Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He open limped EP. Fish I say.

It's live. Open-limping EP is pretty standard for a large part of the population, and not a guarantee of a bad player. Plus there are plenty of players who make some fishy plays without being 100% god-awful postflop.

Lead turn. Checking there seems absurd.

Are we just trying to get called by 9x? (Should have mentioned this but I expected BB to lead out if she had hit any kind of half-decent ace.)

And river action as played?

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well that's tough. Seems you have a dynamic going with him, at least he certainly feels so. If he has some hand reading ability like you claim, a dynamic that makes felting you a more enticing prospect, and to add to that your hand is under repped then I probably find a call.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree it's a call. I'm going to write a blog post later about that hand actually, cause the following half an hour or so was one of the most interesting of my live poker career.

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im folding, and im betting turn

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What range do you put him on if you're folding, please.

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's very talkative in this hand I think I'm going to find a fold. I am leading the turn as well, I think the value of information you find will be more rewarding, then a guy betting like 1/12th of the pot. To me his range could be ak+ and bluffs ak 99 a9s 77.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't say he was very talkative in this particular hand, I said he was talkative in general. The point being his speech here was not out of the ordinary, and I didn't see that as a valid indication of either strength or weakness.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's uh settle down a bit guys. Don't everyone post at once.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah. Right then, here you are. Don't worry the wait was definitely worth it.

skd182554sdc-Hands-wide.jpg
I have a confession :(. Those aren't actually my hands... it's just a random picture from the web.

Let me go eat and I'll look through my database for a few to post up later this afternoon.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sexy ^

$1/$3 live game. Mostly loose passive.

I open KQhh to $15 in MP and laggy, splashy player 3bets to $35. The sizing is pretty small, so Hero puts him more on weaker hands rather than monsters based on history, and calls.

(Pot: ~$70)
Flop: Kd Th 9c
SB bets $55. Hero believes SB will bet nearly his entire range here, and calls quickly, not seeing any value in raising.

(Pot: ~$180)
Turn: 6d
SB leads out again, this time for $90. Hero thinks it’s a little more likely SB has a real hand, but SB has been getting out of line this whole session, running big multistreet bluffs that don’t make much sense, and even turning odd second pair type hands into bluffs on rivers. Hero calls.

(Pot: ~360)
River: 8d
SB thinks for about 15 seconds and then fires out a $150 bet. Hero watches SB closely, but SB has no tells that Hero has been able to pick up on. Hero runs the hand through his head, and though there are some combos that beat him that SB would play like this, SB has been bluffing a lot this session – even with decent 2nd best hands that should have been played more for their SDV. Hero eventually decides that SB has plenty of pure air and other hands he turns into bluffs that he can call. Hero calls.

Thoughts?

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not putting this off any longer. As promised here's a few hopefully postworthy hands from a few different limits. I dunno probably not. There's no real filter for interestingness and looking through a bunch of hands is kind of a chore. There was one I wanted to find where it was like.... an unknown checks flop and turn to me and I decide to fire ott with 7 high or thereabouts. When players check to you twice it's still a fairly reliable indiciation they're weak, especially in single raised pots. Anyway so he actually check/raises and I look at my hand again and see no pair and no draw, and then I'm like "word" and click call. The river pairs my 7 for I think 3rd pair and he bets and I'm so confused and a little drunk and there's still quite a lot behind and anyway maybe I'll find that one next time you guys want some hands posted.

Stats probably won't be posted. This is so the best course of action is more ambiguous and debates can rage for hundreds of posts. We don't want to make it too easy now.

1)

Hero (CO) ($219.80)
Button ($322.75)
SB ($66.25)
BB ($251)
UTG ($208)
MP ($360.40)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 10
diamond.gif
, K
diamond.gif
2 folds, Hero bets $6, 2 folds, BB raises to $16, Hero calls $10

Flop: ($33) 7
heart.gif
, 2
spade.gif
, Q
heart.gif
(2 players)
BB bets $16, Hero calls $16

Turn: ($65) 9
club.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $37, BB calls $37

River: ($139) J
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $78, BB calls $78

Total pot: $295 | Rake: $3

Results below:
BB had 8
spade.gif
, 9
diamond.gif
(one pair, nines).
Hero had 10
diamond.gif
, K
diamond.gif
(straight, King high).
Outcome: Hero won $292
Here's one. Discuss! I'm not looking for help or advice with any of these but by all means line check away. Show no mercy. Villain here is kind of bad. 3bets light a bit too much against me since I don't often fold to 3bets when I'm in position. Now that I think about it, I rarely fold at any time for any reason playing poker. Hmm. Anyway his range is pretty weak overall when he cbets. My strategy here was to bink the offsuit J otr. I did expect a lot of folds ott and IIRC I was going to give up and check back most rivers I think if he continued.

2)

CO ($1204.10)
Button ($798.40)
SB ($279.50)
BB ($717)
Hero (UTG) ($1056.80)
MP ($400)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A
diamond.gif
, J
heart.gif

Hero bets $13, 2 folds, Button calls $13, 2 folds

Flop: ($32.00) 4
spade.gif
, J
diamond.gif
, 8
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $20, Button calls $20

Turn: ($72.00) A
club.gif
(2 players)Hero bets $43, Button calls $43

River: ($158.00) 5
diamond.gif
(2 players)

Note we're 200 blinds deep. Villain is pretty good I guess. Reg. No prodigy or anything, but certainly capable if not a little fancy at times. He'll float, double float, bluff raise any street, etc etc. Basically if I was Dr. Evil this guy would be Mini Me. 26/22/9.1 over a few k hands (most of which are not from this year) and perceives me as probably tighter but something not too far from that. He knows I'll open AJo UTG and can pretty much have every set here, and likely expects me to triple all of the aforementioned hands (as well as bluffs ofc) although I'm not 100% on that one. Not sure how he expects me to play bare aces against him there on a dry board, or maybe I knew when the hand was played. w/e. Anyway he obv knows the ace is a common card to double barrel, likely knows I know he knows that, etc. I stacked him earlier in the session when I flopped the nut flush draw versus his pair + flush draw and then hit one of my over cards after the chips went in. If you're wondering the relevance of that, look down your boxers for the answer. Not very much to speak of.

Have at 'er. Bet/call? Bet/fold? Check/raise? Check/call? Hell let's throw in check/fold while we're at it. Sizing too if you like betting this street. Maybe he flopped a set (dunn dunn dunnnnn). You may be thinking he's probably not very strong here if I have the best hand right. Bear in mind I do tend to get called down quite light. See hand #3 for why that is.

3)

BB ($125.40)
Hero (UTG) ($186.75)
MP ($100)
CO ($214.10)
Button ($102.20)
SB ($254.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K
heart.gif
, Q
club.gif

Hero bets $3, 3 folds, SB raises to $11, 1 fold, Hero raises to $26, SB calls $15

Flop: ($53) 3
diamond.gif
, 3
club.gif
, 3
heart.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $28, SB raises to $61, Hero raises to $160.75 (All-In), 1 fold

Total pot: $175 | Rake: $3

Hero didn't show K
heart.gif
, Q
club.gif
Outcome: Hero won $172
MP on exactly one buy in 2 out of 3 hands. Poker is rigged? Noteworthy I guess that he flats my 4bet oop. Uh so this one wasn't that recent and I don't remember every little detail with the thought process. Villain is a "meh" reg who I have no history with and I doubt he knows a thing about me at this point. Basically his line was full of **** and I'm uncapped so yeah aalllllinnnnnn. This is the one hand of the 3 where if I got roasted for my play in it I wouldn't necessarily disagree. Not openly, anyway. I was just going by feel here all Luke Skywalker-esque. Thanks random breakeven 100NL player for not "putting me on AK" and calling off with like 99 or something.

Last edited:
Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sexy ^

I open KQhh to $15 in MP and laggy, splashy player 3bets to $35. The sizing is pretty small, so Hero puts him more on weaker hands rather than monsters based on history, and calls.

SB bets $55. Hero believes SB will bet nearly his entire range here, and calls quickly, not seeing any value in raising.

SB leads out again, this time for $90. Hero thinks it’s a little more likely SB has a real hand, but SB has been getting out of line this whole session, running big multistreet bluffs that don’t make much sense, and even turning odd second pair type hands into bluffs on rivers. Hero calls.

SB thinks for about 15 seconds and then fires out a $150 bet. Hero watches SB closely, but SB has no tells that Hero has been able to pick up on. Hero runs the hand through his head, and though there are some combos that beat him that SB would play like this, SB has been bluffing a lot this session – even with decent 2nd best hands that should have been played more for their SDV. Hero eventually decides that SB has plenty of pure air and other hands he turns into bluffs that he can call. Hero calls.

Thoughts?

I guess your play is fine. This hand Is really read dependent though... I kinda feel like only you could understand the situation because u r the one who's been playing with the guy. I'm defo calling flop and calling turn... But in this spot I might fold river... But I'd probably call. And you're right about a re raise on the flop being bad. IMO it's because of 2 reasons.

1. It clears out most of his air type hands.

2. I feel like its better to exercise pot control here because u have no where near the nuts here and you don't want to be too committed.

I can't picture myself doing anything different here. I like flatting the flop and turn... But on the river I think it's all read dependent. I feel like its a spot where u should go with ur instinct. If u feel beat u probably are... But since u seem to believe he has a lot of crap in his range. Call the river.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess your play is fine. This hand Is really read dependent though... I kinda feel like only you could understand the situation because u r the one who's been playing with the guy. I'm defo calling flop and calling turn... But in this spot I might fold river... But I'd probably call. And you're right about a re raise on the flop being bad. IMO it's because of 2 reasons.

1. It clears out most of his air type hands.

2. I feel like its better to exercise pot control here because u have no where near the nuts here and you don't want to be too committed.

I can't picture myself doing anything different here. I like flatting the flop and turn... But on the river I think it's all read dependent. I feel like its a spot where u should go with ur instinct. If u feel beat u probably are... But since u seem to believe he has a lot of crap in his range. Call the river.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah sorry it's really tough to give useful info on reads, since a lot of it is remembering certain showdowns in certain hands and sometimes just more generally how he played certain spots. Hard to give useful info without writing a book about it :D But essentially he kept showing up with hands I wouldn't have thought possible - like he def kept thinking he was bluffing, he'd get hero called, then sheepishly turn over his hand clearly thinking it was beat, and the other guy would muck A high or bottom pair or whatever lol.

With how he was playing it felt like a call, and I couldn't get any reads off him in the moment, so I just had to go with it.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well done DK on the Hand That Shall Go Nameless.

1. Seems pretty standard I think, especially if he 3bets too much OOP against you. Flop and turn I like - can we get away with sizing bigger OTR or are we being particularly balanced or something here?

2. I thiiiiiink I like a bet here. Bet/call even. But x/c seems pretty sexy if he is gonna double float and then bluff rivers... I'm conflicted!!

3. I'm gonna be honest right here and say I haven't the slightest clue about what's going on in this hand. Are we 4betting for value? Betting the flop as a semibluff? Shoving as a pure bluff? Ahem. Anyway, well done I suppose, though at any game I've ever played in this would lose me a stack and a half every time :)

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems a couple of lines in my post got joined together while I was trying to fix the formatting so that the forum doesn't transform it into a puddle of vomit. Oh well.

1. Seems pretty standard I think, especially if he 3bets too much OOP against you. Flop and turn I like - can we get away with sizing bigger OTR or are we being particularly balanced or something here?

Stacks were really awkward in that spot. That's largely on me for not planning the hand better (I'm usually sharper than that). I just really thought I would drag the pot ott. Considering I didn't feel bluffing the river would get enough folds to be profitable, it's fair to say that I might have missed some value otr. Good comment.

3. I'm gonna be honest right here and say I haven't the slightest clue about what's going on in this hand. Are we 4betting for value? Betting the flop as a semibluff? Shoving as a pure bluff? Ahem. Anyway, well done I suppose, though at any game I've ever played in this would lose me a stack and a half every time :)

1 vote for spewtastic buffoonery and 0 so far for masterful brilliance. For some reason I think this poll will end up more lopsided than if Bin Laden ran for the U.S. presidency.

I don't feel there's much to discuss preflop. Maybe to pick at sizing a bit given stacks. Don't want to comment too much before anyone else gets a chance to rip on me a bit.

I wanted to jokingly apologize in my post for posting online hands in the live thread, but then you posted that hand and I refrained or it would've looked like I was making a dig at you personally. Heh.

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sexy ^

Thoughts?

I've played a ton of live, and rarely do you see 3 barrel bluffs at 1-2/3. That being said, your opponent they way you describe him, I probably call here to, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see ak. For some reason live, i have noticed people love min raising ak, more then any other hand. He could of had something else of course, but besides bluffs that looks most likely.

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Crazy hand, glad it worked out I definitely fold the flop. I'm sure the bb was amazed with your hand lol.

2. bet/folding 100% vs this type of villain, I really don't see him bluffing on this board texture on the river after you fire a third barrel. I'm betting 90-95 on the river. Your sizing looks good.

3. Hand 3 just looks to far out for me to offer insight, you have to know your villain to be putting on this type of play, and tbh 90%+ of the time your going to be putting your money in bad here.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitely prefer betting river in hand 2 over check calling or anything, all them missed draws.

Hand 3 is ballsy but i understand the thought process, nice

pocketehs

pocketehs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitely prefer betting river in hand 2 over check calling or anything, all them missed draws.

Hand 3 is ballsy but i understand the thought process, nice

What is the thought process? Make it look like we have middle pairs so that it's nearly impossible for him to stack Ax hands and like 22-66?

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems a couple of lines in my post got joined together while I was trying to fix the formatting so that the forum doesn't transform it into a puddle of vomit. Oh well.

Stacks were really awkward in that spot. That's largely on me for not planning the hand better (I'm usually sharper than that). I just really thought I would drag the pot ott. Considering I didn't feel bluffing the river would get enough folds to be profitable, it's fair to say that I might have missed some value otr. Good comment.

1 vote for spewtastic buffoonery and 0 so far for masterful brilliance. For some reason I think this poll will end up more lopsided than if Bin Laden ran for the U.S. presidency.

I don't feel there's much to discuss preflop. Maybe to pick at sizing a bit given stacks. Don't want to comment too much before anyone else gets a chance to rip on me a bit.

I wanted to jokingly apologize in my post for posting online hands in the live thread, but then you posted that hand and I refrained or it would've looked like I was making a dig at you personally. Heh.

I appreciate the bolded, hehe. :D

I also don't think it's the live thread, just "low-stakes," and this seemed as good a place as any to try to force people to analyze my 1/3 hands. I just happen to have posted more hands than most people I guess. Hopefully this thread will gain some new life! I see lots of potential here.

Where does low stakes "technically " (if there is such a thing in this area), begin online? 100nl? I've seen a couple different numbers thrown around and I am now somewhat confused. :eek:

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well SSNL is generally 100NL and 200NL. Some people lump in fiddy with those too but they're wrong and should feel badly for it. 50NL and w/e else would be fine in this topic though imo so that we don't need to bump it off the 2nd page every other week.

Last edited: