Are HUDs a necessity in Micro games ?

Latamgrinder

Latamgrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HUDs arent a necesary tool in order to profit from poker regardless of the format you play, of course, they can HELP you to become a much better player but there are tons of players that dont use it and do well and specially not in micros when players are the most exploitable.

alipalip

alipalip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It`s not nesesary to use HUD at microstakes. At this limits ABC poker works properly. BUT! Better to strat using HUD so you can learn it well until you get to higher limits. There the HUD is realy important to find the other players leaks so you can exploit them!
At microstakes it enought to find VPIP/PFR.

P

pm6guy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is good practice because you want to get used to using a HUD because I'm sure you want to move up eventually and they offer an edge

S

szolinskij

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Micro game cash: agressive play or passive? Play jj qq kk aa ak aq aj 10 10 other cards fold?

T

Tomasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hud is necessary , because we must defend before agrresive players and create gameplan of the hand

personally i mark players with Colors + my system notes after the curious , heavy spots

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Huds catch decent players up to good ones.

M

markrh13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got Poker Tracker more because I was interested in being able to analyse and record my own game. The fact it came with a HUD was an added bonus! I do find it helps, but more with confirming decisions I've already pretty much made. For example with deciding whether to steal or C-bet. A few times I've looked at a spot and thought "this is a terrible hand for a steal" (36o or something). Then I'll quickly check stats, see that my opponent has a VPIP even lower than i thought and folds to steal 100% and decide to have a cheeky go. Gets through and I've got an extra BB that I'd have given up on otherwise!

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ISN'T THAT CHEATING???? FOR CHRIST SAKE, YOU'RE GETTING INFORMATION ON YOUR OPPONENT W/O HAVING EVER PLAYED AGAINST THEM..
It's only cheating in the same way that bluffing is cheating.

Just using a HUD at the table won't turn you from a fish into a shark but using all the features that tracking software can give you should help you improve your game, hand analysis, leak identifying etc..

We've all seen the person with the flash sports car or latest superbike that is the worst driver/rider on the road. Having the tool doesn't change a fool into a sage but it makes it easier for the sage to apply their wisdom.

W

walleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I think they are necessary. Everyone else is using them. If you have one why not?

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's only cheating in the same way that bluffing is cheating.

Just using a HUD at the table won't turn you from a fish into a shark but using all the features that tracking software can give you should help you improve your game, hand analysis, leak identifying etc..

We've all seen the person with the flash sports car or latest superbike that is the worst driver/rider on the road. Having the tool doesn't change a fool into a sage but it makes it easier for the sage to apply their wisdom.

this post is correct.

S

sabbywabby7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you'll find that it helps you a lot especially if you're a mass multitabler.
Generally if I play up to 4 tables i dont feel like it would help me a lot but 6+ tables and I think its a must. GL

MrBadAss

MrBadAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i think, most of the micro players play too nit or too lose, huds are very good in the micro players trap cause it really read them much more easier

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've just started playing online at ACR (about 3 weeks) and I'm not using a hud atm. Are there free ones or cheaper ones that work on mac? I am increasing my bankroll without, but would like to eventually move up in stakes and it sounds like it would make it easier to analyze my game for leaks.

Thanks in advance!

bitowl

bitowl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was beating 10nl 6max on WPN at 10bb/100 while 9-12 tabling without a hud over the summer. I was playing in a virtual machine and the hud software would freeze everything up so I couldn't use it. Instead I just took tons of notes on the regs.

It would probably not work out as good with a bigger player pool. A lot of the time I had history and reads on at least 2-3 players on each table and the unknowns were mostly fish.

I did import hand histories and look at peoples stats occasionally. I was actually way off pretty often on my reads. I'd label someone as a fish and then see their stats were totally normal. Sometimes I'd think someone was really aggro preflop and get it in way too light vs them and later see they had a 4% 3bet and only 4bet once over 2k hands.

I always lost my 25nl shots though so take it for what its worth.

jozsef1990

jozsef1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is actually very difficult because a lot of new players who for example (q A2 from AJ or even go all-in before the flop for example, and you have 99 pairs of hands can not be evaded as it should bejutos tournaments it is very difficult to get into the good fortune to be pursued Badges

D

dturner100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've used HUDs off and on since they've come out.

#1 - I've been playing poker since I was a kid, and have seen literally millions of hands. As for starting hand selection there's nothing a hud can do for me.
#2 - odds and outs are made MUCH easier with a hud, but if you rely on the hud 100% you will miss it live and possibly get lazy ( but it can also become a decent learning tool ).
#3 - A HUD with decent features makes note taking much easier. For the first decade of online poker I didn't use the "player note" feature with most sites. I relied on trusty old notebooks and a pen to track regulars.
#4 - If you can't beat micro rings and sng's you should probably solidify your basic fundamentals before you worry too much about a HUD. A hud will help you plug leaks only if you understand why the problem is a leak.
For example if you're forced to fold a mediocre starting hand regularly because the button constantly reraises you a hud will show you percentages that tell you to tighten up middle and early hand selection but it wont really help you understand fully the necessity of positional play or better yet that the guy stealing your calls and min bets knows damn well that position means little or nothing too you.

So I guess I'd say a HUD is in no way cheating. I calculate odds naturally. Those I don't, I've memorized. Those abilities aren't natural for everybody.
Also, a HUD is only going to improve your ability in great manner when you have solid fundamentals, and discipline.

P

patrik6633

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is better for you not to use HUD and concentrate on basics. Hud will only confuse you

V

Vertifight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think nl10+ hud give you really + EV, so if you want to have good bb\100 you must have it

G

Giorgio

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me personally, i can't play anymore without them :)

K

ksidrew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not necessary to have a HUD to be successful at microstakes, but I agree that it will certainly help you identify the fish quicker. It will also tell you exactly what kind of fish they are, loose passive calling station or maniac bluff happy.

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HUD are useless is my opinion less at such low levels , best performed notes on players that you believe has a better level of play others play poker and always earn 123 patience and calm

Top 10 Games