Folding A's pre-flop

JCuervo

JCuervo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heck, I'd be so nervous, sweet would bead on my forehead, my hands would be shaking, my feet jumping under the table, and I'd spill all my chips as I push them to the middle. If the other players could not figure out I had pocket A's and fold....then I'm destine lose...Too funny, as I write this I just got pockets A's in a $2.00 Bounty Tournament at Carbon. I raise 6 times the BB, get called by 2 players, pocket 4's and a K 8 suited....9, J, K, comes on flop, I go all in , both call and I end up with a flush on the river to win ...woohoo!

C

Chief_X_LRG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd push so fast the dealer would be sporting two $500 chips for glasses.

I don't believe I can think of one situation where I am folding AA. I know I have a lot to learn about poker, but the day I fold them is the day I walk away from the game.

J

jeffownsyou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well im sick of being dealt pocket aces. Because evertime i push preflop all in with them more than 77% of the time I lose with them. Yes its sad. A few weeks ago before the bubble the chip leader pushed me all in preflop and i decided to fold them. The person in position after me called with pocket 2's and flopped 4 of a kind, along with an ace. I almost knew i was going to lose with the aces when i was dealt them. Its an over rated hand for me. I cashed by the way. 14th.- $780!!!

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well im sick of being dealt pocket aces. Because evertime i push preflop all in with them more than 77% of the time I lose with them. Yes its sad. A few weeks ago before the bubble the chip leader pushed me all in preflop and i decided to fold them. The person in position after me called with pocket 2's and flopped 4 of a kind, along with an ace. I almost knew i was going to lose with the aces when i was dealt them. Its an over rated hand for me. I cashed by the way. 14th.- $780!!!

^results oriented - still a stupid move

P

Phil922

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only time to fold AA preflop would be in a Sattelite, on the bubble with 2 others all in in front of you

i say play to win

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well im sick of being dealt pocket aces. Because evertime i push preflop all in with them more than 77% of the time I lose with them.

What a great and meaningless stat. Let's see the pokertracker evidence.

mrknwitall

mrknwitall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on a variety of factors. The hands the other guys have got including the largest stack holder. You ought to make a huge raise pre-flop (not go all-in) considering the chances of losing out on the event as ur in 2nd place already.. Folding would do you no good! And ye gotta gamble! Cheers :)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh look it's another one of these stupid threads that will doubtless get 4395873496853453 meaningless responses like this one because it's been done to death and beyond.

I also disagree that this is a negative move. If someone said to me "I`ll guarentee u $100k now, or, on one throw of a dice, ifyou hit a six I will give you $300k" I would thank him for the $100k and go book a holiday!!!

I would argue than rather than it being negative, it is sensible!!!

go look up probability and expected value, kthx

T

TheMountainBoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm 8x the BB and then one BB for each person in plus pot so like half my a third my stack probably. If someone calls I have them beat so far it's mine to win and theirs to lose . Let's dance! :) :deal:

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even the best players cash 1/3 or less in a large MTT and only make the final table 50% or less of the times they cash. It doesn't make a difference to me whether I go out first on or the bubble, I still didn't cash.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is somewhat different but I think it applies here as a place to make sure you are not all in Pre Flop. I was playing a $5 double or nothing at pokerstars. I had 1500 chips BB is in for 250 and has 110 left. I get dealt AA and so I decide to try and isolate to the shortstack and what do you know the big stack calles me with A10. Flops a 10 and hits a 10 on the river.

I made a huge mistake here. I should have min raised at best and then waited to see what else would happen. If the Chip leader goes all in at that point and the short stack folds then I have to fold and wait for the next hand which would almlst surely eliminate the shortstack. However it was AA and I felet the others would move out of the way. I am a bad player for thinking that way and they are bad players for not understanding how the double or nothing works.

N

nugganootch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't bring myself to fold pocket aces pre-flop, If a scary board hit and I thought I was beat I could fold them, but pre-flop? Not a chance, I'd push all in and hope the other player had kings and called

A

andyyayo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
U got to play your hand the way you want to play it. I know some people that would rather have 9-10suited than pkt aces in some instances preflop for real. But me Im going for the kill anytime i see weakness or i feel i have an advantage. That could also be that Im an amateur to

J

j0sh1ngU

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow. AA is the best preflop hand, and if you can get all in against the chip leader pre flop, that would be an ideal scenario. simply put, if you are too timid to push with AA preflop at the final table then 1) i'll wonder how you got there in the first place, and 2) you have already conceded that you intend to finish in 4th place.
well said. aa is a pushing hand and if u cant do that then you need to play poker at a lot smaller level than wsop

P

pokerking123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play AA agressively or just min raise to see the flop

lfd tricky

lfd tricky

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When im playing, im playing to win. So if im already deep stacked in 2nd place, im not folding my aces preflop just because im scared to get sucked out on by somebody. Theres only one way to build your stack and that is to play your cards. All you can do is get your money in with the best of it and hope everything works out in the end.

