Low-Stakes Thread

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1/$3 game, fairly tight for the most part. ESS = $365, the two villains are deeper with each other, maybe $700 or so.

I open red Kings to $15 UTG, relatively nitty (but not uber-nit) in MP 3bets to $35. No history with him. Bluffy, splashy player (from previously posted hand, his nickname from now on is "Rag") flats in the SB and BB folds. I make it $95 to go and both of them call.

Flop comes 962r. Rag leads for $135 and I have exactly $270. I shove, uber-nit folds, Rag calls. He asks what I have, I say a pair, he asks "you have aces?" I say no, he says "I'll run it twice," but I know I'm way far ahead now so I say run it once.

Please nit pick my 4bet sizing and anything else (I know, I know, I shouldn't say what I have).

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's right Scourrge, be a man and run it once!

Sizing is fine. WP.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, looks good. Also agree with only running it once.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just need the positive reinforcement, thanks. When he has 87s there I like people telling me how good I got it in.

Kind of insane he puts in 95 pre and on his dream board he's only making a marginally +EV play by getting it in.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just need the positive reinforcement, thanks. When he has 87s there I like people telling me how good I got it in.

Kind of insane he puts in 95 pre and on his dream board he's only making a marginally +EV play by getting it in.

yeah but he was suited

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol yeah. Ridiculously huge mistake even so =)

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1/$3 live, the table is playing fairly tight overall.

4 limps to hero in the BB and hero makes it $21 with :kh4: :8h4:, and two fish call.

(Pot: ~$65)
Flop: :9h4: :7c4: :6d4:
Hero leads for $45. Fish #1 folds, fish #2, a pretty loose passive player calls.

(Pot: ~$155)
Turn: :ac4:
Fish #2 has about $170. Hero covers, and shoves all in.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

4 limps to hero in the BB and hero makes it $21 with :kh4: :8h4:, and two fish call.

Hero leads for $45. Fish #1 folds, fish #2, a pretty loose passive player calls.

Check it pre. See a flop. You have an edge so there is no need to go crazy pre. I'm all for isolating K8s, just not against 4 players when we are OOP.

Don't like flop much at all. Seeing as you have got yourself into this mess I agree with turn shove. However that is dependant on how bad this player is. I'll have to go with your judgement here and assume he can find a fold with most of his range.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah no need to really raise pre like that. I think I might check call the flop here... Because if we lead and he re raises its over. But by check calling we don't risk getting re raised. However... By doing this it makes our turn shove look really full o shit. Since u have an edge I might just check fold turn... There will be plenty of opportunities to take his money. I don't like the donk bet on the flop at all though. We have no information... And we have a drawing hand. I think I would elect to x/c the flop. X/f the turn if we miss. There's no need to go wild in this hand and bluff off our stack IMO.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@Matt, I'm not sure when I'd be iso'ing if not into multiple people? Or are you saying you iso against 3 players but not 4 here?? Or more the OOP part?

@Jblocher, I don't think I'd really call it donking the flop (it's more of a cbet since I raised preflop), and we have plenty of info since everyone limp called. My reasoning was that if I check/call the flop I'll likely have to make my hand to win, whereas by betting I can take it down, and there are a million good turn cards for me. Any of my straight outs, any card Q+ are cards I can bet on, and when I DO hit my straight it's really tough for anyone to put me on an 8x type hand.

I agree the iso was pretty loose, but I had a big stack and a winning image at this point, so I was expecting to get HU or take it down fairly often. I should have mentioned that about my image.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's pretty ok to try and ISO with K8s here, given it's a tight table and we can get some folds and take it down pre which is great and secondly; even when called it's going to be pretty easy to play HU vs fish. Last thing we want; is to check pre with a hand that's going to be terrible OOP vs 4 fish and we'll just end x/f most boards.

I like flop bet given we have OESD and turn shove is fine as well..

nh

Last edited:
Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My reasoning was that if I check/call the flop I'll likely have to make my hand to win, whereas by betting I can take it down, and there are a million good turn cards for me. Any of my straight outs, any card Q+ are cards I can bet on, and when I DO hit my straight it's really tough for anyone to put me on an 8x type hand.
That actually seems reasonable. I mean like, for the most part I consider the idea of bluffing into a ton of people absurd, but if you can barrel off whomever's left like all the time it seems saner.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As for the isoing pre, I think it depends on how villain's have been playing. Have they been limp/folding or limp/calling? If l/f, then looks good. If l/c, we just need to realize they can be l/c better K's then K8 here as well, in case flop comes K hi we just need to make the mental note to slow down if villain feels strong.

