grinding the .01/.02

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well thats not exactly in the bankroll guidelines of 20 buy ins, i mean your technically not even rolled for .01/.02 until 40$

D

davidjames

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest you take your winnings after every session, and never get greedy. My greed for more money resulted in me losing at 2nl for a long time. If you get ahead, you should analyze the situation and if you have any doubt that you might be at risk of losing some of your money, quit and take a break. GL

sheesho

sheesho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just out of curiousity, what bankroll did you start with. i got 5 bucks and dont know if i should start yet

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i did it with like 9$ and got it up to about 70$, but didnt do this at .01/.02...once i got up to about 17 i started playing .05/.10 , even though this was clearly out of my bankroll haha

D

davidjames

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i did it with like 9$ and got it up to about 70$, but didnt do this at .01/.02...once i got up to about 17 i started playing .05/.10 , even though this was clearly out of my bankroll haha

Most of us are guilty of taking shots at higherstakes, just don't make it a habit or it will bite you in the ass.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
haha yea i know, but when you only have 17$...idk lol its not that much if you lose it all

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seriously im going to be firm and hard here! Dont be offended. Why on earth would anyone play 1 cent 2 cent if it isnt just for fun? if you are a good player and playing to make a few dollars like your saying then just move up a few levels. Dont need to play high stakes just go up to the stakes where the money actually matters to you. Youl find when your playing for and risking money that matters you will sub concsiously play better. You may think your playing great at 1 cent 2 cent but the fact your playing for meaningless money suggests your subconsciousness isnt going to be completely focused. Youl make decisions oh its only 4 cent to call, but when thats 50 cent to call its a diff mindset. you have ace king suited somones raised 5 big blinds, another has reraised to 10 big blinds. this stuation youl think ah its only 40 cent whats 40 cent. and make the bad call. But when its 5 dollars youl be making the correct fold. subconcious effects your play. Have to play at some level where the risk is making you play better. Im a winning poker player at the levels i play, but i guarantee ive lost a lot of buy ins when ive played micro because my mindset. SURELY YOU HAVE MORE THAN 50 DOLLARS? DONT YOU WORK? IF NOT THEN SAVE UP MONEY UNTIL ITS WORTH PLAYING. plAYING FOR 2 DOLLARS IS JUST LUDICROUS. If your a good player then you are wasting your talents. Stop playing micros its not for winning its for fun. Get a job Get spare cash then deposit a bankroll worth making money off. Id recommend a 1k bankroll then play as small as you wnat but make it worth playing for.
This advice is manure dont listen to it, who has 1k to play poker with?

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol at ever folding AK suited to a 3bet, 4bet you nit!

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
geez fx needs to post in here with some strats, hes the .01/.02 king haha

TopJimmy99

TopJimmy99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a broke ass college student too, so I play at the lowest possible stakes haha. I started fresh on full tilt with like 15 dollars on my account a couple months ago and I play either microgames or freerolls. If you work hard enough you can grind out some decent money in the private freerolls. Naturally my bankroll's been fluctuating up and down but I'm just shy of 50 bucks right now. Just the other day I made some bucks playin freerolls that I like to use in a little rush poker.

I'll normally buy in to the .02/.05 game with 2-4 dollars and get out when I've doubled my money. Now obviously I don't double my money everytime, but I try to get ahead and get out because once I have a big stack in there I seem to get back luck. I played for hours one night with 5 dollars, I was up all the way over 30 bucks and I guess I started to get greedy. As soon as I started losing money instead of getting out I played harder and ended up losing all but my buy-in, but at least I had fun

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice man, what school you to go to? not to derail thread...

and yea the micro's are all about learning, don't be to bummed if you are having trouble beating them at first

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stick with good sound plays at any level. At the end of the day it is about making good decisions at whatever level you are at.

TopJimmy99

TopJimmy99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice man, what school you to go to? not to derail thread...

and yea the micro's are all about learning, don't be to bummed if you are having trouble beating them at first

I got to George Mason in Virginia, right near DC. How about you?

