AK good enough to go all in preflop heads up?

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I htink it's a fold

Even though your opponent is agressive 250bb is a lot. Do you think he'd do such a play with anything AK has a ledge on? If he does this constantly, then yes you should call, but keep in mind that most of the times you will be lucky if you have the odds of a flip. Just try not to 5-bet this guy with hand you're not willing to stack. If he went all in before a 5-bet with you both so deep then play some more hands with him to study his play.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK good enough to go all in preflop heads up

Hello. There is no definitive answer. If the player is aggressive, I wait for a top 15% hand. When I get one like the AK hand, that aggressive player has his hands full! Come home to poppa!
Dan'O

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi. if I still don’t have a good stack or I’m at the beginning of a tournament, I’m all in preflop

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not always, although AK is a good starting hand and in many ways dominates other starting hands, but it would be better to play it through 3-bet and do not forget about the position at the table.

V

valen_niyee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it good enough. But it depends on the villain. You have to read the villain. Whats good if you all in and villain fold. Sometimes Its better to make a bait

dartwind

dartwind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, so many different answers is going to make it hard for you to do the right thing. I would need more details to give my opinion. Answer my questions and I will try to answer yours.

Level of poker being played?

Read on opponent?

Your table image?

Goal of this hand?

Suited or not suited AK?

Are you playing hot?

Position?

Action?

What are the blinds?

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Call and wait to see the flop.

girts87

girts87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea ! good enough !
nothing to shame about going all in with AK

S

Sgsoares74

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it is good, if you dont have odds you still got outs ! Ship it

Y

yuurepoer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You may wanna slow-play in this situation..

Make the aggresive player throw in his chips voluntarily, and when he's too invested to get out, you go all-in ;)

G

greychalk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK good to just limp but will lose against 1010 JJ QQ KK AA pre flop

AK not good enough to shove early position pre flop

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sickest!!! Bump!!! Ever!!!!

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have the best hand. A good chance to screw more chips out of him, have abig raise and see the flop

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you won't call or go all-in with A.K then what would you do it with? Pocket anything is in real danger to A.K except AA and iv seen AA go down to a straight so many times!

R

Riversalmon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play aggressive and know when to fold

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is AK a good enough to get it all in preflop heads up. 250 bb each against an aggressive player preflop

It really depends on what the villain's tendencies are, stack sizes, and what the action was before the decision. I would assume that if you're shoving it might be in response to a 4bet, otherwise shoving pre for a pot worth potentially just 1.5 BBs is not the move IMO*. But generally speaking big slick is a huge favorite a great deal of time when heads-up in an unraised pot.

*I see it all the time in lower stakes cash games and tournaments tho. In my observations those players generally aren't very good.

Comarata3456

Comarata3456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I have few chips of course all in with AK although remembering I have lost more times than I have won, so I do not advise it.

R

richardpro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A-K is a very big hand but it depends a lot on the gameplay and your chips you may be losing to a pair

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Is AK a good enough to get it all in preflop heads up. 250 bb each against an aggressive player preflop

Of course! AK, is always a very good option in any situation to go all in, but sometimes you need to evaluate carefully, so you don´t miss the shot. But heads up, for sure, is one of the best hands to go all in

C

cportweed

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings"

- Salvador Dali

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
absolutely, it's a good hand to play agressive enough

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
250 bb no, he can have AA or any other pair or get lucky. it also depends on the buy in of the tournament and how much the money involve means to you.

I said yes at first because AK is not that bad of a hand heads up specially vs aggressive players. but its better to be safe than sorry. like fold fold fold vs aggressive player works because when they get good hand they will start to lower bets so you can call or even limp in to pretend like they don't have much in hopes of you betting. but if you get lucky at flop and he will be aggressive trying to protect his good hand and you can take their chips in the end that way.