2nl to 25nl

L

lethalsmoky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5nl not going too well I’ve been breaking even for the last 12k hands or so, bankroll around $180. I won a free ticket to a satellite yesterday though and ended up winning a ticket to the $215 stadium series Freezeout Tonight so I’ll be playing that. Biggest tournament I’ve ever played online or in real life!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great job! Sorry it's not going so well, these things happen unfortunately. Perhaps use "cash out" if you're having a downswing.

I'm starting playing again, lets see how I do! Challenge resuming. New goal of 50nl.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I won a free ticket to a satellite yesterday though and ended up winning a ticket to the $215 stadium series Freezeout Tonight so I’ll be playing that. Biggest tournament I’ve ever played online or in real life!

That is a very nice "bink". Congratulations and good luck in the target tournament.

L

lethalsmoky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a very nice "bink". Congratulations and good luck in the target tournament.

Ended up getting it all in about 60BB my QQ against AA, a short stack was also in for 20BB with AQ.

I think I should have gotten away from it so it was pretty devastating but that's poker!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest loss I've suffered while taking a break from the table is the pound strengthening against the dollar. My bankroll has taken a $80 hit while being away from the tables rofl. Great..

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ended up getting it all in about 60BB my QQ against AA, a short stack was also in for 20BB with AQ.

I think I should have gotten away from it so it was pretty devastating but that's poker!

I would not beat myself up over this. If you made a mistake, it was almost certainly only a very small one.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think that not only the bankroll intervenes in this but also the level of knowledge that the player possesses, it will not be equal for each type of player

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][COLOR=var(--link-color)]
[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][COLOR=var(--link-color)][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this thread has come to an end. I'm very close to cashing out my entire roll. I'm going to be getting a job soon (I hope) and also the exchange rate is moving against the dollar and if I don't play, I'll lose some money.

Thanks all for the ride, I made my goal. This is truly a great achievement for me.

My final bankroll is as follows. I started in March (02/03/2020) at the start of lockdown with $26 dollars. Finished exactly five months later in August (02/07/2020)

Starting roll: $26
Bankroll: $1,265.66
Profit: $1,239
Winrate: 20bb/100

/Thread :)
PS I'm also putting my current database in here in case I lose it. This includes my graph from last year, as well as this one. Seems I've made $1,893 from playing poker the last two years. Not bad going. I reached 25nl which was always a goal of mine. You can see my move away from zoom tables, on to regular tables. That is the huge spike at the end :)

5764c6be95dff6dd7df98ac7fbbbb8a5.png

Last edited:
L

lethalsmoky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats man, very inspiring! I’m going to keep going with my goal and hope to reach 25nl as you did!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best of luck! Let me know how you get on.

Grauncher

Grauncher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just found your thread, great work so far!

How are you finding it getting volume in now that pokerstars has reduced tables to only 4 when I saw you say you were playing 10 tables before?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm back! New challenge, will update soon :D

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm back, but with a difference. This is now technically my full time job. I left London and am now living in a low cost country in Central America with my wife. I've invested in a desktop computer here and am beginning my poker journey again. Wish me luck. I don't know how high I'll climb, or how much I'll make, but if I can make $1000 a month or more, it easily covers our costs here.

So far, I'm playing 4 tables of FR 2nl zoom, and 2 tables of FR regular games 2nl.

When I hit $100, I'll move up to 5nl.

WR = 17bb/100
Profit = $52
33e0701e45639e5aa0dfdfcec8188cb1.png

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck with the poker.

London to C America as well. How are you finding it so far - very different I bet :)

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you! Very different, but much better! Almost up to 5nl. Really hot all year round :D

Good session today. $17 profit.
WR = 19.67bb/100
Profit = $71

d4f8240c59e8c335030c58dab73d2839.png

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You’re starting out at 2NL and this is your full time job now!?!! I think my wife would leave me immediately. GL

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wowee, look at you go!

Long time since I caught up on this thread, couple of years even. Wow!! Great effort, and a very good read through the past couple of years progress. Hope the next chapter is just as successful :)

I have a couple of questions on how you handle the ups and downs of specific sessions, and how your management of that helps to keep your mind on the long game, rather than get upset at the swings.

I'm really keen to get it together to move up the stakes as you've down multiple times, but the tilt monkey on my back is usually biding his time, just waiting to smack me back down after every good run of a couple of weeks. I've busted bankrolls numerous times after getting to around $100 and quit, even self excluded couple of times, only to come crawling back weeks, months or years later to try again.

Bit of background, I've studied from all the usual sources people recommend, put in a lot of hands and have had periods of decent success. I'm honest that I am not a world beater, but my A game is enough to beat the fish on 888 poker for certain. I've got limited time but can usually get in 30 minutes to a maximum of 2 hours per night. My most recent 180,000 hands in Pokertracker really show the extent of my ups and downs, and showcase my tilt and terrible shot taking pretty nicely too... BB/100 of a massive 2, but in actual cash a loss of $80. If I filter down to just 2 and 5nl it looks more reasonable, the BB/100 is not much better, but I am up about $130. My stats look fine and my general play is reasonable.... it is just the insane tilted sessions ruining all the progress that come along once or twice a month that are stopping me progressing beyond 2 and 5nl.

I've made a few changes lately, and am really trying hard to get the mental game right as well. I've quit fast fold and only play regular tables. I target fish without remorse and avoid a lot of spots vs regs, or just leave the bad tables. I focus on 2-3 tables max in order to not feel rushed and make good decisions. I've also started using the feature on 888 to show BB on the table instead of $, to try to stop thinking so much about money and just focus on good decisions.

My session management though seems a bit of an issue. As I said above, I don't have tons of time, so I need to make the most of it. Typically I win anywhere from $0 to 1.5 buy-ins of an evening. Then the killer night comes along once a week or so where I just crash, and chase my losses, playing maybe a 4 or 5 hour session to either get back to break even or make it worse haha! Those long tilted chasing sessions are bad for my sleep patterns, my relationship and obviously my bankroll!

So anyway, my questions around individual sessions are as follows:
- Do you set time limits on your sessions and adhere to them?
- Do you have a stop loss on any given day/session?
- Do you ever win a few buy-ins within half an hour and decide to just quit for the day? I find myself doing this because I get quite annoyed and disheartened if I am up very quickly but then finish break even after another hour or so. Play the long game... I know, but struggling to get this through my head.
- How often do you look at your results/graph?
- Basically, what is your strategy when it comes down to this aspect of the game? What have you learnt over the years that has improved you here?

I really feel this could be a major area of improvement for me that could finally see me make some decent profit over time. Attached my past two weeks to show exactly what is going on, note the long tilted session of doom! Appreciate any insights you might have, or anyone else reading too.

Anyway, congrats again. Genuinely one of the most inspiring threads I have ever read on this forum.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: The most, I have never had the opportunity to play this type of level, one day I will get to play this type of levels, it is difficult but not impossible, you have to have a super stable bank to play these high levels.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You’re starting out at 2NL and this is your full time job now!?!! I think my wife would leave me immediately. GL

Well, we have savings to last us quite a long time out here. We didn't move here for poker, we moved here because we despise the UK, and it's only now that we are actually HERE that I decided to supplement some of our passive income streams with poker :)

I think if the average person said to their wife they wanted to leave their finance job in London and move to Central America to play 2nl, they'd get a divorce on the spot haha.

Long time since I caught up on this thread, couple of years even. Wow!! Great effort, and a very good read through the past couple of years progress. Hope the next chapter is just as successful :)

I have a couple of questions on how you handle the ups and downs of specific sessions, and how your management of that helps to keep your mind on the long game, rather than get upset at the swings.

I'm really keen to get it together to move up the stakes as you've down multiple times, but the tilt monkey on my back is usually biding his time, just waiting to smack me back down after every good run of a couple of weeks. I've busted bankrolls numerous times after getting to around $100 and quit, even self excluded couple of times, only to come crawling back weeks, months or years later to try again.

Bit of background, I've studied from all the usual sources people recommend, put in a lot of hands and have had periods of decent success. I'm honest that I am not a world beater, but my A game is enough to beat the fish on 888 poker for certain. I've got limited time but can usually get in 30 minutes to a maximum of 2 hours per night. My most recent 180,000 hands in Pokertracker really show the extent of my ups and downs, and showcase my tilt and terrible shot taking pretty nicely too... BB/100 of a massive 2, but in actual cash a loss of $80. If I filter down to just 2 and 5nl it looks more reasonable, the BB/100 is not much better, but I am up about $130. My stats look fine and my general play is reasonable.... it is just the insane tilted sessions ruining all the progress that come along once or twice a month that are stopping me progressing beyond 2 and 5nl.

I've made a few changes lately, and am really trying hard to get the mental game right as well. I've quit fast fold and only play regular tables. I target fish without remorse and avoid a lot of spots vs regs, or just leave the bad tables. I focus on 2-3 tables max in order to not feel rushed and make good decisions. I've also started using the feature on 888 to show BB on the table instead of $, to try to stop thinking so much about money and just focus on good decisions.

My session management though seems a bit of an issue. As I said above, I don't have tons of time, so I need to make the most of it. Typically I win anywhere from $0 to 1.5 buy-ins of an evening. Then the killer night comes along once a week or so where I just crash, and chase my losses, playing maybe a 4 or 5 hour session to either get back to break even or make it worse haha! Those long tilted chasing sessions are bad for my sleep patterns, my relationship and obviously my bankroll!

