RING: Why do people NOT like short stackers?

B

billyth3kid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very unpredictable could have the nuts or nothing n e giving time they bet......most cases ur going to be forced to put more chips than you would like on a 60% 40% hand... if u have 4000 in ur stack they have 900 and theyre pushing consistently.. u might call wth AK off suit... only 60% against a junk 56 or 79... i just dont like putting 25% of my stack on 60% situations but shortstack will temp you to over and over again

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep but only sometimes.

Well i do have a postflop, prefolp strategy. Bet just the right amount to get callers, to see the flop, then shove all-in. It worked with KK, AA 2 times.
The rake on UB, seams to be smaller, in 2nl.

Look this isnt SS strategy. This is playing like a nit with 20BB. Its not the same thing.

Its definitely not non exploitable,

You do realise that if you open for 4BB and get a caller, then the pot is 9.5BB meaning that your shove is just a pot sized bet.

This isn't SS stratagy. It may work at 2NL but it won't work at 200NL

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do I get caught up in these things? I tell myself to stay out of it -- I don't need the abuse, but I can't help it. I have to comment on things I don't agree with.

Do you have any clue about risk of ruin? Do you have any idea about the variance of shortstacking vs. fullstacking? Do you have any clue how BRM requirements were actually decided? Didn't think so. Google risk of ruin and do a bit of research.

I don't think you are listening to what I'm saying. If my bankroll can't support buying in deep, I just shouldn't play? Or I should play with less of my bankroll on a table at once? I think it's the latter.

I know you're too high up to understand people just starting out at the lowest levels, but they have to start somewhere. Is that a crime?

lol this is entertaining. Do you not realize that when you are HU against a shortstack you are essentially a shortstack as well? Yet shortstacking is boring but playing against them is just part of the game you deal with? Also if it is boring you can bet fish will notice it. They are playing to have fun and if they are playing a boring style (which you admit shortstacking is and by extension playing against a shortstacker is) I'm sure they can find something else more fun to do.

Of course I understand effective stack size. That doesn't mean that I can't find it fun to play against other players with a couple shortstackers thrown in, while not finding it fun to play shortstack myself. Occasionally the shortstackers will effect a hand, make it harder for you to steal, etc. But it doesn't happen nearly as often as you make it out to be. I don't think the fish find it boring to gamble their small buy-ins -- it's probably the opposite for them, they like it.

I have yet to see proof that shortstacking lowers risk. If you are 1-tabling or something and have a 1 buy-in stop loss I agree with you. However most normal poker players actually play quite a few hands and since the variance is so much worse shortstacking you really don't have that much less chance of going bust. Again read up on risk of ruin and maybe you'll understand a bit more.

If you don't put the money on the table, you can't lose it. Of course it lowers risk, especially against strong players that can threaten you with their large stacks. The variance of any given hand or session may be higher, but that's not what I'm talking about.

hmm, maybe because in the original form (live) of the game the minimum buy-in is usually 40-50 BBs? Maybe because buying in deep quite simply is not exploiting the rules at all? A deepstack simply can not exploit a shortstack any more than a shortstack can. To the shortstack all other stack sizes are the same. A shortstack on the other hand can exploit the deepstack because to the deepstack the shortstacks and deepstacks are different. So that's how I can say that.

Again, the rules are what they are. If you are going to play, and the rules say a player can buy in anywhere from 20 - 200bb deep, why bellyache about someone following the rules? If you don't like the rules, don't play. If you can get the rules changed, fine.

Since they shove top of their range the only way to counteract them is to not steal as much which is pointless because your profits when the deepstack fish calls and the shortstack folds will be a lot more than when you have to fold to the shortstack shove.

I can see that this is why it irritates players; it takes away one of their biggest money-making strategies. I guess you just need to watch out for SSers on your left; if you get one, move. A pain, I know. Or don't try to steal with garbage. They'll still be reraising wide if what you say is true, so wait for a better opportunity and take their stack.

Well yeah, they don't have to think much so it's quite easy to play a ton of hands and they probably have tens of thousands of hands on most regs. Not sure what that has to do with anything though.

I'll bet the best SSers study up against particular players they see over and over. If they can devise a strategy to win under the rules, what's wrong with that?

lol you're kidding right? This is just plain wrong from a theoretical point of view and realistically. The big winning shortstackers that play the mid-high stakes (not so much high because they almost always are playing deep tables to avoid shortstackers) all re-steal extremely wide. It's a fact. Just because the shortstackers at your games wherever you play are exploiting the moron regs doesn't mean that at higher stakes nitting it up as a shortstacker is profitable.

Why do you insist on upping the stakes? I'm just talking about basic $1-$2 nl players. Everyone of those I've seen plays tight and pushes their good hands hard. Can you give me an example from Table Ratings? I'd like to see what you mean, because I haven't run into that, either in my own games, or studying higher limits by watching hand replays.

lol because they're playing at lower stakes. Show me a solid winning shortstacker at 400nl+ who is a nit. Oh wait that's right you can't. Some of the rakeback pros are nits but the real winners are the ones re-stealing well and adjusting to the re-stealing ranges of regs.

Show me one that isn't, but you don't have to go 400nl+. Just your basic $1-$2 nl player will do. I've never studied 400 nl players; they're a bit over my bankroll! My target is 1-2 nl, the point where people can start thinking about making a living.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limits Played:
Low $ MTTs, 2nl, 5nl

I don't play MTTs anymore -- only cash games. I'm working my way up -- again, is something wrong with that?

I can't have an opinion because of my lowly stakes?

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, I've researched the Risk of Ruin. It's interesting that none of my poker books talk about that concept. They usually give the rule of thumb-type recommendation, 50 buy-ins or so. My RoR calculations show that I need a lot less of a bankroll than I thought.

One question, though: How can you calculate your RoR at a new stake that you've never played before, or if you're just starting out and have no idea whether you will be a winning player at your chosen stake? Don't you run the risk of ruin just simply trying to get stats to calculate your risk of ruin? It's a chicken and egg, which came first problem.

In the new e-book by Miller, et al, they don't like to state particular bankroll requirements, but they say it is more than you think -- when pressed, they come up with the number 100 buy-ins. How does this jive with the Risk of Ruin concept?

What's a typical standard deviation for a shortstacker vs. deepstacker, anyone know?

Last edited:
BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you are listening to what I'm saying. If my bankroll can't support buying in deep, I just shouldn't play? Or I should play with less of my bankroll on a table at once? I think it's the latter.

Variance and risk of ruin are not really affected by you buying in deep or short. The value of the blinds is the overwhelming factor. So if you can't afford buying in deep, you can't afford buying short either.

Caveat: this is only true if you have similar win rates whether you buy in deep or short. If you suck at deep stack poker, it's an entirely different thing of course.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks for the link, but this guy plays classic shortstack strategy, too. He's tighter than 96.1% of his opponents. He goes all-in with AK, certain pocket pairs in position, and he plays normal poker the rest of the time. Granted, I only looked at his latest 5,000+ hand session, but I don't see how he's causing the deepstackers that much trouble, other than he's not afraid to call their bluffs. Deepstackers have to quit trying to bluff shortstackers, in my opinion. When you have so much of your stack in, it's rarely a mistake to call all-in. Going all-in with AK can hardly be a mistake, either. You're getting the right odds against anything except AA or KK.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the link, but this guy plays classic shortstack strategy, too. He's tighter than 96.1% of his opponents. He goes all-in with AK, certain pocket pairs in position, and he plays normal poker the rest of the time. Granted, I only looked at his latest 5,000+ hand session, but I don't see how he's causing the deepstackers that much trouble, other than he's not afraid to call their bluffs. Deepstackers have to quit trying to bluff shortstackers, in my opinion. When you have so much of your stack in, it's rarely a mistake to call all-in. Going all-in with AK can hardly be a mistake, either. You're getting the right odds against anything except AA or KK.

Look better. He resteal-shoves A7 or KJ from the BB.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man this thread is turning epic. People must really hate shortstackers!

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thread has turned into a big wall-o-text

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going all-in with AK can hardly be a mistake, either. You're getting the right odds against anything except AA or KK.

Getting AK in usually is standard 100 BBs deep...

Also when you're looking up how tight/loose they are note that shortstackers may even 3-bet less than deepstacks. The bigger thing is that a deepstack will be 3-bet/folding hands like 67s while the shortstack is instead 3-bet shoving hands like A7 and KJ. Basically they have a much wider value range but percentagewise may actually end up not raising/3-betting quite as much.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thread has turned into a big wall-o-text
This. ^^^

I think this is the first time I've ever tuned out of one of my own threads. My question was answered on the first page and I tuned out by the 5th. But that's just me. To each his own. Cheers.

DFirstBishop

DFirstBishop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to say first off that I love short stackers. I tend to feed on them. Yes, there are some causes where I tend to leave em alone. But if I see a chance to donk raise preflop with a mediocre hand to push them into calling trying to double up and I think I can get them into a one on one situation I most definitly will. I can not express enough how much of my stack comes from eating the little fish at the table. It seems to work for me.

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look better. He resteal-shoves A7 or KJ from the BB.

Yes, you are right. He seems willing to shove with any ace, any pair, or sometimes two high cards while in the blinds. The blind play is what tweaks you, I think. He must have figured out that the dead money and fold equity make up for those times he is dominated. If he isn't dominated, he is almost always getting a good price on his shove. Other than that, he is very nitty. I can't believe some of the hands the deepstackers call his shoves with. Why don't they let him steal and then pounce on him when they actually have a good hand themselves?

Getting AK in usually is standard 100 BBs deep...

Also when you're looking up how tight/loose they are note that shortstackers may even 3-bet less than deepstacks. The bigger thing is that a deepstack will be 3-bet/folding hands like 67s while the shortstack is instead 3-bet shoving hands like A7 and KJ. Basically they have a much wider value range but percentagewise may actually end up not raising/3-betting quite as much.

Agreed, but I don't think that makes them loose players. They are just willing to commit with hands that have pretty good equity. Their opponents call them down with weaker hands than usual since it's such a small part of their stack.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you are right. He seems willing to shove with any ace, any pair, or sometimes two high cards while in the blinds.

Of course. in EP/MP, playing nitty is correct.

I can't believe some of the hands the deepstackers call his shoves with. Why don't they let him steal and then pounce on him when they actually have a good hand themselves?

pot odds and spite. It's correct to call a 20bb shove over your 3.5bb open if you have 40% equity against the SS range. So it's always at least tempting. And when you call, you either stack the SS which feels great, or double him and see him leave your table, which makes room for a deep stack fish.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why have you attributed something that kidkvno1 said, to EgonTowst? :icon_scra

No idea.

I didn't notice, just hit the quote button.

Certainly not intentional.

Don`t let it worry you, Stu.

Since the quote in question was neither logical nor grammatical, regulars will have understood at once that it could not really have been from me. :laugh:

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And when you call, you either stack the SS which feels great, or double him and see him leave your table, which makes room for a deep stack fish.

So most of them leave immediately? I'd think they would stick around at least until the blinds came around again.

The one you cited often stuck around after doubling up. He must have criteria for leaving, but it didn't seem to be only for the purpose of ratholing.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So most of them leave immediately? I'd think they would stick around at least until the blinds came around again.

The one you cited often stuck around after doubling up. He must have criteria for leaving, but it didn't seem to be only for the purpose of ratholing.

Most SSers leave when they double up. They can no longer play the SS strategy once they double up.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This. ^^^

I think this is the first time I've ever tuned out of one of my own threads. My question was answered on the first page and I tuned out by the 5th. But that's just me. To each his own. Cheers.

Good job stick, lol

It's Poker Rigged #2!!!

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This thread is infinitely more interesting than the rigtard thread, and for me it didn't really become interesting until Belgo started talking about x+y/z and then RogueRivered started putting some coherent arguments together.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Wait for the blinds and leave. Always.

It looks like he stayed in PTR, but if you look closely at the time stamps on the hands, he actually leaves the table, waits for the end of the ratholing time out and comes back with 20bb. He just plays long enough sessions that he can come back several times to the same table.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's odd because from my vantage point no one is arguing about the same thing.

There is one side arguing that SS'ers are evil, play an overly simple un-exploitable game, and are the scourge of the earth.

There is another side arguing that shortstackers shouldn't be overly criticized since they are just exploiting the game efficiently, and within the rules.

And then there is this odd third contingent who are arguing about things without really having any clear understanding of any of it.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:cool: Just couldn't help myself on this one! Aside from being pointless to play against. The people who sit with the table minimum are in reality hurting themselves. The point is playing cards with money is to make money and you sure as shit aren't gonna win anything sittin with the table minimum:cool: