i would rather be a donkey than a nit

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would be MUCH better off being a nit than a donk. Very slow but fairly steady.
Being a nit is not nearly as fun, but is obviously much more profitable in the long run. And it seems with the limited availabilty of poker players online, it is hard for me to spot a fish at even the lower limit games. Therefore, I am probably the fish that everyone feeds off of.
:D

4thandinches

4thandinches

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pokerstars should just ban nits, nobody likes them and they offer nothing to the game.
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but I deplore Double Ups for this reason: it rewards nit play at the expense of an aggressive player who does most of the dirty work in thinning out the table.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but I deplore Double Ups for this reason: it rewards nit play at the expense of an aggressive player who does most of the dirty work in thinning out the table.
...or, it's nice to have a LAG at the table. They thin the table, and pile the duckets, so's the nit can double up. ;)

-

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try not to let ego get in the way, "I'm no nit, I'm the next Blom/Dwan/whoever!"

We shouldn't try to play one 'style' as such, cos we all know poker is more complicated than that.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They take money from spaz fish who does not pay attention.

Which was a great strategy I employed in 2004/5/6...

But now when most of the players at 10 cent 25 cent have HUDs up and running and know first three posehow to adjust to nittiness, you are actually making it quite impossible to become a winning player at real stakes by playing overly nitty.

Believe me; ive been there and reinforcing nitty habits isnt productive.

Wanna be a nit...be a nit in three positions in FR or 2 at 6 max....mmm, more like 1....

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to be a nit in micro im not but dey get the money

B

baby kahuna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont let the terminology define you. Good players use the nit and donkey charecteristic to push their advantage. Sometimes you have to be a nit. Sometimes its good to play the donkey. We've all done it. Good playing is much more than whose a nit and whose a donkey.

pokerchris

pokerchris

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Change the title of this thread to "I would rather be a loser than a winner" please.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously though 4 months after making this post and I still feel the same way....I really do not like nits....I've nothing against them personaly, I'm sure they are great people, but I really do think nits spoil the game of poker.........(For themselves)............its fairly easy to play against them unless you are in a tourney and you are getting blinded down and ship it with 1010 and the nit calls......well he's got AA-AK-KK and bam hits the flop......that part annoys the shite out of me....playing them in cash games (2nl) is not really worthwhile....stealing their blinds doesn't amount to much and when a super fish is at the table and nit boy raises pre in LP 'lol' you know you are gonna have to fold the SB.....fishy calls from the BB and gets felted by the nit.....that's annoying.....somebody said poker is supposed to be boring, 'I dont think so, its supposed to be fun' ....well for me it does anyway.....will that make me a losing player.....hell no......lags are the future....not at the micros but in low stakes and tourneys deffo.....there is a hell of a lot of nits on cc....I dislike your style of play very much lol

Last edited:
bz54321

bz54321

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously though 4 months after making this post and I still feel the same way....I really do not like nits....I've nothing against them personaly, I'm sure they are great people, but I really do think nits spoil the game of poker.........(For themselves)............its fairly easy to play against them unless you are in a tourney and you are getting blinded down and ship it with 1010 and the nit calls......well he's got AA-AK-KK and bam hits the flop......that part annoys the shite out of me....playing them in cash games (2nl) is not really worthwhile....stealing their blinds doesn't amount to much and when a super fish is at the table and nit boy raises pre in LP 'lol' you know you are gonna have to fold the SB.....fishy calls the BB and gets felted by the nit.....that's annoying.....somebody said poker is supposed to be boring, 'I dont think so, its supposed to be fun' ....well for me it does anyway.....will that make me a losing player.....hell no......lags are the future....not at the micros but in low stakes and tourneys deffo.....there is a hell of a lot of nits on cc....I dislike your style of play very much lol

LOL and I was going to nit it up in my first league game but now I guess I will go with my normal style.:cool:

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL and I was going to nit it up in my first league game but now I guess I will go with my normal style.:cool:

Hahahaha, nah you won't need to nit it up in the league mate that's for sure lol...always guaranteed to have atleast 8 nits at a league table....but there is new guys this season so I will pm to let you know....

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So let me get this straight, after 4 months you're still playing 2NL and still moaning about nits? Sounds like you need to work on your game. Or move up to where the games are easily beatable owing to complete lack of nits.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So let me get this straight, after 4 months you're still playing 2NL and still moaning about nits? Sounds like you need to work on your game. Or move up to where the games are easily beatable owing to complete lack of nits.

Well for a start I've been playing on 1 table....(100 hands a day) learning the game.....and I've beat 2nl FR but tilted my BR taking shots at 6max.....nits are not a problem for me at cash games.....and I'm learning everyday :)

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair enough. You'll probably find fewer nits at 6max too.

I'm surprised though, cos when I look at a 10NL 6max game for example I would say the most represented player type there is the loose passive.

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but anyway, how do nits make money?.....they never bet and when they do everyone will respect that bet and fold.....also it must be incredibly boring to be a nit, sitting there folding all the time......i think i would rather be a donkey than a nit tbh atleast it would be more fun

You shouldn't prefer being a donkey. Donkeys may have more fun than nits, but nits don't lose anywhere near as much as donkeys. As to how nits make money, that's an easy answer. Most of the people you play with are basically playing group Solitaire. They're not paying attention, not getting a line on other players, not thinking beyond the cards in their own hands.

They don't know Mr. Nit is a nit, and will call with what looks like a decent hand without regard for what Mr. Nit might be holding for him to put in the first raise in a dozen orbits.

Nits also manipulate their table image to disguise the way they really play. If some people are kinda paying attention, nitty players might be able to fool them into thinking they're looser than they really are.

Nits might win a little, leave way too much value on the table by missing thin value, play too predictably to get good hands really paid off. They also aren't gonna rack up losses like a donkey either. Donkeys may have more "fun", but they also pay for that "entertainment".

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously though 4 months after making this post and I still feel the same way....I really do not like nits....I've nothing against them personaly, I'm sure they are great people, but I really do think nits spoil the game of poker.........(For themselves)............its fairly easy to play against them unless you are in a tourney and you are getting blinded down and ship it with 1010 and the nit calls......well he's got AA-AK-KK and bam hits the flop......that part annoys the shite out of me....playing them in cash games (2nl) is not really worthwhile....stealing their blinds doesn't amount to much and when a super fish is at the table and nit boy raises pre in LP 'lol' you know you are gonna have to fold the SB.....fishy calls from the BB and gets felted by the nit.....that's annoying.....somebody said poker is supposed to be boring, 'I dont think so, its supposed to be fun' ....well for me it does anyway.....will that make me a losing player.....hell no......lags are the future....not at the micros but in low stakes and tourneys deffo.....there is a hell of a lot of nits on cc....I dislike your style of play very much lol
Hummm i think you're mad at me from the league game today, i did the old shove from the BB with AK vs Button raise. :)

Even a nit is going to be calling you down and re-raising you, well playing Lag.
Lags are always fun to trap.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
It's as simple as this Nits take Donkeys moneyz

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hummm i think you're mad at me from the league game today, i did the old shove from the BB with AK vs Button raise. :)

Even a nit is going to be calling you down and re-raising you, well playing Lag.

Lags are always fun to trap.

Not at all kid, its something that's been bothering me for awhile, but I suppose last night sort of got me off on a rant....its all good man, you trapped me nicely and hit the flop hard...wp

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like that thread, some food for thought in there. Thanks for posting that Logan!