So anyway, my questions around individual sessions are as follows:
- Do you set time limits on your sessions and adhere to them?
- Do you ever win a few buy-ins within half an hour and decide to just quit for the day? I find myself doing this because I get quite annoyed and disheartened if I am up very quickly but then finish break even after another hour or so. Play the long game... I know, but struggling to get this through my head.
- Basically, what is your strategy when it comes down to this aspect of the game? What have you learnt over the years that has improved you here?

I really feel this could be a major area of improvement for me that could finally see me make some decent profit over time. Attached my past two weeks to show exactly what is going on, note the long tilted session of doom! Appreciate any insights you might have, or anyone else reading too.

Anyway, congrats again. Genuinely one of the most inspiring threads I have ever read on this forum.

Thank you for sharing your story with me, I enjoyed reading it and I'm really pleased you found it inspiring. I know I've only managed to reach 25nl, but this time I think I'll go further because last year I cashed it all out because it was taking up too much time. Now that I'm literally jobless and living in a low-cost country, I have the perfect setting to take it all the way.

Sadly, your story is all too common. The good news is that, if you read back through this thread which I think you have, you'll see that I have a history of rage-quitting and cashing out my bankroll and I have overcome this.

I think you are approaching your tilt from the wrong angle. Overcoming tilt is not something you do at the poker table, it is something you need to work on away from it. I'm an angry person, I had a stressful childhood, I was also in the military and have done an oversees tour. I think you should look at the issues in your own life away from the table that cause the tilt in the first place. Why do you get angry when you lose, knowing that it is a game of chance and probability? If you can answer this, you will find peace at the poker table.

"- Do you set time limits on your sessions and adhere to them?"

No, see the above point. Poker is all about your bb/100 or your hourly. If you are a winning player, the longer you play, the more you win. I do play between 1pm ad 7pm, because this is when my wife is also busy. I treat it like a job almost.

No, just last week, I had a 12.5 buyin downswing in one session. Went from +$15 to -$20 but I played through it and finished down just -$11 The session is the session. I stop at 7pm. I was a bit frustrated being down so much, but not so much it affected my play.

- Do you ever win a few buy-ins within half an hour and decide to just quit for the day?

Again, no. As a winning player, the more you play, the more you win in the long run. Stopping early just delays the downswing for another day.

A ****ing ridiculous amount. Like every 10-20 seconds or after every pot. This is totally wrong, and should not be done. I have really awful OCD, and it's something I'm trying to work on. Some sessions, I'll manage more than others. The less you look, the happier you'll be. I know lots of pros don't check for an entire week, or until they hand review.

Find peace away from the table. Remove other stresses and pressure from your life. The reason you tilt at the poker table could be because you want the money fast and are impatient, or perhaps you want validation that you're a good player, and you feel hurt when you lose because it bruises your ego. (Just guessing, no judgement)

Be patient, that is my best advice. Trust in your skill, and don't try and force results. The bankroll will increase naturally over time.

Finally, if you don't meditate, I suggest you start. 20 minutes at a time or more is optimal. Any less and it doesn't really give you enough time to really disconnect. Start small, but build up. I meditate most days, especially before my long 6 hour sessions.

ps, I have a suspicion your game could use some work, (Mine too of course). Try and study more. Single biggest piece of advise I have for micro stakes having played them for 12 years is this:

If you have a HUD, seriously consider folding agaist aggression from nits. They're everywhere in Zoom, and they ALWAYS have a massive hand when they bet. Yesterday, I folded AK on AK22 safe board, facing a 100bb shove on turn (we were 200bb deep) Dude clearly had a full house by the way he played the hand. He showed me AA after and asked how the **** I folded top 2 pair on that board. Nits gonna nit, that's why.

Big hand, big pot. Small hand, small pot. Bet with your large hands, check with your medium strength and bluff with your total air.

Good luck.

Last edited:
GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for those answers and tips, some great stuff there for me to consider, really appreciate it. Delaying the downswing, yep, nailed it.

Finding peace in life and bringing it to the table really resonates. Oddly enough that has been on my mind and I've been exploring mindfulness and even some zen philosophy. The sitting and meditating I need to do more often and make it routine. Definitely going to continue down that path and work on myself, as I continue to work on my game as well.

I'll be setting myself a timer for sessions going forward and sticking to it, win or lose. Let's see how I do for the next few weeks.

Really funny what you said about checking results, I'm desperately trying to break the habit too as I know it is bloody terrible. If I can get through a session not checking once I consider that a small victory!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lost with a straight flush to a higher straight flush yesterday :D

SgtStarMan

SgtStarMan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Genera1,

I was sitting to your right on a couple tables today (was going to PM you, but since I'm a new user I need to post 15 times on this forum before I can send any PMs) so thought I would post here instead. Nice looking graphs man, keep it up! I'll PM you when I can for the preflop charts. Thanks again for being friendly at the tables today, glad I ran into you!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey mate, thank you! And likewise! I'm trying to repeat my graphs from last year and beyond, let's see what happens :D

I'll send you a private message because I'm able to do that.