Guide to Continuation Betting (When and How to C-Bet in Poker)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The art of the continuation bet (or c-bet) is something that every good poker player should at least be familiar with. Continuation betting on the flop can help you take the pot down right away, or alternatively build a pot when you have a made hand. There are some factors to consider:

• Board Texture
  • Position
  • C-Bet Sizing
  • Reads on Opponents
Considering all factors correctly is what makes a good continuation betting strategy. But what are the specifics? We created The Ultimate Guide to Continuation Betting

Click the link to read the strategy article, and then post here to let us know what you think! Is c-betting something you are already doing, or have you been a little timid to get your feet wet in that regard? Are there other factors that you also consider when c-betting? We want to hear it.

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A good article, I like the discussion of wet and dry boards. It might also be noted that some players are better at pre-flop play as opposed to post-flop play, so if you are taking notes on their tendencies, you might capitalize on weak post-flop players.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A good article, I like the discussion of wet and dry boards. It might also be noted that some players are better at pre-flop play as opposed to post-flop play, so if you are taking notes on their tendencies, you might capitalize on weak post-flop players.
An excellent point and a good illustration on why it is so important to pay attention and have a "read" on players. I will definitely c-bet more against a passive player than a LAG player.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is an article that every poker player should read, the bet of continuation is very important in all instances of a tournament, there are players who handle it very well, professional players analyze very well
(Board Texture)
(Position)
(C-Bet Sizing)
(Reads on Opponents)
Before making the decision to make the continuation bet, analyzing those details is equivalent to the success you have in a tournament

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Without a doubt, this is an interesting article. I play poker for about a year and such information is very useful for me. I will try to apply this knowledge in practice. Thank you.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
C-betting is definitely an important part of your poker game and one that you should really spend time work on. When I first started playing poker I didn’t put much thought into it I was very aggressive and c-bet close to 95% of the time pretty indiscriminately of the board. As I have progressed I now always consider my opponents range, position, weather or not I have a perceived range advantage, the type of player I’m playing against, how many players in the pot as well as other factors. I think the more in-depth your thought process is the better you will get a c-betting at the right time to take down the pot and build the pot when you have a strong hand.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C-bet on the flop, I apply particularly only if I hit something, this includes two pairs, or very strong drow, this against two opponents, against one opponents appended to every 3 hands of poker played in a situation like this apply to c-bet on the flop even if I did not hit anything on the flop with the intention of stealing it.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting article. What you should keep in mind when making the bet (which 90% of the time should be standard when you start raising) is the flop, and the range of hands of your opponent that could have, and adapt it to the situation . (And also your letters, obviously)

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don’t play the push or fold strategy like some types of fish, then the continued bet must be in your arsenal of actions. Moreover, you should almost always c-bet if you have already made your bet pre-flop. There are a few exceptions that are associated with playing against certain villains. For example, some of them are convinced that the lack of a c-bet indicates your potentially good hand not in the flop. Sometimes it can be exploited - getting a set to a pocket pair and allowing the villain to fill the bank himself.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As always, it is important to vary your game and you should also try to balance your continuation bets according to the board's texture. If it is particularly wet, with lots of draws, then your c-bet is more likely to run into trouble.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for this excellent article, it helps to improve the game on the flop.
When making a c-bet, take into account that card, you can improve our game on the turn and river, and how many players are playing.
If you are against an agro player, maybe not a good idea to c-bet.
gl to all. :D

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
C-betting is something that it takes time to get really good at.

Especially when it comes to c-betting for value, this is a true art that you need to master if you want your poker journey not to stop at the lower limits. I agree about proceeding with caution when it comes to c-betting air/marginal hands on heavy-wet flops or/and multiway flops. I think that a cbet of 60-70% of the time is more than solid.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Continuation Betting

Good article. The points I believe are important are:
:pcguru:

1. Caution to open-ended straight draws or flush draws.
  2. Caution to two face cards.
  3. Caution toward another having top pair
  4. Watch out for C-Betting a spec hand
  5. Position is very important as well as tendencies for others to fold.
Of all items discussed, I feel position is most important. Knowing how others react to a flop before I bet is a huge success element. Raising when checked to is a point to consider. Showing strength under weakness is something that only practice can enhance.It's a must, though. Pre-flop planning with consideration given to "am I willing to call any bet or shove all-in" is crucial. Like any aspect of Holdem, C-Bet strategy is an important element of success.

:hahaha: :argh:

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The article was very helpful, it cleared up a few things for me. One suggestion I would ask though for slow people like me is if in the summary at the bottom if you could put a picture of a dry/wet flop over the recommendations. Might make it easier for people to visualize what they should look for when deciding to make their next move.

Navin Sarabjeet

Navin Sarabjeet

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
SR
Chips
Very interesting and quite helpfull article:D
Much appreciated with great replies:cool:

Gl at the tables:)

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop and knowing the pass/agg players often dictate my flop beti will miss the c-bet on occasion if the board is wet and i have hit, against some players hoping to induce more in the pot, On those dry boards will only continue if holding higher cards

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for this great article !I often try to bet (Cbet), the bet is good because your opponents often fold on it, all because you were the aggressor before the flop, so opponents think you have a strong starting hand, resulting in you multiplying your bankroll.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is an appropriate article, we meet these every time we play. C-betting is a basic strategy in poker. It characterizes poker and is from the poker customs you cannot play without them. It is a basic "tool"!!

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to have big problems with continued betting. I put the C-bet always and not having a position. Moreover, bet sizes were sometimes ridiculous and rivals were often not afraid of such rates. Now I am working on it and try to choose the right sizes for the C-bet. poker stars offers its sizes for bets and I have not changed their settings yet.
Half of the bank often looks good and allows you to disperse the bank when I need it.

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good read. Very good points , and it just goes to show that one needs to pay attention.
I love that term GOOD BOARD , BAD BOARD .
That is so true , and too many times it seems a bad board !
However , I have seen people win with crap , and they bet continuously on crap !
They actually throw people off their hands, so there is a lot to be learned from just betting.
Again , thank -you for the tips.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After reading this article, I made 3 conclusions about the C-Bet strategy.
1.Dry Board C-Bet-Yes
2.Draw Board C-Bet-No
3.Hit well in the flop-CBet-Yes
For the rest of the arguments requires knowledge of the opponent and such situations, the decision have to be taken solely on the basis of information which we know to be on the opponent. I think that betsizing deserves a separate and extended article.

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best time for a long bet is a table with only one opponent and an ace as the highest card on a different flop, with no obvious draws. Your rate should not exceed 40% -60% of sweat - thus, it turns out that it will be enough for you to win once out of three to make a profit and recoup your bids.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is the first time that I look closely on what is continuation betting.
I do this often, but sometimes I did it badly.
The C - bet is another powerful weapon we have to master to win the war on the felt.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, thanks for the link I am going to read it carefully, but I would like to say that like all of you I handle the concept of what and when to make a cbet, although I confess that lately it has lost a little sense for me in hands like AK, AQ, AJ, after making the raise (usually X3) I do not get anything on the flop I do the cbet and usually they are chips that are lost but thanks for the link the most likely is that the concept of the continuation bet is applied badly and that's why have that feeling

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
excellent article ... it is good to review and be very clear about these concepts about the C-bet ... I have always believed that the real action and the great players are those who handle the post-flop movements with great skill and skill ... !

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars