Min Raising

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have said so much mor in this thread since I posted that. I have also proven that min raising works in certain cases. Please read on instead of trying to get jabs in.

Umm...wow...ok well let's say I min raised UTG with 72o, then flop is 7 7 2. Does that completely sway the masses that suddenly min raising is an incredible play, because look what happened when i made a stupid move and got lucky? No...you just got lucky.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Umm...wow...ok well let's say I min raised UTG with 72o, then flop is 7 7 2. Does that completely sway the masses that suddenly min raising is an incredible play, because look what happened when i made a stupid move and got lucky? No...you just got lucky.

I don't think he was saying that 7 BB pot is a big one :p It seems like he was NOT advocating minraising because he only got 7 BB for the nut flush.

ugotkicked

ugotkicked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min raising is not one of my favorite things to do..infact it's probably the worst thing I do.seems let too many hands stick around for sukouts.
50/100 blinds..Im makin it atleast 325 with a strong hand,such as AK suited

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like anything else in poker all things must be considered. If I am min raising and getting huge reraises I am going to fold. If I put out one more small blind does that commit me to staying. Is one more BB enough to move out someone that woiuld have stayed for 2x

Example

Early tourney blinds Let's say 10/20. I am in MP. All early positions fold. I min raise to 40 with 10/10. Next person calls button raises to 300. If I had bet 60 instead of 40 should I stay in? If I had called should I be in? If in the same situation I raise 60 and it folds around to BB and he calls flop comes and I miss it. BB bets pot size bet. Do I have any information than I would have if I bet 40 instead of 60?

I will continue to feel out the table. If someone is on to me and my min raises I will change up. Then I really throw them off.

Min raising is not one of my favorite things to do..infact it's probably the worst thing I do.seems let too many hands stick around for sukouts.
50/100 blinds..Im makin it atleast 325 with a strong hand,such as AK suited

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think minraising is a good play from EP as long as your hand distribution reflects your position. I generally raise 7.4% of my hands presuming they're currently the best hand from UTG, and 8.3% of my hands from UTG+1 then an additional ~4% of hands that are speculative hands that are unlikely to be dominated by a caller at most stack sizes. My strong hands protect my weak ones preflop and I can often fold them to a reraise. Then my weak hands protect my strong hands on certain flops where a normal top X% of hands would be unlikely to hit the board allowing me to always threaten to have the nuts on any flop. You do tend to get more action preflop with a minraise depending on your opponents, but if you have a generally superior range you shouldn't be afraid of it, obviously it can be somewhat precarious to play any hand out of position with deep stacks, but you can alter your distribution to the stack depth to emphasize hands that play better based on various stack sizes and likely number of callers. The benefit to the min raise is that it helps limit pot size as you don't necessarily want to play a big pot while out of position, though often only the big blind will call with a very weak range because of the pot odds you're offering him, and then he'll be in a difficult situation unless he hits the flop hard. It also limits your expenses in situations where you have to fold your hand either to a reraise or postflop. The larger your preflop bets are the tighter your range should be so this allows you to play a wider range than many of the nits who will play only a few hands and it will make you much harder to read. And if you use standard bet sizing by position rather than by strength of hand it allows superior information hiding. Obviously if you're at an ante stage in a tournament you need to increase your bet size to offer less attractive odds, probably to about 2.5BB rather than the min raise, but otherwise I find that it's a very useful bet size in EP.

J

jokerjay311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive never been a fan of the min raising either online or in live play. most of the time the other person or persons involved in the hand will call it anyways. unless the pot isnt huge and there arent really any odds to call but even then most will call anyway. so do u really want to show the strength of your hands? most of the time it says youre strong. im all for trying this move with a junk hand to fool your oppenent, but know if he or she is tight or loose.