Min Raising

S

SankTheTank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not min raise? Ive heard a lot that you should never min raise... but why?

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AG, told me god kills a puppy everytime you min raise. No way I will be responsible for that.

W

wicked663

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a very informative thread. I was wondering if you adjust the play for normal freerolls. When I am in a buy in tourney I play (or atleast try to play) solid poker. I try not to limp, raise 3x blind but early in a freeroll I found people were insta calling me with any 2 cards in hope of getting lucky. This lotto poker style really messes with your ability to put your opponent on a hand. How do you counter it?

S

SankTheTank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a very informative thread. I was wondering if you adjust the play for normal freerolls. When I am in a buy in tourney I play (or atleast try to play) solid poker. I try not to limp, raise 3x blind but early in a freeroll I found people were insta calling me with any 2 cards in hope of getting lucky. This lotto poker style really messes with your ability to put your opponent on a hand. How do you counter it?

you dont... trust me, ive been trying for a year

JoeShowdown

JoeShowdown

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've become a fan of minraising on the full tilt freerolls because a lot of people
are sitting out and this way you steal their blinds

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off I believe there is definitely a place for min-raising in a tourney as stacks get small in relation to blinds and any bigger raise would commit you too much. Also, I have actually heard pros (Ed Miller was one) advocate min-raising even in cash games. It's just that most of the time people do it they have no idea why they're doing it. Obviously it's a bad play most of the time.

Although I did hear, I think from BuckLox, that the way to determine who's going to win the hand is who wins the min-raise war, ie if it goes min bet, min-raise, min-raise, min-raise, min-raise, call, the last person to min-raise will most likely win the pot a good 90% of the time just because they won the psychological battle.

(last part obviously a joke, although it was in that video lol, first paragraph serious though)

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just did a min raise from UTG (A5s) in a cash game and ended up with an A high flush on the turn and a pot that was 7x the BB. Is the advice in this thread only for tourney play?

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a good teacher on this site....code name DorkusMalorkus, It's 100$ a lesson 75$ to him and 25$ to me for the source that is so great...

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just did a min raise from UTG (A5s) in a cash game and ended up with an A high flush on the turn and a pot that was 7x the BB. Is the advice in this thread only for tourney play?

min-raising A5s from UTG in general is not a good play. And are you telling me that you only got an extra 1.5 big blinds after the preflop action with the nut flush (you raise to 2, he calls, that's 4 in the pot and you only won a pot that was 7)?

T

TheCody86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

MINRAISING = -EV in every non fixed limit game! You are getting minimal value out of your hands by doing it. The only idiots who do it do not know how to bet their hands to get action/do not think about the game/do not have any clue how to put other people on a specific hand range...it's dumb in every aspect and people that do it should quit playing poker.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Solution for all min raisers!

Play limit!

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've become a fan of minraising on the full tilt freerolls because a lot of people
are sitting out and this way you steal their blinds

Yeah, in a freeroll you get people sitting out so if you are in the SB and no ones in the pot ahead of you and you KNOW the guy next to you is sitting out, then min raise. Other than that never do it. I see this the most on Carbon poker where they have a couple 6 handed freerolls.

JupeZ

JupeZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min raising is stubid in my opinion. Lets say the pot is like 500 and u bet min for 30. ofc ure opponents will call with anything lol. And when u bet like 240 on turn ure opponent might caught something or have greater draws than in flop.

I

icepick007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this was an interesting insight for me,because i generally use minraise often in mtt's....the 'stop minraising' thread changed my perspective a whole lot....thanks for bringing this up....:)

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No the total pot ended up being 14

min-raising A5s from UTG in general is not a good play. And are you telling me that you only got an extra 1.5 big blinds after the preflop action with the nut flush (you raise to 2, he calls, that's 4 in the pot and you only won a pot that was 7)?

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People who min raise should quit playing poker? If you know that your opponent will fold to you on a min raise why wouldnt you do it?

MINRAISING = -EV in every non fixed limit game! You are getting minimal value out of your hands by doing it. The only idiots who do it do not know how to bet their hands to get action/do not think about the game/do not have any clue how to put other people on a specific hand range...it's dumb in every aspect and people that do it should quit playing poker.

B

bronx3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A min raise will not push out suited connectors that people so often lose to on the river and then complain. Raise 3x the big blind at least early in a tournament. When the blinds get big, 2.5x may do

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to read through all of the info in the thread that was linked early on in this thread. There seems to be a lot of good info there and here.

I have a second question. How do you counter a min raise. Should your play against it be normal play? If someone is making a min raise should we assume they are bad players? Can we take advantage of that somehow?

I just saw a person min raise Cash game NLHE micro and get reraised by 6 and then called all in with a stack three times the size of the person who re raised their min bet. Do we fold against the all in? With which hands can we call it?

I dont know if a person will call min raise they will call 3x BB early in a tourney. Now if it is later and the raise is 600 vs 400 maybe.

Last edited:
Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't particularly like the min-raise, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is never a good idea. It all depends on the person you are playing. With so many people against the min-raise, you could take advantage of it depending on the type of game you are playing.
That being said, unless you have the absolute nuts I would not min raise in a freeroll. But if you do, it could be a pot sweetener for you

danny021

danny021

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why cant you min raise?? i think its a good play at right times to pull off a bluff... Played right, people could think you're min raising begging for a call, putting you on a great hand... if the bluff doesnt work and the guy moves over the top, its an easy laydown as you havent committed a hefty amount of chips... it all depends on situation.. hard to say yes or no without knowing the circumstances.

N

ncmtngirl79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think min raise after the flop is stupid, and I used to think pre flop, but I watched this guy min raise pre flop every hand he played, if it was re raised he didn't call, but most of the time he just got a lot of callers, then after the flop he would bet half the pot, every time same scenario if he was raised all in he would fold , however he never changed his play so when he had the nutzs or a good hand he got paid off. The key for him was he did it with just the hands he wanted to play, never changed his strategy, was able to fold, able to win with his actual hands, and after the table switch I saw him again at the last three tables of the ub free roll. I ended up leaving earlier then he did, but it was definately an interesting strategy.