Flop- looks good, think we can get away w/cbetting like 27$ here tbh. still going to get folds + leaves us some more maneuver room. Fish who l/c aren't thinking about pot size and what not

turn- If we had a little more behind I think we could go like 67$, just because it's probably going to have the same effect as betting 150+ imo. The A is a scare card whether we absolutely murder the turn or not. If villain calls 67, still leaves us like 100$ behind almost to just shove river's we like + realize we really don't have much fold equity any longer and we don't lose a full stack bluffing into a calling station who won't let go :)

As played, I don't think it's too bad. I don't like getting committed against fish w/draws and weak hands, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I think we could cbet less on flop, but other than that looks okay.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's fair. ^ Frankly I was expecting fish #2 to fold 90+ % of her range. Ie only really getting committed with a draw in the sense that if she does call then I still have nut outs.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought K8s hand was perfectly fine. Pre's a little loose but with your image I think you can get away with it.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on the info you gave us - little to none - I don't like preflop at all. I mean like, do you know how these guys are going to play? Can you give them each a range and use that to interpret what flops you can successfully bluff on?

Because you sure as hell will struggle to get value here IMO. I struggle to think why you are raising here. If they limp/fold a lot then I'm down with pre. It just seems to me that you aren't going to get nearly enough folds to be profitable here, and that leads to trouble postflop because I struggle to see you getting value from your hand the majority of the time. Which means we will commit to bluffing most of the time. Now I don't know about you but I don't want to be bluffing in an inflated, most likely multiway flop, while being OOP and against bad players. Just not a recipe for success.

Another point is that isolating is different every time. Your isolation range isn't going to be the same vs 3 TAGs and 1 fish as it would be vs 4 fish. You really didn't give us enough info on each of the players for me to say whether I would isolate K8s here.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bumping with a hand
BTN and SB are both fish, so I didn't want to 3b and end the pot pre. As played, I just couldn't give villain much credit for anything on river. Not a big hand/spot, but I think this is a pretty decent spot to make the A hi call...what does everyone think?

PokerStars - $2 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4
CO: 82.5 BB
BTN: 83 BB
SB: 56.2 BB
Hero (BB): 197.7 BB
SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB
Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: A:diamond:
fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, Hero calls 2 BB
Flop: (9 BB, 3 players) 5:heart: 9:heart: K:spade:
SB checks, Hero checks, BTN checks
Turn: (9 BB, 3 players) 3:club:
SB checks, Hero bets 5.5 BB, BTN calls 5.5 BB, fold
River: (20 BB, 2 players) K:club:
Hero checks, BTN bets 12 BB

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ I think there aren't a lot of hands that btn would be taking this line and be betting for value, maybe like a set of 3s or a very thin A9 type hand. More likely I suspect villain will show up with missed gutter balls and worse A high hands. Really don't mind making a hero call here.

Also it reminds me of a spot where on a simmilar board texture I hero called a river stab in a 3 way pot when I had just QJ high. Admittedly much lower stakes, but the point is that people will stab at these pots if they think you're weak.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
looks good, he might turn up with 9T sometimes, but we don't hold a heart which is awesome, and Kx prob doesn't take this line.

R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is with all the <100 BB stacks I would be hating life lol

I ain't trying to say I wouldn't make the call but I feel like this could generally sometimes be a bluff that we can't even beat or like a thin 9x betting for value.

Maybe he wakes up with JJ/QQ or even a lower mid pair on the BTN and doesn't continue otf because of K high board and he is a fish or maybe a fish taking a weird line with Kx lol.

either way it can't be terrible but I probably 3b pre because we OOP and it makes it harder for us to play postflop imo by just flatting like I don't really get the turn bet tbh.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against fishes you need to 3bet this preflop for value and ainec.

As played, I guess you're beat both by villain's value range and a good chunk of his bluffing range, although I guess his range is value heavy: he can take this line with loads of crappy Kx hands.

Last edited: