getting a premium hand are that much smaller. Folding late is playing to cash. Calling/shoving is playing to win.

AK you are still way ahead of. And AA you can suck out on. And late in tourneys so many people are 3 and 4-betting light with all sortsd of crap these days folding kings is MASSIVELY -EV. Remember the money is in the top 3 spots, not in making the money.

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have to see the flop 1st before folding. an ace on the can make me fold. but if not... im willing to go allin with that player give my all my chips to him if he does have i those pocket A's, if not then he's the one in trouble.

This situation happened to me in my first live tourney last week. I have QQ. Action folded to hijack who makes it 3.5x to go (we are mid-late tourney here).

I am in the BB and re-raised it to around 10x the BB. This was a nitty table so I was surprised to get a call.

Flop comes Axx. Now I have a dilemma. Is the guy in AA-x or a lower pair? Betting this flop means putting in half my stack and if he only has a bit more than that so if he shoves I have to call knowing I am beat.

I also know that if I don't bet that flop I am likely giving up way to big a pot that I don't have the time to get back.

So, I suck it up and as first to act throw in about 2/3 the pot, put on the shades and stare at the table. THe guy is clearly in distress. twice he picks up his cards to toss them ain and then puts them back down. To my relief he eventually folds with disgust. As I rake the chips in I say *bad kicker? I had AK* and he replies (I think honestly) *yeah...shouldn't have got sucked in to playing A7suited*

Lesson: even with an ace on board, scared money might just fold. Any non-donk instacalls me there since he didn't leave himself that much behind and got the flop he wanted, but this guy was afraid to lose. I'm playing for FT money or nothing, so sometimes I'll take that risk.

That was a $150 buyin live tourney with 66 players, paying 6. I never play that high online but it played at the skill level of a $25 online tny. I chopped 6-ways for $1100. And that pot was at a crucial point to chipping up or being shortly at <10 BB because the blinds went up so fast.

M

Mike82K5

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The last 6 times that I have had KK an A has hit on the flop and someone was lingering with a weak A. Along the lines of trying to see the flop, I try to see it for the cheapest amount possable. I call whatever bet comes around to me or if it is checked to me I min. bet and see where that gets me.

S

sketchpad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is never any shame in folding if you know you're done. Do you really want to draw to 2 cards?
A good player can lay down any two cards

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does not matter what he has. Because at that low of stakes people play stupid cards. Last nite I played in 9 player $1.00 SNG and the player to my right went allin with anything. Limped in PF, allin post flop. He hit everything took out 4 players I was his 5th victim with a 4 flush on the flop.