grinding the .01/.02

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
haha no no ive been playing .02/.05 and i've got about 47$ still in the account...i dont know why or remember posting that? lol

wrung24

wrung24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah playing under the influence maybe isn't a good idea either lol

FereZ

FereZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha. Goodluck to all what you are going to play.
It's also hard to me to stick in brm. :p

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rolls at 81$ today, mainly due to the 21$ rakeback check lol

twoturntablez

twoturntablez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone got some advice for a player who just built a bankroll from zero to $130?

Im ok at tourneys, and do ok at live games, in the past have wasted my BR, then worked to build from nothing, but this time $130 should be enough to start with, what im wondering is should i buy some software with some of the money, I really wish to play tournaments, my strategy is far stronger than cash table.

E

eamesy4980

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seriously im going to be firm and hard here! Dont be offended. Why on earth would anyone play 1 cent 2 cent if it isnt just for fun? if you are a good player and playing to make a few dollars like your saying then just move up a few levels. Dont need to play high stakes just go up to the stakes where the money actually matters to you. Youl find when your playing for and risking money that matters you will sub concsiously play better. You may think your playing great at 1 cent 2 cent but the fact your playing for meaningless money suggests your subconsciousness isnt going to be completely focused. Youl make decisions oh its only 4 cent to call, but when thats 50 cent to call its a diff mindset. you have ace king suited somones raised 5 big blinds, another has reraised to 10 big blinds. this stuation youl think ah its only 40 cent whats 40 cent. and make the bad call. But when its 5 dollars youl be making the correct fold. subconcious effects your play. Have to play at some level where the risk is making you play better. Im a winning poker player at the levels i play, but i guarantee ive lost a lot of buy ins when ive played micro because my mindset. SURELY YOU HAVE MORE THAN 50 DOLLARS? DONT YOU WORK? IF NOT THEN SAVE UP MONEY UNTIL ITS WORTH PLAYING. plAYING FOR 2 DOLLARS IS JUST LUDICROUS. If your a good player then you are wasting your talents. Stop playing micros its not for winning its for fun. Get a job Get spare cash then deposit a bankroll worth making money off. Id recommend a 1k bankroll then play as small as you wnat but make it worth playing for.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well i dont exactly have 1k just laying around, but if youd like to give me it id be happy to play with. Im kind of a broke college kid and I have other things to be paying for, ie school and yes i have a job, i'd rather get a degree than be able to play higher level poker. Maybe youve never heard of bankroll management? If i had 1k sitting around, then yea id probably deposit it, but i'm trying to work my way up on blood sweat and tears. (believe me, theres plenty of all 3 at the .01.02 level)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seriously im going to be firm and hard here! Dont be offended. Why on earth would anyone play 1 cent 2 cent if it isnt just for fun? if you are a good player and playing to make a few dollars like your saying then just move up a few levels. Dont need to play high stakes just go up to the stakes where the money actually matters to you. Youl find when your playing for and risking money that matters you will sub concsiously play better. You may think your playing great at 1 cent 2 cent but the fact your playing for meaningless money suggests your subconsciousness isnt going to be completely focused. Youl make decisions oh its only 4 cent to call, but when thats 50 cent to call its a diff mindset. you have ace king suited somones raised 5 big blinds, another has reraised to 10 big blinds. this stuation youl think ah its only 40 cent whats 40 cent. and make the bad call. But when its 5 dollars youl be making the correct fold. subconcious effects your play. Have to play at some level where the risk is making you play better. Im a winning poker player at the levels i play, but i guarantee ive lost a lot of buy ins when ive played micro because my mindset. SURELY YOU HAVE MORE THAN 50 DOLLARS? DONT YOU WORK? IF NOT THEN SAVE UP MONEY UNTIL ITS WORTH PLAYING. plAYING FOR 2 DOLLARS IS JUST LUDICROUS. If your a good player then you are wasting your talents. Stop playing micros its not for winning its for fun. Get a job Get spare cash then deposit a bankroll worth making money off. Id recommend a 1k bankroll then play as small as you wnat but make it worth playing for.

You're recommending someone who has lost all but $35.00 of their bankroll to save up $1,000 to risk because they will subconsciously play better at higher levels? This is your hard and serious approach to poker advice? Hope you don't get offended but SURELY YOU CAN OFFER BETTER ADVICE THAN THAT. Hey, no offense intended but reading this is disingenuous. Not to mention the assumptions of his employment or financial status.

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would disregard this post.

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your taking the right approach. Play only enough table that allow you to think the hand through and make the right desicion. Even though thats not "Grinding".

Learning the game at 2nl is like cheap college. I dont mean learning preflop-hand strength, I mean the game. And you cant do that Grinding ANY stakes. Besides, as an afterthought, Grinding 2nl just sounds silly.

Take it from me, I had to learn this the hard way.

GL

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eamesy4980....

I think playing 2nl is good practice to separate your self and the money and look at it all in terms of big blinds. It can work both ways. If you play too high then you might play with scared money and not be able to push the action when you're supposed to and then the opposite is true, like you said, if you play too low you might play too loose. The key is to play the game right no matter what money is at stake.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh crap sorry i used too many toes to count on :D

WhiteYoke

WhiteYoke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi all,

i'm new here and i also started playing micro-stakes to learn discipline and BRM.

i play at Titan Poker NLH .01/.02 games. i noticed a lot of players at these limits are playing around 10 or more tables. just wondering why they do that. are they trying to clear bonus, should i avoid them or can i exploit them, because i think if they are good why would they play at the lowest limit?

sorry if i posted my question in a wrong place, like i said i'm new here

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just conducted an experiment; I opened up 8 2/5 NL tables and decided to play a specific strategy;

limp with any pp 22-99, any weak suited Ace, suited connector or broadway

raise with AA-TT, AKs-AJs, AK

fold all rag aces

play all pairs for overpairs or sets or check/ fold
play all suited Aces & Kings for top pair or 4 flushes or check/ fold
play all SC's for OESD or Flush draws or c/f

results: 347 hands, earnings $ 3.55 or 10.73 BB/ 100 hands

of course this in no way felt like Poker, more like Bingo. Got all in with KK and lost to QQ (made a 4 card Diamond Flush on river) and JJ vs AJ (Ace on turn) but I shrugged it off like a lab rat pressing for more pellets as each table popped up on the screen.

Is this what people do?

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play well in live games, I'm just trying to beat online poker as it seems more difficult than live game (to me atleast) I really want to save up
200$ and deposit it and then play the .05/.10 seeing as I have success in that limit (about 1.5 bbs over 7,000ish hands?) but idk if thats the correct move at this point haha...
and to fx..

yea pretty much thats how it goes at these low tables, which is why I want to play at a level where my skill can actually give me a little advantage haha

3BeTmEplz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play well in live games, I'm just trying to beat online poker as it seems more difficult than live game (to me atleast) I really want to save up
200$ and deposit it and then play the .05/.10 seeing as I have success in that limit (about 1.5 bbs over 7,000ish hands?) but idk if thats the correct move at this point haha...
and to fx..

yea pretty much thats how it goes at these low tables, which is why I want to play at a level where my skill can actually give me a little advantage haha

This is a typical misconception of the average online NLHE player.
Playing NL2 is perfect when you're new to the intricate and complicated world of online poker.

One of the hardest things to learn about, is variance. Its easy to look at some articles and ask a few questions, but only playing online for an extended period of time and losing money, will teach you the true nature of high variance games that are the micro's.

Its best to start at NL2 to learn how to take advantage of tracking software and figure out how you like to use it. Also, reading some books and watching video's and then practicing the techniques and strategy at NL2 is cheaper than playing NL10 obviously.

If you are lucky enough to be well off, then play NL4. The games are a little more advanced and not as ridiculous. Only thing is NL2 is more ammusing :p

Play 20k hands of NL2/NL4 and study books, video's and read strategy online. Utilise poker forums by posting your true thoughts and feelings and never lie to yourself. Post lots of hands and never be afraid to say something stupid and also it is just as important to accept constructive critism.

Dont always take what people say too seriously though. Think for yourself and see if what someone has said makes sense. If it does, think some more and begin to experiment and adapt your game.

Experience is more important than studying but you need to know the fundementals and keep improving/adapting them to your preference. Trying to emulate someone else's thought process is a futile endevour.

GL+HTH

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have found grinding at low levels no good without rakeback or bonus. Good training but slow growth. Find a game you can beat and knock it in the head.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just moved to 2NL on Stars to rebuild my roll (was playing 25NL), finding it pretty tedious but easy...

I've got a roll of $47, I've taken to opening as many tables as I can leaving ~$5 in my roll (so 9 tables), when I double up I leave if there are no fish left and join 2 new tables, repeat :)

tarinoidenkertoja

tarinoidenkertoja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just moved to 2NL on Stars to rebuild my roll (was playing 25NL), finding it pretty tedious but easy...

I've got a roll of $47, I've taken to opening as many tables as I can leaving ~$5 in my roll (so 9 tables), when I double up I leave if there are no fish left and join 2 new tables, repeat :)

That s the strategy, though i prefer to play lesser tables but try focus on exploiting at 100 % all the fishes from every spot

B

bloodvodka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I log into 4 tables of 0.02Nl for the min(ya I know, its sacrilege). Play supertight abc. People are less likely to shove bluff on me if I have a small stack. Also it gives me a chance to accept an all-in raise that happens so frequently at these lower levels.

Im obviously an amateur but im just sharing what works for me.;)