All in pre with AK

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it would be easier to analyze if you had "good" 3b numbers ie if they had a 20% 3b in that situation over a decent sample size it would be a very easy call, but if their 3b was 2% it would be an easy fold

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To even think about folding against a short stack is just absolutely ridiculous.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it would be easier to analyze if you had "good" 3b numbers ie if they had a 20% 3b in that situation over a decent sample size it would be a very easy call, but if their 3b was 2% it would be an easy fold

Bovada

To even think about folding against a short stack is just absolutely ridiculous.

So you would never fold against an SS that shoves all in? Crazy

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you would never fold against an SS that shoves all in? Crazy
Why should I? Short stacks are shoving small pairs and big aces all the time. I even sometimes see king high shoves.

D

don1980

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK gets alot of player's in trouble especiallyif their cards don't hit on the flop.

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why should I? Short stacks are shoving small pairs and big aces all the time. I even sometimes see king high shoves.

Dunno about that but if i do allin i would defo do it with AK,but if i need to call it,i would think about it twice

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can fold AK pre flop in speed poker because a lot of players are just playing to shove big pairs. But in a regular cash game table? No because a lot of players tend to shove in sheer card dead frustration.

imtheman

imtheman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if im low stacking i defiantly call a all-in

kuchufleto

kuchufleto

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I kind of feel like I know this answer but just want some opinions on it.

25NL and I am facing an all in raise from a short stack who has to have a low to medium pocket pair and I have AK, is it -EV to make this call?

The situation was going like this, there is a short stack to my right that I was kind of bullying with raises pre when he kept trying to limp and finally it goes like this

He is SB and I am BB and he once again limps in for .25, I raise to $1.00 and he shoves for $10. I am sitting here with AKo and am pretty sure he does not have AA or KK or he would of called to see a flop or did a smaller raise. I am pretty sure he is just frustrated because I was running him over and I figured he had a weak holding such as a medium pocket pair or maybe AJ AQ AK.

I call and he turns over 44 and they hold up.

Since any pocket pair is a favorite over AK is my call bad? Or is it +EV since he could of had AJ AQ or AK also which I had dominated/split.

I personally think it was a decent call on my part and was probably +EV, but since pokerstove is expired it is hard to tell :p

Anyone help me update pokerstove to get it working again?

Edit, I also feel like getting it all in pre with AK in a cash game is best if I am the one shoving since it also gives me a decent amount of fold equity, but is calling all in pre with AK a mistake?(That is the main question really.)

Friend, I believe this well-played your hand as you have a very good hand preflop .. AK preflop dominates many other hands preflop and you should not fear meet with hands like AA KK QQ! ... your move was successful and long term will be + EV ..! hug for you :)

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so funny to see some of the people screw up what your odds are, one even stated the odds and said it was losing odds when it wasn't

equities people please use a little pokerstove or equilabs to see what the break even equity is

also just in general focus on what type of player you are playing, reads will dictate how you play this type of hand a lot

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea it mostly depends on your feel, but with multitable you always all in, but playing a tourney or single table I always 4 or 5-bet.

B

buckaclown

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to call w/ AK, then re-raise the most facetious players at the table, such as ACR's Jimboaakimbo.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea its 1 of the best hands to raise with or go all in. I like pocket jacks the best out of all of em, they always do me good. I got aces 3 different times in a tournament the other night. Good luck and crush em. :D

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the AK strong, as it usually wins :)

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah , only unless you the short stack and need to double up to stay in the tournament.

T

Tiltmode1987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Idk even though all in pre with ak seems optimal i have lost a lot with it

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Although AK is a premium hand, it is very different o call an all in , then to make an all in. At best you are going for a coin flip. You would have to consider the player, icm ,( if it comes in to play), and chip stacks. If you arent in an ICM situation, I would probably call if I would have a decent amount of chips left if I called. I would probably call if I thought the player would go all in loosely. you always have to remember though that even Pair of twos beats AK.

R

r0ny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play AK aggressive, but not always is the right way. Sometimes go all-in, sometimes just call 3bet.

tra1mp

tra1mp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think folding only makes sense if the aggressor is against you.
I open 3bet from any position

C

caha51

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when rearranged twice, it is worth considering

M

marquinhos53

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends a lot on the table, and c-bet or 3-bet position

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK played aggressively in early position is often asking for trouble, its a premium hand to a point and as previous posts have already mentioned, it often depends of the texture of the table and your tourney position/bubble point if applicable.
Short stacked and in early position, i can see the absolute need to jam, in this scenario- you want a call.
I would urge players to look at their ability to fold when needed, AK isnt the monster players often feel it is.

In the cash game situation which is a variant of poker i play a lot of live tables at, AK is certainly a raising hand in early pos, definitely a C bet hand but i often see players in cash games both online and live, play small pocket pairs against AK all the way if the board does not throw up any paint or A.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't get the exact odds at the table, but since there's some dead money in the pot, it's a call with any hand where you think you're a slight dog. If you think you're favored, it's an obvious call. Fwiw, if you eliminate AA KK from his range and give him AJ+ 44-QQ, you're about an 11:9 favorite.

Sounds reasonable.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel more comfortable all in or fold with AK. A small raise and I could get lost.