AK good enough to go all in preflop heads up?

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on the stack depth, position, and other factors. With this hand, you can safely raise or re-raise against the oppa, and see the flop. If the flop is bad, I may have to fold. This hand is sometimes overrated especially against pocket pairs.

Life is a game , play beautiful

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yes, AK is from the best cards to go all in preflop heads up! I would prefer a pair, but in a heads up situation AK is fantasic!:bike:

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that with 250 bb you don't need your opponent a chance at all, so try to play post-flop

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how crazy your opponent is. Normally I would just 3 or 4 bet this hand but it also depends on if your out of position or in position. Can't see me call it off but I could 5 bet it to like 50 bbs.

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a heads up, give them to me always. Maybe some pair is better, but with AK I wouldn't mind losing, at least I know I had a chance:cool::cool:

N

ntf1125

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think so, yes although it´s weaker than a pair.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The truth is, excuse me, but it's still a story about which I don't have much confidence to make my opinion, since always with those hands they don't let me emerge even with a pair of KK and I always win a straight or flush

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Considering I lost to K7 with AK pre-flop on the river, AK is a little overrated hand for all in before the flop. Even though it is a flip against most medium or low pairs, I prefer a pair in hand rather than two big face cards.

R

richardpro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good hand to play aggressive, for you to go everything depends a lot on your chips, you may be losing to a pair.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends.
cash table, as a 4 or 5 bet...i would say no...
tourney as an open raise or 3 bet, yes

cash...i would just call a 3 bet with ak and play the board as it unfolds...probably..lol.

T

tata777rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on how loose the player is against you. I wouldn't go all-in preflop. Raise 40 percent pot or call, see the flop. It is important who plays against you, what is the depth of your stack. How much is left before the bubble.

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

You are one on one against an aggressive player :ah4::kc4: are excellent cards.
At least it is my interpretation of the cut of the situation that you raise.

Heartfelt greetings friends :ah4::kh4:

Last edited:
94EXPOS

94EXPOS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The kicker is that you both have around 250 bb. I agree with the posters who have stated that NO this is not a good idea so early. It also depends on the type of tournament and blind levels. In a hyper or turbo I would agree that yes it is a good play. In a regular tournament such as a CC free roll, I would suggest that in most circumstances an All In push with AK so early on is a mistake due to the very likely possibility that you are up against AA or KK. With 50 or less BB I would suggest that the play would now be a no brainer.

Comarata3456

Comarata3456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's heads up with one I go all in with AK even more so if it's the same color

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Disclaimer: I am a tournament player, my comments do not apply to cash games!

Im almost always willing to get all-in with AK anytime, anywhere, with two significant exceptions. The first exception is if we're close to the money bubble and I'm not one of the chipleaders. In this situation I play a bit more carefully and I may just call with AK or might even fold it entirely preflop. The second exception is when I'm facing a big raise from a player who I think is extremely tight, which means his raise is signifying a big pair, QQ+, then I'll just throw away the AK and look for a better spot.

Except for those rare situations, I consider AK well worth getting my chips in the middle. It's certainly not a conservative approach and while it works for my game, it might not work for other people's... but that's what makes this game so great, we're free to play it any way we like. :)

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

These one on one against an aggressive player :ah4::kc4: are excellent cards.
At least it is my interpretation of the cut of the situation that you raise.

Heartfelt greetings friends :ah4::kh4:
You can raise or choose to slow play, depending on the situation. The question is " do you go all in?" You have to decide, is it worth your tournament life or in a cash game, do I wnt to possibly want to lose all my money in this one hand? My answer is likely not.

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

You can raise or choose to play slow, depending on the situation. The question is "do you go with everything?" You have to decide, is your life worth it in a tournament or in a real money game, I don't want to lose all my money on this hand? My answer is probably not.

Friend, I agree with you, you can play slow or make a raise, I also add that you can go all in. My opinion would apply to a tournament, since I don't play cash.

Cheers :ah4::kh4:

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
AK to go all in pre-flop no.
but it all depends a lot on what stage the tournament is in and with that amount of chips and how your opponents are playing.

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on many of the factors listed throughout the thread but overall Imho a definite Yes:boxing:

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes even if the other player had KK you still have a good shot of hitting the ace and really limit his chance of coming out with a set of kings! If he has AA the odds are very slim because you already have one ace but he or she did have AA kiss your money goodbye!

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of those how deep you are questions.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I feel stupid, my humble apologies... I didn't realize I was posting in a CASH GAME forum, and the very first thing I typed was:

"Disclaimer: I am a tournament player, my comments do not apply to cash games!"

I hope you laugh at me like I've been laughing at myself, this is certainly the dumbest thing I've done to date on Cards Chat!! If I had realized it I wouldn't have wasted everybody's time reading my original post and now this one too. At least this is good evidence I'm a real human poker player and not a bot. LOL

R

ravhin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With ak I seem to lose 9 times out of ten its really a all in hand pre flop if you do hit you rarely seem to get action

chaviiiis

chaviiiis

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well... I just lost 8s vs Ak.... lol

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is my take from a cash game perspective. I will usually call the initial bet in position to see the flop and will 3 bet AK when OOP (small or big blind). If I am the initial raiser and get 3 bet, again I will call to see the flop. I will CBet if the flop connects more with my range, usually check if first to act. Would rather check and call a bet and hope to get to showdown.