Did I play this hand right?

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess that if you're super fast with calculations you can look at the whole pot divide it with your equity and if the num is greater than bet size youre +ev i haven't try it even once but after this post ill try to do that while im playing when i get back to the tabl...

Hmm, I tried this back and forth a few times but always seems to give the wrong result. I don't think it works ( we've been here before haha). Maybe you try it and see.

I really like the previous equation you've presented. I can see the easiest spot to use it to learn is IP on draws.

Example, you flop a 9 outer IP. Pot is $5. Villain bets 2.50. Pot is $7.50 and 2.50 to you. You know you have 19% to make your Flush on the Turn.

7.50 + 2.50=10 --- technically you add your bet, multiple with equity,and subtract your bet again
(10 * .19) - 2.50 = -0.60 Your Expressed odds

It's really peace of cake with a calculator handy. Only it might get hairy with Implied Odds. For that I would still use pot odds instead. But this is deffo the best when pushed all in, or shoving all in, or when needing to know exact value from Expressed Odds.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did not know he whether he was going to call the shove or not. I am only going to answer what did I think he'd 4bet with perflop, given is higher 4bet frequency:

78s, 88, 99, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK, AQ, KQ

Ok, much more than I think is anywhere near likely at 10nl.

Doesnt sound like you had a plan as such post flop, it was more "lolz I have a flush draw and one over, lolz insta shove".

I would suggest working on planning your hands.

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, much more than I think is anywhere near likely at 10nl.

Doesnt sound like you had a plan as such post flop, it was more "lolz I have a flush draw and one over, lolz insta shove".

I would suggest working on planning your hands.

Can I ask you if you are a HUD player?

Post flop.: I explained that it wasn't my standard play, and I recently started experimentimg much more with Pot Odds. My calculation said i have justfified odds to make that push. And I really thought he was weaker Preflop. If he had an AK and a Q came I could have busted him. If the flush draw hadn't come up, I would have checked-raised very likely.

Is it a bad play when cards are flipped over? Yes. If it was anybody else like a NIT or ABC I would flatted Preflop and check-called (depending on Odds) on that specific Flop. This play was player specific, even his 3bet stat was 5.0 with 75% 3betting lite pretty much, standard TAG . They defend against 3bets by 4betting. he just showed up with the top of his range. But I agree that the AQ wasn't strong enough. I will work with quilab and ranges more now.

Last edited:
D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Question to everyone. Just out of interest.

Would you have called (and consider the 3bet correct) the 4 bet if holding AKo or AKs instead of the AQ?

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Daithi's your attitude is not only rude but kind of uncalled for.
we try to help but in Poker nothing is fixed.
You may play as you wish and I wish you luck. :banghead:

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daithi's your attitude is not only rude but kind of uncalled for.
we try to help but in Poker nothing is fixed.
You may play as you wish and I wish you luck. :banghead:

Hmm, what did I do/say? I just asked how would everyone play it Preflop with AK. What's wrong with that? Is it offensive. Is it rude?

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Just read all of your comments! and try to remember this is a friendly site so, Lets forget about it. :listen:

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just read all of your comments! and try to remember this is a friendly site so, Lets forget about it. :listen:

I know what I have said. Did I insult anyone? (Show me). Did I offend anyone? (Show me). Did I use too many exclamation marks?

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know what I have said. Did I insult anyone? (Show me). Did I offend anyone? (Show me). Did I use too many exclamation marks?

Its the implication of things I think.
When you ask if you are right, then say you're sure you are right, then when someone says you are not right, you tell that person they are wrong.

Maybe that person was wrong. But if you are so sure you are right, then why did you ask for help? When someone takes their valuable time to help you and you don't accept their help, then you are wasting their time. That's why it is rude.

Maybe you are right, maybe the other guy is wrong, but at least be more considerate of the other person. Instead of firing back saying "no, you're wrong, why would you think that" maybe try "I see where you're coming from but I thought..."

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its the implication of things I think.
When you ask if you are right, then say you're sure you are right, then when someone says you are not right, you tell that person they are wrong.

Maybe that person was wrong. But if you are so sure you are right, then why did you ask for help? When someone takes their valuable time to help you and you don't accept their help, then you are wasting their time. That's why it is rude.

Maybe you are right, maybe the other guy is wrong, but at least be more considerate of the other person. Instead of firing back saying "no, you're wrong, why would you think that" maybe try "I see where you're coming from but I thought..."

Well I believe that here is where the misunderstanding lies. I never said "you are wrong and I'm right".

When I thought I was right about something, I always explained why I thought that and what's making me think that. Putting it out there. So the other person can see the thinking process and say this is wrong. For example like DrazaFFT did. I told him what I thought put black and white. He said that number is wrong that's wrong, and that was it and I stood corrected. That way he could show me where the mistake was. Sure it took me (us), mainly me, a few posts to see it as our lines were crossed, and the posts may have not been conveyed as accurately, perhaps on both sides. But there was no problem. No offending anyone, nor being rude.

As I said. It'd be rude to be telling people " I am right cos I'm right, and you are wrong". Sure, only a dick would do that. That's not what happened however, "I said this is what leads me to believe I was right" Nothing rude about that in my opinion.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm mostly referring to your second post in this thread

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm mostly referring to your second post in this thread

Oh okay. Let's have a look at it so. That was in reply to DrCarloshimg.

So he says to me.
As I see it the BB was 0.10 you bet 1.50 thats 15 BB, way too much, I would have bet 3 to 5 BB will be wiser.
After the Flop I would have used the C bet, another 1.50 at the most and then he goes All in and will realize he has the nuts and should have Folded

Which of course is non-sense. I cannot bet 3bb because that already has been bet. And I cannot bet 5bb because that would not even be a minraise. 3bb have been bet already. Minraise would be 6bb (why would I minraise anyway), besides the point, could not bet 5bb. So a complete non-sense. And I am sorry if facts are now rude and offending.

So from my reply in question the worst part about that is this.
Your recommendation sounds really bad actually.

What's rude and offending and attituish about that? I think it's mild and appropriate.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every time I peace out for awhile CC goes straight to hell. That topic from Marg and his 7s is somehow just as bad.

You're all terrible at poker. Check your egos at the door. As somewhat of an aside I do hope no one's losing too much sleep if there are people online that don't agree with them on how to play a hand.

Answer to the question in the topic title is no. Anyway see you guys in the fall.

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQs in SB vs UTG is a call. An UTG open with a call from CO AQs in SB is definitely a call. If the original opener was in MP or CO and Button called then this would be a good spot to squeeze but because AQs has so much equity pre it's a bad hand to try and squeeze against an UTG open specifically for this reason, when UTG 4bets you pretty much have to call which puts you behind UTG's 4bet value range.

I'm on my phone so I can't see villains stats but you're saying his 4bet % is high. From what position? And what about his other stats? Zeroing in on his 4betting range doesn't really say anything except villain may be doing a really good job of balancing their range.

Why did you donk the flop? You only have a draw against a 4bet from UTG. As played, check/call would be a better option and may save you some blinds.

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just found the stats. To me villain looks like a pretty decent LAG

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you proboly could have done better on the preflop and shoving after the flop isnt ideal in that situation

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you proboly could have done better on the preflop and shoving after the flop isnt ideal in that situation

Yeah, I got myself in a bind there Preflop. I mainly cared for the flop shove when posting the question as I was experimenting with EV and numbers. But yeah, my preflop game was apparently as good a I'd thought.

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just found the stats. To me villain looks like a pretty decent LAG

Right, just pulled up his 4bet. Total is 22 (9), EP 33 (3), MP 25 (4). The rest is blank.

Absolutely no doubt he was a decent LAG, that's why I thought he was pulling my leg :D

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Squeeze looks fine if a little big, folding to the 4bet all day everyday. As played its a pretty clear check. Obviously its a +EV shove, but that doesnt show it to be profitable when we can allow him to put it in with any bluff he *might* have or x back and let us realise equity.

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Squeeze looks fine if a little big, folding to the 4bet all day everyday. As played its a pretty clear check. Obviously its a +EV shove, but that doesnt show it to be profitable when we can allow him to put it in with any bluff he *might* have or x back and let us realise equity.

Well yes and no, just an opinion. So hopefully rest of the crew won't get riled up again that I am arguing. I had a Nuflush draw OPP. That shove ensured that I will see both cards for +EV. Even though ever so slight including rake it was thin ice.

Out of interest, how you play it if it was AKs?

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well yes and no, just an opinion. So hopefully rest of the crew won't get riled up again that I am arguing. I had a Nuflush draw OPP. That shove ensured that I will see both cards for +EV. Even though ever so slight including rake it was thin ice.

Out of interest, how you play it if it was AKs?

you can flat it or you can shove it pre. I probably just get QQ+ AK in the middle pre. Why does seeing a turn for free not seem like a good thing? we can call a shove anyway so no worry of getting locked out of our equity, if we see a turn and then dont put more money into the put then that is good news for us, not bad

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why does seeing a turn for free not seem like a good thing? we can call a shove anyway so no worry of getting locked out of our equity, if we see a turn and then dont put more money into the put then that is good news for us, not bad

I hear what you saying. Absolutely nothing wrong with seeing the Turn for free, and then giving up if not hitting the flush. It'd have to be one of the 2 scenarios

1) I check the Flop, he checks. Turn (no Flush) I check, he bets all-in, I fold

2) Flop: I check, he shoves all-in, I call

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yup, which seems better shoving tbh

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands