i would rather be a donkey than a nit

E

eham5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on how deep you're playing. If you're super deep, being a nit is much less profitable than being a donkey simply because of implied odds.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on how deep you're playing. If you're super deep, being a nit is much less profitable than being a donkey simply because of implied odds.

This makes as much sense as signing Stuart Downing for your 'dream team'.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually eham5 is right, he just worded it horribly. Nits lose money by not widening their range as they get deeper.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nits make money if there are enough fish at the table - table selection

If a nit sits with enough decent regs they will get owned.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the link, i forgot all about that thread.

Actually eham5 is right, he just worded it horribly. Nits lose money by not widening their range as they get deeper.
This is ring tables, not MTT's.. MTT's play is not the same as Ring play, if your just a MTT player you will get your a$$ handed to you on a ring table. :p

How sure are you???
Once you stack a Reg/Lag player a few times they back off or leave the table.
I've seen Regs at 2NL with stacks of $7.00 to $10.00 who are nits.
And as FP saidA Nit's Apology (why tight is right for me) - Poker Forums
Rake.
This hopefully shouldn't require a lot of explaining on my part, but I'll say it anyway: The more hands you play, the more rake you will pay. This is not a hugely significant contribution, but rake plays a major role at small stakes games and will eat a large part of your win-rate. If I add more hands to my range, it's not enough that they are theoretically profitable versus my opponents, they need to theoretically profitable versus my opponents after rake has been taken out.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a nit infested forum Alfie. you came to the wrong neighbourhood to make such a crazy claim.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there was once a guy here who tried to explain to us that he folds AJ utg in a 6 max game, cash game that is.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is simply not true. Yeah, every donkey can get "lucky", and sometimes he can play right by accident. However, over any period of time, the donkey is playing at a significant disadvantage. Those memories of that "big night" will keep him coming back and back, sometimes for years, to lose everything he won plus a whole lot more.

Nits lose profitability by leaving way too much value on the table, even when playing the nutz or near nutz. I've seen them flop fulls, and make a series of itty-bitty bets and drag tiny pots. Or they finally make that big move, only to see their opponents drop their cards like they were on fire. Nits will not go for thin value, they won't bluff even if the situation cries out for a bluff, they play a very FoF style that's easily exploited by those who're paying attention and rob them blind every time a dry board flops. I've played with nits who never show down a single pair, win or lose. ID someone like that, and you can play them off even TPTK when they're holding Big Slick. It's just a question of finding a bet bigger than their resolve to call.

Nits don't win much, but neither do they lose much. The long term won't be as unkind to a nit as it will be to a donk.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is ring tables, not MTT's.. MTT's play is not the same as Ring play, if your just a MTT player you will get your a$$ handed to you on a ring table. :p

Who said anything about MTTs? I'm going to assume you misread my post. Tournaments couldn't have less to do with deepstack cash games.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"If a nit sits with enough decent regs they will get owned."

-------------------------

How sure are you???

Once you stack a Reg/Lag player a few times they back off or leave the table.
I've seen Regs at 2NL with stacks of $7.00 to $10.00 who are nits.
And as FP saidA Nit's Apology (why tight is right for me) - Poker Forums

A decent reg will not back off or leave the table after getting stacked a few times, come to that a decent player at 2nl will not get stacked "a few times"

Besides there are no decent regs at 2nl, hence why the nits will profit day in day out.

Its just the rest of the players are so ca ck it makes them appear decent.

When in fact all the regs at 2nl have learnt is how not to spew post flop (and even that is debatable)

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't being a donkey at poker basically mean you're a bad player? Given this definition, who would want to be a bad player compared to anything that isn't as bad? Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Can we have a common thread, like the rigtard one, where all posts moaning about not being able to beat donkeys/nits/stations at the micros can be safely collected and then forgotten about :)

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
ok ...I so used the term nit last night in chat and had no idea the person (Alfie) was using it to mean this.....I apologize to MM .....I think nit means something cute and endearing clearly you have all tainted this word to the point of my now never use file.....MM nit is not one of your most endearing qualities.......and shame on you Alfie for destroying a word I enjoyed using. I used to like donkeys before poker too...there I said it and I mean it

G

gotchips

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey alfie i agree i think you need to have a little bluff in your game, pokerstars said it best "patience and well timed agression"

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who said anything about MTTs? I'm going to assume you misread my post. Tournaments couldn't have less to do with deepstack cash games.
I've not seen a deepstack cash game on any site, since BF.

A decent reg will not back off or leave the table after getting stacked a few times, come to that a decent player at 2nl will not get stacked "a few times"

Besides there are no decent regs at 2nl, hence why the nits will profit day in day out.

Its just the rest of the players are so ca ck it makes them appear decent.

When in fact all the regs at 2nl have learnt is how not to spew post flop (and even that is debatable)
So you don't count if someone has played at a higher limit, who has withdrawn their BR and has started back at 2NL to rebuild their BR again as a Decent player?:confused:

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another swing and a miss for Luco :(

Ok so you're OTB facing a raise and you know the villain. Your calling range is X when effective stacks are 100bb. Does your calling range change when effective stacks are 50bb? 130bb? 150bb? 200bb? Because it should.

It's not about sitting down with more than 100bb but you'll often end up with more than 100bb and will therefore play some pots where effective stacks are >100bb.

That is literally all I was trying to say but I think I'll just stop now.

This thread would have more credibility if it was titled 'I'd rather be a LAG than a nit' but it doesn't so I'm out, exit stage right.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, OP you would elect to be a worse player as opposed to a better player ? :s

Not sure why you think nits spoil the game by the way.

Nits & loose players are the easiest of players to play have something really in common. One exploitable style. You basically just do the opposite of what they're doing to make the $$.

You can just steal & steal vs the nits bluff raise lots of wet boards and they WILL fold meaning you still make a profit. You just have to approach them differently. Having a selection of nits & loose donkeys at the table is the best case scenario.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've not seen a deepstack cash game on any site, since BF.

So you don't count if someone has played at a higher limit, who has withdrawn their BR and has started back at 2NL to rebuild their BR again as a Decent player?:confused:
Rare as hens teeth, and if thats the case they will probably be at 2nl for about a fortnight before going up to 4nl, 10nl and onwards. Hardly a "reg"

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

If a decent nit doesn't find any lagtards/spewmonkeys he'll change to another table.

Btw those who know me know I'm a nit/TAG/LAG depending on situation.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another swing and a miss for Luco :(

Ok so you're OTB facing a raise and you know the villain. Your calling range is X when effective stacks are 100bb. Does your calling range change when effective stacks are 50bb? 130bb? 150bb? 200bb? Because it should.

It's not about sitting down with more than 100bb but you'll often end up with more than 100bb and will therefore play some pots where effective stacks are >100bb.

That is literally all I was trying to say but I think I'll just stop now.

This thread would have more credibility if it was titled 'I'd rather be a LAG than a nit' but it doesn't so I'm out, exit stage right.

I dont think there would be many comments if it was 'I'd rather be a lag than a nit'......hence the donkey part,,,,,,to get a reaction my friend...stir it into a conversation......so stick your credible title up your ass

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I Love Nits they're awesome... I was playing today and a guy got called out on his all in and just after he was made an Observer lol he wrote in the chat box "donk" so i'm thinking if we start getting a little more PC what derogatory words will we use then lol

Am i right? I mean we've swapped out words like Moron with Donk lol newbie with nit and so on...

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey guys, i installed my hud yesterday and got to grips with what the stats all mean, and i was surprised at the low numbers of a nit.....omg how can they expect to get action when they do finally decide to bet a hand?.....thanks to the hud i faced about 2 raises in 200 hands by this particular nit and everyone folded, including me.....thanks to my hud......if i never had the hud i would prob have 3 betted as i had ace jack.......im not good at reading players without a hud at the moment because im new and trying to do the best i can, and its a hell of a lot to take in when trying to learn everything at once....

but anyway, how do nits make money?.....they never bet and when they do everyone will respect that bet and fold.....also it must be incredibly boring to be a nit, sitting there folding all the time......i think i would rather be a donkey than a nit tbh atleast it would be more fun

Nit's make money off players like you they throw in some bluff's on small pot's based on their image and take it down,then slow play their set of kings in the blinds when ''YOU'' the donkey keeps betting with bottom pair and people call for the turn flush. If it's a whiff you bet one more time thinking i'm aggressive then they just call heads up weirdly enough and win a big pot. It's not sustainable,but nit is a strategy to imply against people like you as your range is weak 2 pair,nothing bottom pair and if the flush misses or hits they will still just call down your large bets.

Last edited: