KK Early Pos., Button Calls Raise...

S

stevenrh1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Alrighty guys... please help me out and let me know exactly what all the .05 and VP25 talk is about... I don't have that kinda program that tells you.

What is the program and what does it mean?

Z

zxcvbnm123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
a minraise on turn tells me he has a monster. Very marginal spot so folding or shoving with those stats is fine to me. he could easily have 77-jj or a4,66,33,57. I myself would just stick it in on the turn.

S

stevenrh1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Okey-dokey... time to speak into this a little.

First a little info about me;
I actually do play lots of poker, live poker for larger stakes (500-1k cash games) and online for small stakes (25 cent blinds NL at 6 tables at a time). The reason for the small stakes online is because it's MUCH less stressfull and I'm fine with the small bankroll increases instead of the larger fluctuations... plus the players are worse! I've read most reputable poker books, (sklansky being my fav.) probably 12-15 total, some 2-3 times each and have taken detailed notes along the way. So in my opinion I've put more thought and taken more time to learn than the average joe playing at that level (although I don't usually discuss poker at these forums so maybe I haven't put as much thought as some of you?).

Now, I think my pre-flop raise of .5 may have been a little low but over 30 hands that could be due to just bad cards, I think that it would usually be higher than that as I do often raise with good cards especially when I'm first to enter in a latter position.

As far as my VPIP being around 25 as you say... I think that's probably accurate as I do like to see lots of flops at that level. Keep in mind I always buy in for the max and I always reload to max when I'm playing and prefer to be large stacked... that being said I love to call small pre-flop raises (2-3x BB) with hands with possibilities, obviously the basics such as any suited connector, small pockets, (supersystem 101) and even suited connectors that skip one... and If I've got position even just a mid connector or small if lots of people have called and I think lots of big cards are out of the deck and the flop may come small... now the reason I love to see flops at this level is because I'm convinced I can outplay most of these guys post-flop and my skill level will keep me out of trouble in most situations. The size of the opponents stack is also a factor when deciding to call his raise or not, obviously if my implied odds are low I won't call him with much unless my hand plays well hot/cold but if we're both close to the max buy in or hopefully higher that will increase the likely hood of metaking a flop with him and trying to stack him. An example... if the blinds are .25 & .50 and we've got 1k behind us I'll call absolutely any reasonable raise from him in any position, with any two cards, especially if he's aggressive! If blinds were the same and we both had 10.00, I would seldom do so and would have to tighten up to solid hands.

Now to speak into this specific hand;
To be honest with you It was tough to recall this hand as it was some time ago but I do recall it... I will never try to see a flop with AA with more than one opponent, that being said the flop was raised from an early position and I was button or next to, no one else had called and considering my position it seemed like a great opportunity to conceal my hand and try to win a big pot (obviously if I knew he had KK I would have worked to get it all in pref-lop but no way to know that). (also, if there were even 1 other caller I would have came in for a raise of 4-5 dollars preflop easy). Now when the flop comes 3,4,6-rainbow and a guy raised preflop from early position I'm going to make the assumption that he missed the flop... no matter what he bets I'll put him on mid-high pockets and call anything at that point. I can tell you that if it was coordinated higher there's a chance I'd let the AA go... 10,J,Q... or even Q,K,K or something like that but with that flop I'm feeling pretty good. At the very least I would have came in for a decent raise at the flop to see where I was at, but since I felt really good about the flop I decided to continue to play it slow and hope he catches up some, if he's got 2 big cards instead of pockets and he hits one I'd stack him and he'd be drawing dead to 5 outs on the river... so smooth calling the flop was the way I went in that situation. Now once he came out with $4.00 bet on the turn I knew he must have mid-high pockets or be a nut, either way it's time to put him to a decision and try to get him committed which is what I did.... 5 on top seemed like the perfect raise to do so, and it did.

All in all I really like the way I played AA in that situation, I can tell you however that I've only done that a few times, 9.9X out of 10 I'm trying real hard to get as many chips in preflop as possible with AA because I know that's the ONLY time it's guaranteed to be the best hand.

The only thing I regret about this hand was the fact that I only had 19.00 behind and I couldn't stack him. I must have lost 6 on the previous hand and not been able to re-load yet because like I said I always play with the max.

I hope that sheds some insight into my thought process of that hand.... I also like this site and you guys seem pretty friendly so I may stick around.

PS. Yes I googled myself to find this post!

GLA!

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^^^^ Nice post, good to have both sides of a hand discussed, though in reality AA v KK would usually end up with someone taking a hit.