azteca6

azteca6

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
No, never, if you don't go straight to bed, it's too risky. The best thing you can do is AA or KK, but AK only when there are two at the table who can pay and one of them is in the blind. Otherwise, don't just wait for the flop or the up. a little but all in never..

but if you are too risky without fear of success Papa:p

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have many times, and have had great luck, but its certainly not guaranteed!

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

i got a question, should you call an All In Preflop with AKs or should you fold (In Cashgames) ?The risk is high that the opponent got AA. He could even win with JJ, QQ or any lower Pair. How do you handle that ?

Greetings
PeteBoy
Hi Pete boy - so many other factors to consider - position! position! and position amongst effective stack sizes and previous bet behaviour - AK most of the time is going to be a flip at worst against other hands like small or medium pocket pairs and yes there is the risk that the all in is someone with a premium pair who is hoping that another player at the table has AK like you or lesser hands - pot control is worth noting here - is it worth the call?

I have played a lot of cash games especially live and the majority of the time when i have been faced with this situation, my decision to call the all in has been based on all of the above factors, if i have a read of the player and they are a tight aggressive or nitty player who is known for premium play cards only, i have been known to fold.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hallo,

I have a question, should you call all-in preflop with AK or is it better to fold (in cash games)? There is a high risk that your opponent has AA. He could even win with JJ, QQ, or any younger couple. How do you deal with this?

greetings
Pitboy
I would call all-in with AK only if my opponent has a very short stack and all the other opponents fold.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wont call the all in in a cash game unless the math says i should. Your a 45-55% underdog vs any pair QQ or lower. Unless the odds given are good its not worth the risk.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a complex decision depending on the game type, money involved and so on. I go all in after a quick read on the opponent's and bellow 20bb, if the tournament is a medium - smallish buy-in

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is one of the best hands only preflop, after that it depends.

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wont call the all in in a cash game unless the math says i should. Your a 45-55% underdog vs any pair QQ or lower. Unless the odds given are good its not worth the risk.
That makes no sense; "a 45-55% underdog."

If you win less than 50%, then you're an underdog.

If you win more than 50%, then you're not.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
most of the time i will call if in a good position

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

i got a question, should you call an All In Preflop with AKs or should you fold (In Cashgames) ?The risk is high that the opponent got AA. He could even win with JJ, QQ or any lower Pair. How do you handle that ?

Greetings
PeteBoy
As others have said the answer is situational, however, one should consider that AKs is generally a 68% favourite against two random cards, so if I have been running good catching and winning flips prior to the ALL iN situ then yes I am calling, rarely would I Fold AKs. Also if you are not going to play a 68% favourite hand then what would you play???

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
That makes no sense; "a 45-55% underdog."

If you win less than 50%, then you're an underdog.

If you win more than 50%, then you're not.
your 45% to his 55%. I should have made it clearer.

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Nowadays, when the predominant game mode is aggressive, one of the most famous poker hands such as AK has become a hand symbol with which we must reach All in pre-flop quickly. Often, they're not afraid to conflict, whatever the scenario, in an all-in preflop. And to a certain extent it is logical, since it is a very powerful hand, since it has a good chance of winning against all poker hands.

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi,

Greetings
PeteBoy
In one of my first live sessions I folded AKs pre to a 3 bet all in. Ended up folding and the player who called had AJ... all in player had AT. Would have scooped a nearly $1000 pot. Never forgetting that hand.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on opponent and situation. I would prefer to be the one shoving since I could get something like 99 to fold.
If AK is suited, then I am more willing to call.

Hard to say, I have both folded and called in such a situation.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
AKs is the best non-pair hand.

With all hands except AA and KK has a decent equity. For 100bb stack I never muck AKs in a heads-up all-in situation no matter what.

azteca6

azteca6

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I don't recommend it, as long as you're the one with the D chip for the spot at the table and they only pay to see the flop one or two before you, so if you pay with everything, you have a better chance of winning from time to time. Even with KK QQ JJ shooting yes, someone goes up too high because of the risk of luck AA:D

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Pretty sure the the AI/math says to go all in with AK

Gotmog1

Gotmog1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Meftly brings AK under chal all inu preflop, so I would not advise.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It depends on the position and the data you have on the rival!

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would go all in if I´m short stacked

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No mate, that's a really bad idea. but you have a 75% win. In cash they mostly run all in strong hands AA KK AK. it's a lucky shot

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
There are quite a few things to consider before deciding to go All In or call an All In with AKs: how your opponent played so far at the table, stack sizes, your position at the table(if there are other people left that can get involved, then AK isn't looking that strong in a multi-way pot), your bankroll and how winning/ losing this hand can influence it...

Still, IMO your 'default' should be to be aggressive with AK(especially if it's suited) as with this hand your opponent has lower chances to have AA or KK and you are either big favorite against other strong hands that some recreational players might just 'gamble' with(AQ, AJ, KQs...), or flip against a pair except AA and KK that you block; don't forget that by being aggressive(if you are the one who went All In), you can make your opponent fold their hand preflop and avoid a flip situation too...

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Its situational be fair, factor in game type, ICM, player position, stack size etc,

R

Ripelnet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
depends on stack and villain