And yeah the micro's are all about learning and luck I think. I guess people have little respect for the low stakes and they just toss money into the pot on really, really, really, bad calls or raises and they sometimes get very, very, very lucky.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh cool ya, i go to edinboro, its like a small school in northwest Pennsylvania... and even now, only being like 3 months after starting this thread, I realize how much of a donk I was. Just hang around the forum and read in the golden archive, thats how I improved atleast. I'm sure in 3 months I'll look back and think what a donk I am today haha. The Micro's can be super profitable if the right strategies are taken, i.e. dont bluff the calling station, dont go on tilt, etc.

LizaMayra

LizaMayra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with a $35 Bank Roll... I would probably play 4 tables of the 01/02.... and sitting with $1 in each... or maybe $1.20.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with a $35 Bank Roll... I would probably play 4 tables of the 01/02.... and sitting with $1 in each... or maybe $1.20.

you should never really shortstack, always buy in full and have auto top off on so you never dwindle below 100bb

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Since Ive taken a hit to my brm, i'm going back to grinding at the .01/.02 level. What exactly would be a reasonable goal with a 35$ bankroll? I really want to play 4 tables or less, optimally 3 to play my best poker but with these low limits, im not sure if thats enough to turn a profit or not haha

any help from previous grinders would be huge for me

For fun I occassionally play a bit of 2nl . I usually 8-10table it & have alot of fun at it.
Not sure what a 'reasonable goal' would be. The site I've been playing it on I'm running at better than 100bb/100 which is probably pretty insane? (often putting in sessions of an hour or two & running at better than 250bb/100). Have played a few hands on FTP & Stars as well.. but never have a decent winrate on there (more like 8-16bb/100).

Can't really say what a 'reasonable goal' would be because I don't know much about your game. For myself, my goal on there is to have fun mostly but to also try to maximize every penny I can. So basically I use it for fun but the profits have afforded me to play a couple $20+ buyin MTT's per week. I could easily see being able to slowly build up a roll by playing it though.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ya I ended up binking two 135 4$ sngs in the same day about a week after starting this so I never really needed to grind 2nl lol....kind of fun to look back and read the dumb sh** I was posting like 4 months ago

J

joshman1204

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing $2NL for the last few days just to work on my game and get used to using a hud and to better understand the stats in PT3. So far I have 4k hands played with 9.42 BB/100. I know that is a pretty small sample size but these games seem to be fairly easy if you just stick to a decent strategy and dont over think your opponents.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
[squote=eamesy4980;1565004]seriously im going to be firm and hard here! Dont be offended. Why on earth would anyone play 1 cent 2 cent if it isnt just for fun? < possibly as a challenge to themselves.... in an effort to build up an account from a freeroll cash or very small investment? (I know I've done this on a couple of sites. It's also a decent training ground for newer players.... & actually can be decent for some who believe they're decent players but in actuality they aren't. if you are a good player and playing to make a few dollars < depends on what you consider as 'a few dollars'? Also, I believe many are looking at the big picture... the longrun... & are playing to gain experience & become a better player. like your saying then just move up a few levels. Dont need to play high stakes just go up to the stakes where the money actually matters to you. <I've seen some players who'll play a $5 mtt with the same enthusiasm as a $500 mtt (online).. Shaun F'n Deeb comes to mind (as do a few others... ie. kraut). Youl find when your playing for and risking money that matters you will sub concsiously play better. < I think some may actually play worse when they're "thinking about the money".. instead of just focusing on making the best decisions possible for each situation. You may think your playing great at 1 cent 2 cent but the fact your playing for meaningless money suggests your subconsciousness isnt going to be completely focused. < how can you substantiate this claim? (this may ring true for you but I'm really sure it doesn't for many others). Youl make decisions oh its only 4 cent to call, but when thats 50 cent to call its a diff mindset. you have ace king suited somones raised 5 big blinds, another has reraised to 10 big blinds. this stuation youl think ah its only 40 cent whats 40 cent.< this is what makes playing in super micros so profitable.. idiots like this who won't be playing optimally... pretty much makes it 'ez game' & all the more reason to play and make the bad call. But when its 5 dollars youl be making the correct fold.< another easily exploitable situation subconcious effects your play. Have to play at some level where the risk is making you play better.< this obviously has some merit.... if a player isn't going to be playing optimally for the simple fact of not giving a damn.. then they'd obviously need to play at higher buyin levels... but this is often not the case for many micro stakes players. Im a winning poker player at the levels i play, but i guarantee ive lost a lot of buy ins when ive played micro because my mindset. SURELY YOU HAVE MORE THAN 50 DOLLARS? DONT YOU WORK? IF NOT THEN SAVE UP MONEY UNTIL ITS WORTH PLAYING. plAYING FOR 2 DOLLARS IS JUST LUDICROUS. If your a good player then you are wasting your talents. < pretty sure if someone can't beat the micros.. they're likely not a 'good player'Stop playing micros its not for winning its for fun. < I disagree.... I think a newer(ish) player would be way better off to start out at the bottom, put in 10,000 hands 'minimum' & then if they're a proven 'winning player', then gradually move up to higher buyins.... slowly but surely. Get a job Get spare cash then deposit a bankroll worth making money off. Id recommend a 1k bankroll then play as small as you wnat but make it worth playing for< why would you suggest $1K for a bankroll.... & then suggest playing as small as they want?.. makes no sense to me. Instead, why not play as small as they want, if they feel confident that they'd be a winning player at higher buyins, then drop the $1k down on the pokersite?.[/quote]

On some sites I'm rolled decently (never enough really.. anywhere... but 'enough' to play at levels I am okay with)... but on others I have a small bankroll. Currently I don't have methods to move money around from site to site (on some I do but on others I don't). On a few sites I'm only rolled for the small micro buyin levels (for reasons > to be rolled only for some priv. micro buyin MTTs I play in.. leagues, etc.; on others it's because I've won a small sum in a special freeroll or something (ie. 'OFC events', other special promo MTT freerolls (ie. Cardschat Titan Poker, 888Poker, etc.) or won a very small amount from one of the site's regular freerolls (ie. DoylesRoom I won $2...then another $9... & turned that into a workable bankroll by primarily playing the lowest limits & then moving up slowly... on Carbon I won $2.20 & did similiar thing on there... although I chose SNG/MTT on there as opposed to micro cash).
This year I find myself in a situation where I've recently lost motivation for playing what I typically play & so instead now I'm actually (once again) spending some time on some sites playing 2nl & 5nl. I've got a few pokersites with ~$40 to $100 bankrolls so why not make a challenge out of it ("IF" I can be motivate to do so.. and "IF" I know I'll be doing my best to play optimally at all time).. and try to build up a workable roll on them? (well.. because alot of the time I couldn't be bothered... but lately I've actually been able to get myself to do this again... and must say I've been having some 'fun' with it.. something I can't really say I've been having with SNG/MTT play that much lately.
One site I'm spending time on playing the lowest limits is 888Poker (& again.. from an initial 'freeroll cash' which came from a Cardschat game). I've now played probably ~ 10,000 hands on there now (& still playing 2nl.. & some 6nl.. occasionally 10nl.. but by far mostly just 2nl (I actually seem to profit more in a 2hr. session of 2nl than I do at 10nl & the reason for this is because they just play sooooo bad & I'm easily able to 10-12 rable this.. & typically I'm not a cash game player). It's rare that I have a session on there that I'm not at 50bb/100,.. sometimes 'ALOT' more. I'd say that 50bb/100 is lower than what's typical for me on there (not exactly sure what I'm at 'overall'... but it might be closer to 75bb/100). Out of 20sessions I've had only two losing sessions.. & both were close to break-even.
Would I expect a new player to run like this.... obviously not but FOR SURE they can run with a decent expectation if they put in a bit of time learning the game & I believe these tables can give them a start.
I guess in other words.... > I think it can be very worthwhile for a newer(ish) player to put in some time at the lowest limits. Whether that be for learning the game, having some fun or in an effort to slowly build a bankroll & move up in limits.

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played 2nl on Full Tilt for 113 days. In that time I was dealt 211,027 hands and won $ 212.57.

I think every new Poker Player should start at 2nl. If you cannot beat 2nl then you have no shot at higher stakes. Starting at 2nl teaches you humility, patience and emotional discipline. It teaches you how to manage tilt. It allows you to learn how to use a HUD and play multiple tables simultaneously. You can practice your hand reading skills and figure out an opening hand range that works for you. Most importantly you can learn how to build and manage a bankroll.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yea but the play at 2nl is completely different than actual poker...the best strategy would be deposit 200$ and play 10nl....but obv, not everybody has that money so thats what 2/5 nl is for

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For fun I occassionally play a bit of 2nl . I usually 8-10table it & have alot of fun at it.
Not sure what a 'reasonable goal' would be. The site I've been playing it on I'm running at better than 100bb/100 which is probably pretty insane? (often putting in sessions of an hour or two & running at better than 250bb/100). Have played a few hands on FTP & Stars as well.. but never have a decent winrate on there (more like 8-16bb/100).

Can't really say what a 'reasonable goal' would be because I don't know much about your game. For myself, my goal on there is to have fun mostly but to also try to maximize every penny I can. So basically I use it for fun but the profits have afforded me to play a couple $20+ buyin MTT's per week. I could easily see being able to slowly build up a roll by playing it though.

You should make a video PO of you playing 4 tables and discuss some strategy...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You should make a video PO of you playing 4 tables and discuss some strategy...

I don't know how to make a video, lol. But I know how to make moniezz at 2nl, lol.
I worked it out last night as I was trying to figure out how the rewards/bonus thing works at the site I've been playing it on (888Poker).

I've played ~10,000 hands & have won just under 100buyins. From reading threads with so many naysayers, telling newer players to not bother playing 2nl tables, I've actually been considering making up some kind of a personal challenge. Not sure about the parameters of it yet (partly cuz today to be honest I was getting bored with it & ran like crap, breaking-even after 500hands). Also, not sure if my schedule will give me the free time to do it this week & not sure if I'll be motivated next week, lol. What I was considering was > $250 in 1 wk., playing on only 2nl tables & never playing on more than 10 tables at one time (I honestly think it's possible to win more than this but am believing that $250 is very attainable).

Maybe if we get a few more naysayers on here I'll give it a shot. (might go play a few hundred hands now, lol.. it's addictive!).

As far as strategy goes... I defnitely play alot differently on the 2nl tables at 888Poker. It's +EV to get in quite a few pots with spec. hands (ie. AXs, all pp's, SC's, etc.) because players will very often pay you off in full. A few other things too.... but can't let it all out here ;)

Oh yah, & I'm not using a HUD.

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know how to make a video, lol. But I know how to make moniezz at 2nl, lol.
I worked it out last night as I was trying to figure out how the rewards/bonus thing works at the site I've been playing it on (888Poker).

I've played ~10,000 hands & have won just under 100buyins. From reading threads with so many naysayers, telling newer players to not bother playing 2nl tables, I've actually been considering making up some kind of a personal challenge. Not sure about the parameters of it yet (partly cuz today to be honest I was getting bored with it & ran like crap, breaking-even after 500hands). Also, not sure if my schedule will give me the free time to do it this week & not sure if I'll be motivated next week, lol. What I was considering was > $250 in 1 wk., playing on only 2nl tables & never playing on more than 10 tables at one time (I honestly think it's possible to win more than this but am believing that $250 is very attainable).

Maybe if we get a few more naysayers on here I'll give it a shot. (might go play a few hundred hands now, lol.. it's addictive!).

As far as strategy goes... I defnitely play alot differently on the 2nl tables at 888Poker. It's +EV to get in quite a few pots with spec. hands (ie. AXs, all pp's, SC's, etc.) because players will very often pay you off in full. A few other things too.... but can't let it all out here ;)

Oh yah, & I'm not using a HUD.

if it makes you take up the challenge I'll happily be a naysayer!!

Serioulsy though - give it a shoot and start a thread, think it will be very popluar.