Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But when you say 3 betting is pot size heads up, then youre no longer talking about 3 betting, youre talking about seeing the pot size and betting accordingly according to outs.

Very few bet more than pot anyway, and in very few cases, so if 3 betting is betting pot, i dont see how that makes pot sizes any smaller, i rarely see any bets over pot size.

And for example, if you have 5 people who called that 6$ raise preflop, and he now bets 6$, and 3 fold to you. Then you wouldnt 3 bet? but bet more according to pot?

So basically its just going back to odds.

When 3 betting gives him odds to chase, you dont do it. When it doesnt, you do. So i dont see how its a separate strategy. Maybe im just not getting it...

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually its not just a limit term. To 3-bet is exactly what bomb said. There was a thread a while ago by dbitel about 3-bet light, which is reraising with a marginal hand.

I think the video is making up a term for what he is doing but when you say 3-bet most people will think what bomb said.

yes I realize that and I dont argue that point at all, and know that. But I thought I made it pretty clear what I meant when I said it. I know what the general meaning of making a 3 bet is but the way I explained it was for a no limit game and thought it was pretty clear. guess not. :)

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that's a pretty insignificant point to debate in this. im more interested in the incorporation of deception when playing this way.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fruitypro's blog he's using it in my interpretation, as in re-raise, not by any particular amount although pot-size is assumed.

I've watched most of GP's videos on Cardrunners and I've no reason to think he means anything other than re-raising, unless he describes it somewhere in the way you're thinking?

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep in mind that this is going to be our basic betting strategy. All good players will mix things up a bit. The idea is to disguise our hand to the best of our ability while still building the pot. We do want to take down as much as possible obviously.

My general rule of thumb is to control the betting (ie. no check/raising) Show as much aggression as possible while maintaining a large range of hands that villain can put us on.

I like it also because it always gives an out. I have seen enough hands to say that this style does control the betting. Slightly better hands will not go over the top as often. They must be more cautious.

The idea is to get to the river. Then we have a number of bets at our disposal. Check/raise/pot/push.

As far as semi-bluffs and reraises are concerned, we are not in any different position than we would have been in if we had just layed down an overbet and got shoved.

I'm going to try it for a little longer, but, so far I like the strategy. (Like I said as a general betting strategy. You still have to mix things up a little though)

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But when you say 3 betting is pot size heads up, then youre no longer talking about 3 betting, youre talking about seeing the pot size and betting accordingly according to outs.

Very few bet more than pot anyway, and in very few cases, so if 3 betting is betting pot, i dont see how that makes pot sizes any smaller, i rarely see any bets over pot size.

And for example, if you have 5 people who called that 6$ raise preflop, and he now bets 6$, and 3 fold to you. Then you wouldnt 3 bet? but bet more according to pot?

So basically its just going back to odds.

When 3 betting gives him odds to chase, you dont do it. When it doesnt, you do. So i dont see how its a separate strategy. Maybe im just not getting it...

3 betting is really a preflop strategy mostly, after the flop you have to play your hand accordingly. Also its a strategy that needs a bet in front of you, if you are 1st to open then its ok to 3 bet the blinds, but if you get 5 limpers in front of you then you have to do more then 3 bet of course.

if you are 1st to open the pot on the flop then again there is nothing to 3 bet so again you have to play your hand accordingly, now if there is $25 in pot before you and guy does a blocking bet for $5 I would 3 bet him to $15 to keep him in. Before you say no one would bet $5 into $25, yes they would its a common thing for a draw to block bet small or a set to try to induce a bluff. By 3 betting here I gain alot more info then re- raising to $30 which would be the pot.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In fruitypro's blog he's using it in my interpretation, as in re-raise, not by any particular amount although pot-size is assumed.

I've watched most of GP's videos on Cardrunners and I've no reason to think he means anything other than re-raising, unless he describes it somewhere in the way you're thinking?

well of course 3 betting is re-raising, I never said it wasn't but it is a specific amount its 3x the original bet. I think 3 betting the blind is fine but thats basically a pot raise preflop. I assumed you all knew I meant with raise in front of you, kinda hard to 3 bet when you are 1st to act :)

D

Dashir

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the pot size has to enter into the calcuations. If there a flush or straight draw out there, you can't give them the odds to call. So in the this example...
Example 1
preflop...........
Hero bets 3BB
Villain 1 calls
Villain 2 calls
(12BB in pot)
flop........
Villain 1 checks
Villain 2 checks
Hero bets 3BB
Villain 1 calls
Villain 2 calls
turn.........

That post flop bet is giving the drawers good odds (3BB vs 12 or 15 for Villian 2). You're making the flush draw the correct play. I would bet 6BB here so if they want to draw, they have to pay over the long run since 6BB vs 18 isn't quite enough to make the draw profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars