Folding A's pre-flop

T

thebiatch22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with ace ace preflop i dont think you should push all in cause you will scare off what could end up being alot of chips for you i like to raise it enough like maybe 3 times the blinds and than see the flop check it to them and than allow them to bet and than raise it or push it all in seems to get more chips from more players than runnin them off preflop

L

LankanSoulja

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would have the odds and favour to go all in with that. Its the best starting hand, what can beat you preflop really? The big stack would probably much rather be the one putting you all in and wouldn't want to be calling an all in.

P

Phil922

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is it just me, or is the example missing some info? like the blinds, and position and image of player.

i would never consider folding AA in any tournament that isnt a SAT. I play to win not to try and fold my way up the pay scale. As Doyle Brunson says "Its called poker, boys, not solitaire"

T

teksmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think folding is an option unless you make a big bet and everyone calls. Then your odds go down and you might be justified in folding if there is a possibility of one of the other players being knocked out and the flop scares you.

H

headtrip13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm all in

Need to play this had like it's meant to be played, I don't worry about what may happen, got the best hand pre and will move with it

SystEmsuX

SystEmsuX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not folding aces in this scenario, if only because it looks dumb. wsop final table, televised: you make a redonkulous laydown. Have fun living that one down.

Let's say you do make the fold...

Scenario 1) turns out you would've lost, and now every poker forum on the internets has to be subjected to silly debates about laying down Aces preflop

Scenario 2) turns out you would've won. Now nearly every poker player alive is convinced you're an ass.

Go FTW.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding AA Preflop at WSOP FT

Salex77, You should study RickH2005 notes above. I agree with everything he said and I would like to add one thing. A $ 150,000 fourth prize is not going to set anyone up for life. However, $1.5 million would be a different story. Phil Hellmuth will turn over in his grave, once he is dead God forbid, if anyone ever folds AA at the WSOP Main Event Final table. You have to play for the win, the big money and the title.:)

S

simonb

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i must say i have laid down AK and JJ and less to solid player when i feel im not in a position to play them but pocket aces that is a no brainer.

T

tjyff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should just go all in and take the blinds if you are really that scared. Don't let anybody limp in and you have a much better chance. And if someone calls, you have advantage so don't sweat it. Hopefully you don't get unlucky, but you'll never win anything if you don't take risks.

kadafi

kadafi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you serious????/ Folding AA preflop? NEVER. actually maybe not never. the ONLY time i would fold aces is if I was in the BB and EVERYONE in front of me went all in.

Surely thats what you want when you have a monster.

K

kknutt17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The flush is my arch nemesis. . .if the flush draw is possible. . .I might just fold that hand away. . .I never seem to have a good time with pocket AA. In five out of six pocket AA hands I have played in the last week I have lost, winning only one because I drew four of kind. . .I hate the bullets.

I would agree though, that perhaps this is sensible; still the amount of opportunities to have the hand jammed up it might be more reasonable to simply fold.

TiltMonkey999

TiltMonkey999

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Point

you absolutely need to take a shot.. if not on AA, then when???

Seriosuly..if you wont play AA then what will you play?? hands like that are hardly dealt and with the stakes so high..And your in 2nd place..You have to play strong and take as many hands as you can..This is just gives the chip leader more power and the ability to bully everyone around..Playing like this will get you nowhere..Especially to the WSOP final table..Think about what your saying..80% to double up..I like those chances..
Good Post
Take Care
Ray

L

lukester22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play for first. That means if you have aces never ever ever fold.

J

jtberrym

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play them

You have to play the best hand in the game!! If you lose you lose but thats life. It is still a nice win and at least you can say you lost with the best hand which is all you can do. I got sixth place recently in a freeroll and ended u pwith 15 bucks rather that 1st or snd place. I had aces and bet out big and the chip leader called my bet and hit a three on the flop...he had A 3....great call to my pre=flop raise I know...so i bet big on the flop and he calls...lol..and then he hits another three on the turn....i pause and then go all in and he calls turning over the A 3...made me sick....wtf ever though...thats life and I got my money in good with the best hand and got sucked out on...you cant play scared...and I was not disappointed with my play...crap happens.

Sardonix

Sardonix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not folding aces i dont giva **** im pushing my chips in the middle everytime bubble or not i don't care i'm not folding them preflop no way. 80% of the time im going to win so if i had a dice that i could bet on hitting a 5 80% of the time i'm gonna bet on the five 100% of the time. If i lose i lose but i got my money in good what else can you do? NOTHING

Y

Yankees5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even if u get knocked out wiith AA..at least you ended your tournament on the best pre flop hand? you cannot be mad about that..idiotic to fold them.

M

mundybags1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is the most rediculous thing that i have ever heard and pretty sure that is not the sinario that is talking about. i am sure that the two short stacks go all in and the chip leader calls. and then it is your action with AA. then he says is a good time to fold. not when you are first to act.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pay attention to the fact that first place gets more than twice what 2nd place gets. That's a big deal. If you get dealt aces and you're worry about getting drawn out on, just play them aggressively. Get people to commit a lot of their chips or just get out of the way, but I really can't see folding aces preflop in this situation.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you were at the WSOP final table 1st prize was $1.5m, 2nd was $700k, 3rd was $400k, 4th was $150k.
you are in second place with 50000 chips, 3rd and 4th have about 25000 chips each, the chip leader has 200000 chips.
you are dealt AA. You are first to act. He suggests youcould fold because
The chip leader can call and take you out hitting trips, straight, flush, etc.
On top of this, because the pot odds are there, one of the short stacks might call, reducing your winning chances.
Effectively, one or both of the other two guys behind you sit and watch you go out and move up $250k and $550k. you lose $550k.

That is roughly how it goes. Two points I would make
Mr Sklansky is a more experienced player than me, so I won`t argue - in the scenario above I agree.
Some of us might have seen AA pre flop busted?
I also disagree that this is a negative move. If someone said to me "I`ll guarentee u $100k now, or, on one throw of a dice, ifyou hit a six I will give you $300k" I would thank him for the $100k and go book a holiday!!!

I would argue than rather than it being negative, it is sensible!!!

Just noticed something!!!

This thread has been around the houses so I did not read it in depth. The key is, in this thread, You are first to act. We don`t know what the blinds are, but if they are 5k or more, I am pushing all in.

The reason is that the 2 short stacks are probably not gonna call and I doubt the big stack would call off 1/4 of their stack on a wing and a prayer.

I think you will find that the example given by Sklansky is when u r last to act and the others are all in. That makes it real different.

I also appologise in advance if someone else has already pointed this out.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is the most rediculous thing that i have ever heard and pretty sure that is not the sinario that is talking about. i am sure that the two short stacks go all in and the chip leader calls. and then it is your action with AA. then he says is a good time to fold. not when you are first to act.

I this scenario u can call.

I think, if memory serves me, the scenario is when u r last in chips, everyone goes all in, u fold AA.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you're last in chips and everyone goes all in, you're supposed to fold AA? Can you elaborate? You're not going to get a better chance of taking chips.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you're last in chips and everyone goes all in, you're supposed to fold AA? Can you elaborate? You're not going to get a better chance of taking chips.

Yes, not a problem.

If u r last in chips and everyone goes all in someone will go out. So, using the example given,

You have 250k
Other guy has 250K
other guy has 500K
chip leader has 2000K

They all go all in, u r last to act.

If you fold you will move up one place - if not 2 if the chip leader takes down the pot.

1st prize was $1.5m, 2nd was $700k, 3rd was $400k, 4th was $150k

So, without any risk, u will make a minimum of $350k by folding AA (unless there is a split pot that is unlikely)

If u win the pot u will obviously have 1000K in chips, be in 2nd place, but there could be 3 people left in tourny.

DOes that help?

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the explanation and I can certainly see your logic. To be honest though, I'd still find it very difficult to fold in this situation

GotaLovePoke

GotaLovePoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
150K is a good reason, then again, it depends XD, use the force young padawan!

Wait actualy come to think about it, you have to consider their hands.

If they all went all in, theres 1 pocket, in that case you destroy them, they only got 2 outs, maybe 2 pocket, so thats 4 out in the deck to destroy you.

Finaly, their might be what? AK? AQ ? to call an all in? you got that destroyed 2, its a runner runner.

So really, I think its a good situation to call if you think they all have a strong hand...

Then again you can get killed on the suit or on the straight, but thats quite unlikely, id put chipleader on AK/AQ, smaller stack on KK/QQ, and avg stack on either AK/AQ OR pocket 9 to K, considering that you might have good odds.

Last edited:
smeg

smeg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the question is should you ever fold AA preflop then the answer is simply ..Yes, there are situations where that is the correct decision......boy that was easy

Folding in Poker