2nl to 25nl

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Update: Stakes played = 25nl 16nl and 10nl. Mixture.
bankroll = $865. Previous week I was stuck, took me all week to get unstuck.
Graph is $100 less than roll.

b159f2dc4e47527822109dfc405bee56.png

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys :) Next update on the following Sunday.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This might inspire me to do my own challenge! Finally getting back in the game after a lot of time off. It looks like you sat at the $40 mark for 50k hands....any idea what was going on there and advice on what you corrected?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This might inspire me to do my own challenge! Finally getting back in the game after a lot of time off. It looks like you sat at the $40 mark for 50k hands....any idea what was going on there and advice on what you corrected?

I'm glad I can inspire people to start their own challenges. In answer to your question, I was playing 2nl ZOOM. These ZOOM games are reg infested and play much, much better than regular games. Also, I ran terribly. I was 30 buyins under EV for that period. That is huge at 2nl.

I switched my game from zoom to regular, and just played four tables and hunt fish relentlessly. If fish leave the game, then I leave. If there isn't someone with a VPIP of 50+ in my game, I leave.

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
General - good to see things are going well! Keep it up.

I'm still rattling around between $400 and $500 sadly which means I'm stuck at 16NL. What are the biggest tips you have for stepping up from 10NL to 16NL or 25NL?

At 10NL I'm very comfortable in the game - I play loose aggressive and play mainly to induce mistakes from weak players rather than outplaying the decent ones.

At 16NL/25NL I'm seeing a much higher volume of 3betting/4betting (don't see much at 10NL other than v strong holdings or bad players) and I find I'm constantly under attack in the 16NL/25NL games - the second I don't cbet a street I get bet into and if I bet (bluff) in position I get check-raised.

I probably need to tighten up as a starting point as I'm used to playing a lot of hands at 10NL 6-Max as I know I can beat the players post flop, whereas here I'm just facing a barrage of aggression which is inducing mistakes from me

Felt like I'd cracked things at 10NL but now I've moved up it feels like a totally different game that I'm struggling to enjoy - any tips on how you transitioned would be great!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, thanks for the question.

Are you playing regular tables? I tried to scroll up and find out but I couldn't see. I'll assume you are, if you are playing zoom, then I can't help you.

I find 10nl very comfortable too. But that's because there is a higher number of fish who play those stakes.

10nl is much easier. There is no denying that. My winrate at 10nl is 23bb/100. Winrate at 16nl is 12bb/100. Winrate at 25nl is break even. I've only played 3,000 hands at 25nl and run really poorly.

The difference between the stakes is really only the number of fish. I find that the regs play similar at 10/16/25nl but that it's much harder to hunt fish as you move up.

That's the secret to beating the stakes for me, hunting fish. I make sure there is at least ONE person with a vpip of 50+ at my table. If there isn't I just leave. The moment the fish leave, so do I. There are no prizes in poker for grinding out 2-3bb/100 against regs.

Aside for hunting fish, I would advise that you tighten up. Play strong ranges, 3bet around 6% and 4bet mostly for value. Throw in the odd A5s bluff but you will win if you never 4bet bluff.

Use their aggression against them, check call more. Pot control relentlessly.

Hunt fish. This is key.

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah reg 6max tables (no zoom).

Think you’re right, it’s the abundance of fish at 10NL which disappears higher up - there’s a lot of tables where I can’t spot a fish which must mean it’s me haha!!

Def need to tighten up - I’m playing too wide as you can win stacks playing weak hands at 10NL when fish are doing stupid things like shoving flops based on a good starting hand regardless of how the board is - probably developed bad habits at 10NL which were profitable there but hurting me now.

Sounds like I need to start playing smart / properly again.

Do you find you’re folding more than half your opening range to a 3bet? Feel I overfold to 3bets but really don’t like defending much weaker that AQ+,99+, KQs and A5s - nitty much?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to say, my folding to 3bet range is about 75%. This is because I'm playing against fish and targeting them specifically. Obviously, the fallback of this is that the good regs are no doubt 3betting me very light to exploit my high fold to 3bet. But I use this rule.

Is the fish still in the hand? If yes, consider calling. If not? Lean towards a fold. I'm really just exploiting fish, playing a wide range of hands against fish and playing very tight against regs. Keeps me out of trouble and away from tough spots. It's not a style that will work at mid-stakes though.

As a general rule, I will flat 3bets IP with 77+/AQ+ and look to fold 77/88/AJ/AQ OOP. I'll 4bet AK/AJs+

Position is KEY.

L

lethalsmoky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Just started following this thread, very motivational for me as I am doing something similar starting at 2nl.

Just wondering when do you think its worth investing in a HUD?

Also i see you are playing at pokerstars like me, is there any rakeback options available or is it just those chests etc.

Thanks!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate, thanks for your post. Glad you find inspiration from my journey :)

I would suggest you buy a HUD right now. Just get the "Small Stakes" version of Poker Tracker. You won't need the full version until you reach 100nl.

Some might argue that you should prove you're a winning player before buying it, but my view is that you'll need it eventually anyway. And you can make it back in one night at 10nl. It is ESSENTIAL that you hunt fish in today's games. That means making sure you have VPIP of 50+ at your table. Without a HUD how will you figure this out quickly? Very hard.

No rake back :/ They are arseholes who betrayed their player base. Having said this, no other poker site comes close to their software or player experience or player pool. Beat stars, and you can beat any site going.

L

lethalsmoky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi mate, thanks for your post. Glad you find inspiration from my journey :)

I would suggest you buy a HUD right now. Just get the "Small Stakes" version of Poker Tracker. You won't need the full version until you reach 100nl.

Some might argue that you should prove you're a winning player before buying it, but my view is that you'll need it eventually anyway. And you can make it back in one night at 10nl. It is ESSENTIAL that you hunt fish in today's games. That means making sure you have VPIP of 50+ at your table. Without a HUD how will you figure this out quickly? Very hard.

No rake back :/ They are arseholes who betrayed their player base. Having said this, no other poker site comes close to their software or player experience or player pool. Beat stars, and you can beat any site going.

Thanks for the reply!

I got the trial version last night and it seems very useful so i think i will purchase the full version when the trial runs out. It seems good for analysing your own play as well, to spot leaks etc.

Beat stars, and you can beat any site going.

Are you saying you think the games are easier on other sites? would you think about moving somewhere with a rakeback deal eventually then? i played with rakeback a few years ago and remember that it contributed to my winnings quite significantly.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not suggest moving sites, maybe if you can handle the bad user interface, the bad graphics, the unreliable payouts and the fact that most other sites don't allow HUDs, then yeah.

I honestly have tried so many times to player other sites but they're just awful. I'm rather biased, I can't stand the look of other poker sites. I find them difficult to look at, and the software clunky.

Most of the sites with good rakeback deals don't also allow HUDs.

L

lethalsmoky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah, I get you. I guess i'll stay on PS for the foreseeable future.

What are the main HUD stats you use? is the setup that comes with Pokertracker ok or should i change it up?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use BlackRain's set up. You can find that on pokertracker I think. If not, google it, it will be on his website :)

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to say, my folding to 3bet range is about 75%. This is because I'm playing against fish and targeting them specifically. Obviously, the fallback of this is that the good regs are no doubt 3betting me very light to exploit my high fold to 3bet. But I use this rule.

Is the fish still in the hand? If yes, consider calling. If not? Lean towards a fold. I'm really just exploiting fish, playing a wide range of hands against fish and playing very tight against regs. Keeps me out of trouble and away from tough spots. It's not a style that will work at mid-stakes though.

As a general rule, I will flat 3bets IP with 77+/AQ+ and look to fold 77/88/AJ/AQ OOP. I'll 4bet AK/AJs+

Position is KEY.

Does this still work at 25NL?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly, it doesn't matter what stake you play. It could be 2nl or 200nl. Fish are always just fish. Play pots with them, and your winrate will be the same. Naturally, fish are few and far between as you move up. 25nl is where there are seldom fish. So no, it doesn't work against regs.

Having said this, I only play 25nl at night time when the fish are online. I really can't be arsed to have a "merged 4betting range with appropriate bluffing frequencies" in order to grind out 3bb/100 haha.

I just move down stakes during the day when there are less fish.

L

lethalsmoky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I use BlackRain's set up. You can find that on pokertracker I think. If not, google it, it will be on his website :)

Thanks, i've started using it and your right the HUD is so useful for spotting fish. Gives you a better idea of what to do in a hand.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Glad it's working mate. Do you know how to fully use it? If you need help let me know.

H

hidayat1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always lost in cash games, I'm always was unlucky, that's why i'm not playing now :(

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more I practice, the luckier I seem to get ;)