B

beefcake413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree that if you fold it you cement your place. What happens when you fold your AA and you don't see another quality hand and get blinded out? i'm sorry, but for me personally I'll take my chances with AA any day of the week rather then hope I can grind it out.

T

-Th3King-

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
never fold AA preflop not only that but why go all in pre with this just raise enough like 3.5x or so just more than just 3x because u are out of position. 3rd and 4th arent goin to call unless they have something bad ass, if you lose you are now on reship mode goin all in to double back up. Those guys will just be out of the trny and you will now have a higher chance into gettin 1st. The chip leader might call with any 2 because of the odds or whatever but it will bring you to 100k+ with the antes and the blinds.

D

detroit1lion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
folding aa pre flop ? u have to be an idiot hell id be ok with 4th place if i got beat with that

D

dougle14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You would have to be an idiot to fold AA pre-flop, regardless how much money is up for grabs... Put me at the final table with 4 people left and deal me AA please!!!!!

B

bigpick76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not goin to say when and what situations it might be smart to fold AA but theres definately a time and place to fold AA and to the guy that said "no1 ever knows you have them" i tend to disagree it depends on the way you play them to make someone unaware of you holding them but again i say yes theres definately some situations where it may be ""smart" to lay them down even though they are the best 2 cards you can "start" with a LOT of the time they arent the best 2 cards to finish with especially in my case me personally i dont care for them...........GIMME MY J 10 SUITED ANY DAY..........statistically the best hand to "crack" aces

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL!!!!!!!

I love these questions

IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW YOU PLAY, THE TABLE AND YOUR TABLE IMAGE, aswell as any reads you have on the players,chip stacks etc. Illl admit I havent read all the posts so forgive me if the OP had a specific situation in mind

Yes it is a good starting hand, but depending on the situation it maybe better to fold it preflop.If you do not have to risk your tournament life, then why do it?

Anyways thats my 2 cents :p

Pillshark

Pillshark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might decide to play AA in a number of different ways,depending on my own position,or the situation of the game,at that time.
However,I could not bring myself to fold AA pre flop.

J

jaymorin123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is very dumb i think....i think you should go all in and play the hand, because after all you are trying to win first prize aren't you????????

D

drizzt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA win percentage is the best of all starting hands (at least that's my understanding, however bad it may be). If you fold that hand, you're risking that you never see an actual playable hand for another 5-10 hands, after which the blinds have eaten you alive. You could steal, but if you're not willing to push all in with AA, then you're liable to probably not attempt a steal with two, desperate low stacks without a great hand (which AA would be, to steal blinds or steal an entire stack). I mean, from what I understand about strategy late in tournaments, and what I've experienced, people steal a lot of pots with hands that are far worse than AA, things like K7+ suited, A2+suited or A7+os. If you have AA, and raise all in, anyone who calls is probably holding another really good hand such as AJ+ suited (or even off suit, i've seen it plenty of times) A9+ suited, which you have beat bad. If they have pocket pair, and decide their 88 is worthy of an all in stand against someone who first raised all in from bad position, then you can't do anything about a bad play or a very risky play or whatever you want to call it. I'm no final table pro, but I do know statistics and probability well enough to tell you that the chances that any pocket pair has of hitting their trips is the SAME as the chance your AA will hit trips. Nothing in life is a 100% garantee to win or be right, and poker is definitely no different.

I'd rather lose making the right play, than win making the wrong play. Yea yea, people will laugh at me and mention the money, and I agree the money is a huge factor, but to be honest, not only will I probably lose that extra money I won in the long run by making a bad play and winning because of bad or inconsistent play. Yet, the dude who pushed with AA there, and lost 300k because of it, will probably make back all of that money in the long term if he plays consistently well. Not to mention, I'd rather be the guy who was known to lose to a bad beat, then the guy who only won because his bad call was saved by a lucky draw. Reputation is a bit more worthwhile to me than money, because I enjoy playing the game of poker for more than just getting a ton of cash (although the cash does make poker more exciting and rewarding for playing well =P)

Folding in Poker